Main Menu

Shaker cable under the bubble ???

Started by Ric, September 02, 2018, 06:54:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Ric

I installed my cable the correct routing, install the bubble and its approx 2 inches to short..from the arm, enclosed is a pic of the routing(not mine) I got the cable from DCS approx 2 years ago, wondering if there was a problem. Diff lengths on the cable?? if you measure the cable , sheathing length 31.5  cable length is 35''

71vert340

I just had my shaker apart Friday to take some photos and answer some questions for another e-body owner. I would have been able to answer this question then. I took it apart all the way down to the carb. If no one has the measurement for you today, I'll pull it back apart tomorrow to get a measurement for you.
Terry

71vert340

As promised, I took my shaker apart and got the measurements. The plastic sheath on the cable is 30" end to end. The wire cable inside measures 33" eye to eye. My shaker is all original. Now, I'll tell you something I've learned over the years with my setup. If you put the cable into the saddle on the bottom side of the scoop, it is too short for the link up to the operating pivot arm on the side of the baseplate. Every time I remove my shaker after adjustment (the air doors operate properly), the cable sheath is not in the saddle molded into the bottom side of the scoop. The screws through the clips at each end of the sheath are what's important. If you notice in my photo, the sheath is not in the saddle upon disassembly. I leave the screw with the washer at the back of the scoop just snug on sheath but it allows the cable sheath to slide through with a little drag. I then place the scoop on the baseplate and attach the cable to the operating pivot arm and install the clip and screw by lightly pulling sheath until I can place the clip over the sheath and tighten screw. Today, I lifted up the scoop and looked to see if the sheath was in the saddle in scoop and it was not. The doors operate properly. If you look, the saddle is molded off center to the drivers side of the scoop. If it was in the center or slightly (1/2") to the passengers side, the cable would seat properly in the saddle. Before I took the photo, I placed the cable in the saddle and tightened down the back screw. It was almost 1" too short to hook up to the baseplate pivot arm. After I took the photo and set the scoop back on the baseplate, I hooked up the cable to the pivot arm on the baseplate and adjusted the sheath by lightly pulling/pushing through the back screw/washer until the sheath was seated in clip and tightened clip screw. I then lifted up the scoop enough to look under and the cable was not seated in the saddle anymore but was about 1/2" to 3/4" out of the saddle to the passengers side. Everything works great when not in the saddle though. I believe a mistake was made  on the saddle when designed. I have a repro scoop stored away and it's the same way. I hope this was informative. I've lived with this cable setup problem for 46 years on my car. It is all original - no repro parts.
Terry

Ric

Thank you very much !! That is the problem that I'm having, I have it routed correctly, but NOT correctly :))

71vert340

I decided to check inside the scoop after it was mounted. I operated the shaker cable to be sure the doors operate correctly. I then shined a light inside the scoop to see if the cable was in the saddle on the scoop. It isn't. See Photo.
Terry

71vert340

Quote from: Ric on September 02, 2018, 06:54:39 AM
I installed my cable the correct routing, install the bubble and its approx 2 inches to short..from the arm, enclosed is a pic of the routing(not mine) I got the cable from DCS approx 2 years ago, wondering if there was a problem. Diff lengths on the cable?? if you measure the cable , sheathing length 31.5  cable length is 35''

It appears DCS tried to correct the length of the reproduction cable ( 35" compared to my 33" cable and 31.5" compared to my 30" sheath) to make up for the offset scoop saddle. It will be interesting to see what you end up with.
Terry

Ric

I have  emailed them, explained to them the problem, hoping to see if there is longer cable in the works???

71vert340

So here's an interesting question. If a car is being restored as an OE restoration, would you use a shaker cable like mine ( an NOS one if found) that doesn't fit in the shaker cable saddle or a reproduction cable that does fit in the saddle?
Terry

screamindriver

Good question..A true OE judging event would be most likely be looking for the blue teleflex script on the cable if they were going that deep...I'd be willing to bet what you've found is the norm not the anomaly with OE parts... I had to move mine as well...Right after a few reference pics... ;)

Racer57

Quote from: screamindriver on September 03, 2018, 08:26:42 PM
Good question..A true OE judging event would be most likely be looking for the blue teleflex script on the cable if they were going that deep...I'd be willing to bet what you've found is the norm not the anomaly with OE parts... I had to move mine as well...Right after a few reference pics... ;)
Is that a ground strap that has a copper color ?

71vert340

HEMICUDA

Quote from: Racer57 on September 04, 2018, 05:43:14 AM
Quote from: screamindriver on September 03, 2018, 08:26:42 PM
Is that a ground strap that has a copper color ?

There's actually x2 ground straps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/70-71-Cuda-Challenger-Shaker-Hood-Grill-Ground-Straps/382549299078?hash=item5911b70f86:g:3XIAAMXQH-pRDfgI

71vert340

I would really like to see a photo of an OE restored shaker car bringing big $ at auctions to see if the air door cable really does stay in the saddle in the scoop or if it's out and to the passengers side like mine. Anybody have or can take a photo looking inside the shaker scoop like I did earlier in this thread and post it for comparison? Thanks.
Terry

CudaMoparRay

On a side note: I find it incredible how many things we find out about our cars years later, when we think we know pretty well everything and don't  :thinking: :wrenching: