Main Menu

Shopping for correct water pump housing.. help

Started by Jocigar, April 26, 2022, 12:40:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

I need to find a correct waterpump housing for late 1969 440 HP2,   I read enough from reference post to know to look for 2780987 with dual 1/2" npt.   

I am not sure how to read date code or if there is anything else to look for ?

I will also need water neck too if different than 3/8 and 1/2 type housings.

While I'm asking, what sensors are needed?

For the water pump itself any specific brand, order from who ?

I included 2 ebay links, and a FB market photo for housings that I found for sale in CA...  any look correct ?

Sorry for all the questions  :looney:     Thank You !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193726823396

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384221193480

ratroaster

6bblgt

I often see engines referred to by the casting date not the model year - no matter the date, I think you want early 1970 model year info   :thinking:

IMO you're better off asking about F440 HP details (late '69 gets too confusing) - '70 model year has one 1/2" & one 5/8" heater hose nipple

here's a former thread about water pump housings  :takealook:

https://forum.e-bodies.org/reference-material/18/details-big-block-water-pump-housings/12913/msg175212#msg175212

6bblgt

here's Tony's reproduction thermostat housing for reference or purchase  :takealook:

Jocigar

Thank you both for the helps and links !  Yes F code, cast 10/69 as I recall.    I am almost certain that I need the double 5/8" hose on housing 2780987.   

As for the rest of the numbers and date codes I have no idea how to decipher.   pentastar or not

There is an education to be had behind every nut and bolt, exhausting  :bricks:

I'll give mega a call see what they say.   thx

BIGSHCLUNK

Like this ?    :notsure:

blown motor

Don't use a chrome water neck. Very hard to get them to seal because they warp. I went through two and finally gave up. Got an old used cast one that somebody had on a shelf covered in dust and it hasn't leaked since.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Quote from: Jocigar on April 27, 2022, 06:30:33 AM

.    I am almost certain that I need the double 5/8" hose on housing 2780987.   

NO non-AC E Body ever had two 5/8" heater hoses  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

here is what I believe to be the original 9/23/69 water pump housing for 38K mile, non-A/C BS23U0B152174, SPD-A09, actual 10/11/69, with its original F440 10 7 HP engine  :takealook:

Jocigar

Thank you !   What do the numbers in WP-1 indicate?

Thx Alan, I must be watching too much grave yard cars, i thought he said anything pre 70 had 5/8 hose on both sides regardless.

6bblgt

Quote from: Jocigar on April 28, 2022, 09:02:48 AM

Thx Alan, I must be watching too much grave yard cars, i thought he said anything pre 70 MODEL YEAR had 5/8 hose on both sides regardless.

I don't know what the 9105/9903 indicate, but there are two housings in the other thread with the exact same numbers
& pre-1970 model year cars all used two 5/8" heater hose nipples

anlauto

Quote from: Jocigar on April 28, 2022, 09:02:48 AM

Thx Alan, I must be watching too much grave yard cars, i thought he said anything pre 70 had 5/8 hose on both sides regardless.

Yea, anything pre 70 does, but I assumed you were working on an E Body ?  :D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jocigar

:Thud:  ok, so pre 70 'model year'  ... 70 model year being built in 1969 does not apply.  got it, i think  :whiteflag: