Main Menu

Slapstick Linkage Adjustment

Started by gzig5, June 20, 2019, 09:24:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

When I got my car back after the faulty torque converter was replaced, I find that I've got to knock the shifter against the back of the gate to get it to go into each gear initially.  I didn't realize this when I picked it up.  Not sure what changed because this was never an issue and the link from the torque bar doesn't appear to have been messed with.  The rod does have a bit of radial play and lost motion in the hole in the shift arm on the trans that I can probably take out with a thin sleeve.  I probably need new torque bar bushings too.  Either way I need to tweak it so it goes into gear in the middle of the shifter gate.  Couldn't find a process online, everything dealt with the kickdown linkage.  Is there anything special to it other than putting the arm in the D position and adjusting the rod from the shifter?  Preload it in one direction or the other?

Chryco Psycho

it is a sensative adjustment often easier with 2 people but just move the slider on the bottom rod a hair

kawahonda

Process is outlined in the FSM....

Involves the area below the steering wheel to be centered/locked in position. You'll need to remove the console completely in order to perform the adjustment. You'll also need to have access to get underneath the car. It's not difficult, but there's several things involved.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

gzig5

Quote from: kawahonda on June 20, 2019, 09:58:40 AM
Process is outlined in the FSM....

Involves the area below the steering wheel to be centered/locked in position. You'll need to remove the console completely in order to perform the adjustment. You'll also need to have access to get underneath the car. It's not difficult, but there's several things involved.

Looking in the 72 FSM I don't have any of that linkage from the steering column back to the trans.  Mine is the T-handle slapstick.   All there is is the torque shaft coming down and the lower rod and swivel connecting to the shift lever.  So it looks like it is pretty straight forward.  Put shifter and lever in Park and adjust rod to drop in without resistance.  I must need to just tweak it a little bit to get the shifter off the back of the gate.  I'm sure the slop in the parts isn't helping any but I'll take care of that later.