Main Menu

Slapstick question

Started by JH27N0B, March 06, 2023, 08:20:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

I bought one of 69Bfans nice repo slapstick shifter handles recently and installed it last weekend when we had a nice little warmup.
When I installed it, i put the key in and turned the ignition to the run position, and tried out the new shifter to make sure it shifted into all the positions.  Later I tried doing that with the key out and it still worked.  Is a '70 Slapstick supposed to have a lockout feature to keep it from shifting out of park except when the ignition switch is in run?
The car is still in winter hibernation so I didn't actually start the car.
My other E bodies are sticks and even though I've had the convertible over 25 years I never tried shifting when the car wasn't running!
Also, I assume there is s lockout to keep the car from being started except when the shifter is in park and maybe neutral?

anlauto

The "lock-out" feature has nothing to do with the shifter itself, it's all under the car in the form of several linkage pieces attached to the transmission shift lever, they all have to be in place to lock everything.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

You can see the lockout rods in this picture