Main Menu

Still have clutch issues. :(

Started by Racer57, July 26, 2024, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

70 Cuda, 383, Tremec 3450 or 3550 5 speed, Ram HD diaphragm pressure plate. 

A while back I had clutch adjustment issues and thought I had it taken care of. I don't drive the car much, but couple days go went to a cruise and was in a lot of stop/go traffic. After a lot of shifting, it was starting to grind a little going from neutral at stop light to 1st.

I have zero play at the top of pedal and feel like the clutch is going to be slipping if I adjust the z bar linkage anymore.  The company that installed the Tremec did a pretty lousy job and I have found other problems that I've had to correct.

In order to eliminate issues.... Is there a chance I have a clutch fork for an A or B body or even a small block ? Is there a difference between them that might cause an issue like this ?   :pullinghair:

Racer57

Z bar pin was moved to lower location in order to straighten the angle of linkage in the past and had seemed to help at the time.

Bullitt-

Brewers shows the different forks & indicates the length at 10-7/8" CF702

http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.php?cat=102
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

MoparCarGuy

Have you considered switching to a hydraulic clutch?
Silver Sport Transmissions (SST) and American Powertrain both have kits.

Chryco Psycho

Tilton & McCleod both have kits , I have used both , they work well

Mr Cuda

You still have an angle issue eating up your travel.
All pivot leverage points should be
90°.
You might have to lenghten an arm on the bellcrank.

What happened when you ran the pivot in the lower location?

Racer57

Quote from: Mr Cuda on July 28, 2024, 07:21:22 AMYou still have an angle issue eating up your travel.
All pivot leverage points should be
90°.
You might have to lenghten an arm on the bellcrank.

What happened when you ran the pivot in the lower location?
It seemed to give me a little more travel. I hadn't thought about the bell crank being the issue. It would explain a lot.

Racer57

Anyone have a picture of the linkage installed ? Its been a very long time since Ive seen anything other than mine.

Bullitt-

This seems pretty far out there but thought worth mentioning.
It seems there is an issue if a thinner than stock flywheel is used that requires a spacer for the clutch fork. Not much detail, only a couple of posts in a lengthy tread

Just an FYI, when I changed to a Hays billet flywheel, I had to add a spacer to fork pivot bracket to make up for thinner flywheel thickness. NOT an easy job installed in car with big tube headers !!! Best to measure and do it at install. My understanding is that Centerforce billet flywheel ($$) would not need this mod.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/lakewood-bellhousing-info.244417/post-912223690
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Racer57

No other suggestions as to what the issue is ?