Main Menu

Three speed swap to four...

Started by superdave, January 08, 2018, 08:27:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

superdave

:dunno: Pardon my ignorance but I wonder... we are working on a 318 car that will be a "Sunday driver". It had a three speed manual transmission and we plan to put a 4 speed in it. Does anyone know if we will need to change the rear end also? :thinking: As I recall that first gear was really "tall", I have seen a few 383s with a three speed and I could see myself smoking the clutch or tires or both getting things moving with that setup. :o  :rofl:

RUNCHARGER

It will depend on what your first gear ratio is in your 3 speed. I think they generally have a lower first gear than a regular 4 speed does so it might be a bit harder to get off the line than a 3 speed.  If your rear axle ratio is 3.23 that is generally what was standard with a 4 speed 340 or 383 car.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

the 3 speed is basically a wider ratio with only 3 speeds not 4 , no need to swap rear ends with the 4 speed

superdave

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 11, 2018, 06:32:22 AM
the 3 speed is basically a wider ratio with only 3 speeds not 4 , no need to swap rear ends with the 4 speed
Thank you. Now that I think about it that three speed seemed like they skipped first and you had to start in second or really close to it. :thumbdown:

Dakota

Just curious - is the drive shaft length the same for a stock 3 speed and 4 speed?

Chryco Psycho