Main Menu

Torque Converter Recommendation

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, August 31, 2021, 10:55:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Helping a friend replace his old converter. We have learned that TCI doesn't offer one so I'm looking for other decent options. Trying to stay away from B&M and similar stuff as I've heard the quality can be very hit and miss.

The transmission is a 904 out of a 1984 Diplomat. Works great so we'd rather not switch it out. I don't have lots of experience with automatics but it looks like the input shaft is smaller than other units I've seen. Possibly they made it smaller in 1984 because the engines then were so weak?

The engine is a mild 360 with an RV cam and headers. The transmission should be able to handle it but we could use advice on stall speed and a company that offers a quality unit in that stall.

Thanks

76orangewagon

I had a couple from PTC (Performance Torque Converters) out of Muscle Shoals, Alabama, and they worked great . I attached a link for a Spec sheet that shows you all the information needed to get you the right converter.

http://www.ptcrace.com/spec-sheet/

Bill Rolik

You should also consider Turbo Action in Jacksonville, FL.

Multiple choices for all Mopar applications, and after 40 years, quality has never been an issue with anything I have purchased.

Bill Rolik

MoparLeo

Really unless there is something wrong with the factory converter there is no reason to change to a higher stall unit. They build more heat in the trans( a transmission cooler is always a good idea) and will eat more gas as they never come close to locking up(they slip like a worn clutch) Save you money for something more important and more necessary.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

tparker

I am a novice at torque converters and was in a similar boat. I build a 416 stroker and the cam suggested a higher stall than stock. After looking around and settling on something, I would read reviews and people would trash that maker. LOL. I didn't want to spend a fortune either, and some get crazy ridiculous expensive. I ended up going with Hughes. They seemed reasonable and weren't too expensive. I called and they spec'd one out that met my needs. I almost did Boss Hog but either I read bad reviews or they didn't have one near the specs the cam called for.

Skid Row

I purchased mine from A&A transmissions in Indy,They took extra time with me to ask everything about my car. Ended up with a 2200-2400 stall at a very good price.

70 Challenger Lover

So we've learned this is a lockup converter which is why no one seems to have something ready to go. We did call the race shop in Muscle Shoals Alabama but their advice seemed questionable. According to them, they think he needs a 2800 stall in his mild 360. That seems pretty high to me. And they want $600

I'm tempted to just have him get a low cost Rock Auto stock replacement instead.

benguin

From a performance standpoint, the 2800 may be ok.  I'm not familiar with performance lockup converters though.

From the 1970 repair manual, here were the stock stall speed specs...

70 Challenger Lover

Thanks for that. Good information!

In the end, it was too much trouble so he went with a box store factory replacement. Works pretty well.