Main Menu

Trying to find the correct belt

Started by Michael_B767_ATP, January 09, 2018, 02:25:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi Everyone,

I'm now on my second shipment from Quanta. I ordered two fan belts for my 70 challenger 440 with AC, the first set they sent me were for a 71 and had to be returned. Now they sent me two that show they are for the car but they are about two inches too long. The Quanta numbers are B-4734A, are these correct for the alt ac unit, if so why are they so long?.

I also noticed on their gastanks web site, it shows the same original mopar part number 2658792 for both their B-4734A and B-4734-E belts.

End to end these belts are 28" I believe I need 26/24".

Thanks
Mike

Roadman

Crank pulley correct for the application. ?  Aftermarket could be a different diameter. 

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi,

She is suppose to be a numbers matching vehicle not sure if that helps answer the question, if not... would there be a number I can find on the pulley that I can check?.

Thanks
Mike

LinceCuda

Just take whatever belts you have down to your local auto parts store they have belts in different sizes that aren't for any particular car. If your belt is too long or short you can lay your belt on theirs and go either way adding or subtracting inches until you get a match. I've never had to make more than 2 trips to the O'Reilly's or Auto Zone to find a fit good luck.

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi,

I'm trying to put authentic restoration parts on the car, I believe Quanta is the only game in town.

Thanks
Mike

Jim AAR

Take a piece of wire and wrap it around your pulley's with it as small as you can make it (adjustment bottomed out) and take the measurement.

Then make it as long as you can (Adjustment fully extended) and take the measurement, then split the measurement somewhere in the middle and then you will have the size you need.

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the help, I'll do that.

Thanks
Mike

RUNCHARGER

Just so you are aware, those belts have a habit of stretching and not really being usable if you try to drive the car with them.
Sheldon

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi,

She really just goes to shows down here in Florida. Being on O2 it's hard to just go cruising with the wife, easier to hit a few shows when the weather is nice and sit and relax. Knowing that stretching is an issue, it would be nice if the repos were made a little smaller to make up for the stretching.

Thanks
Mike

HP_Cuda

Gates belts might make your ride a little more enjoyable albeit not exact OEM condition.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200