Main Menu

Valve cover breathers?

Started by Cudajason, October 26, 2020, 07:46:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

What are you guys doing for valve cover breathers.

I am running a PCV on the pass side and a regular breather on the driver side.  The breather has a significant amount of oil seepage.  Enough that you can smell burning oil as you drive and I have a small puddle after driving the car.  This is the only leak I have and I would love to fix it.

I am considering a breather that vents to the air cleaner, but not sure I have to room under the low profile air cleaner.

The valve covers I am running do not have baffles, could I install some to prevent to oil seepage?  Not sure the a baffle will fit with out hitting the rockers.

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

RUNCHARGER

Baffles are a good idea. You could run a hose from the breather to underneath the car like the 50's cars had. I always run the breather through the air cleaner but understand the problem with some aftermarket air cleaners.
Sheldon

Dakota

I'd add the baffles if you can.  I have Mopar Performance valve covers.  They have bosses for mounting baffle plates on the inside.  The covers didn't come with the plates, but they can be purchased.   

I can try to look up where I bought mine if you need a source for this type. 

JonH

I would be concerned as to why you have positive pressure at the breather. If your pcv system is working correctly you should be drawing fresh air through that breather into the crankcase. The fresh air is replacing the crankcase fumes pulled through the pcv and into the intake. Make sure your pcv system is working correctly. Definitely put a baffle under the breather and pcv openings. Valve train spray could be a lot of your issue. As others have mentioned you can also run a hose from the breather to your air cleaner, however that alone will not fix your problem...

Cudajason

Quote from: JonH on October 26, 2020, 11:43:15 AM
I would be concerned as to why you have positive pressure at the breather. If your pcv system is working correctly you should be drawing fresh air through that breather into the crankcase. The fresh air is replacing the crankcase fumes pulled through the pcv and into the intake. Make sure your pcv system is working correctly. Definitely put a baffle under the breather and pcv openings. Valve train spray could be a lot of your issue. As others have mentioned you can also run a hose from the breather to your air cleaner, however that alone will not fix your problem...

@JonH h   Interesting question...I was thinking this was just valvetrain spray, but it is a lot of it. I will check the PCV and make sure it is OK.  I would think if it the PCV is working as intended there would be very minimal if any valvetrain spray out the breather as the air is coming in?

Hmmm, could it be that the breather is old and saturated with oil and needs to be replaced?

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

HP2

Rockers throw oil everywhere. If you have the option of screwing a baffle under the cap, its probably worth it. If you had positive pressure, it would be a bigger mess than drips. It would splatter all over the valve cover.

Other options are a closed breather with a hose to the air cleaner. Since the hose heads uphill, oil runs back down into the head. Or you route the hose to a remote breather with the ability to collect and drain the oil. Like a radiator puke tank.

JonH

Is this a new situation, or ongoing? I would do as others have said and put in a baffle, replace related parts, grommets get hard and brittle, breather, pcv etc. If the problem persists, you may have engine blow by. How many miles on the motor? Has it been sitting? You said it is a considerable amount and puddles. (assume on the floor) Somewhat concerning if a new symptom. Difficult to diagnose over the internet, but you have been given some good ideas and a place to start...

TGGodfrey

You can do what i did on my 69 superbee.  I run a -10 line from each valve cover to a breather tank.  I used the Stef's tank and welded a second -10 male fitting so each line has a dedicated fitting.  My valve covers are MP with -10 male fittings i welded on.  You obviously don't have to weld them like I did.

The Breather tank is mounted on my passenger side towards the lower rad bolt.  (remember B-body has nothing there)

I can get you pictures tonight if you like.

Terry

Chryco Psycho

Without a baffle inside the cover the PCV system could be sucking up a fair amount of oil also & causing plug fouling

Jim AAR

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 06, 2020, 06:32:17 PM
Without a baffle inside the cover the PCV system could be sucking up a fair amount of oil also & causing plug fouling

Yep what he said....