Main Menu

Valve cover removal tips

Started by nsmall, August 28, 2017, 11:05:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I need to take my  valve covers off as I am painting the engine and want to mock up my new valve covers.

Does anyone have any tips?  I dont want damage the OEM covers.  At this point the bolts are removed and they are stuck on pretty tight.

Thanks

Cuda Cody

Sometime people will use a bit of sealant to get them to stop leaking.  If you have all the fasteners off, they will come off with a little persuasion.

rebelyell

Rock them back and forth intake to manifold.  May have to put a little muscle into it, but they'll come off.

70/6chall

For a stubborn VC, the rocking method is a useful tip, I've used it myself. I've used a putty knife and carefully pried the cover a little at a time. Be forceful but gentle and you'll be able to get cover and gasket off at same time. This goes to show be complete but sparing with the gasket sealer.     
      Thanks,   Al

cudabob496

72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

nsmall

Got er did.  Thank for the advice.