Main Menu

Complete dash removal tips needed

Started by JunkYardFind, February 13, 2021, 05:22:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JunkYardFind

So how difficult is it REALLY to pull the dash out? I am seeing 2 bolts each inside the top vents. These seem pretty accessible with a swivel socket. Tips to get at these with the windshield in place would be helpful.

I know the 2 bolts on the far L & R under the dash that you just loosen and swivel the dash down once top bolts are out. I am currently the world record holder for the number of times pulling the light switch and dash cluster out, so no problem there.

Obviously lots of wire connections will need to be disconnected. (A couple youtube vids show most of this.) Unfortunately I will not be replacing the wiring harness. Does the steering column need to completely come out or can I get away with just lowering it?

What else am I missing? ANY tips on this job would be much appreciated.
Thanks. - JunkYard Jeff

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

anlauto

Here are 26 easy steps:

1)Open Hood
1.5) Dis-connect battery
2)Remove four plugged wire harnesses from bulk head
3)Remove two nuts holding bulkhead in place
4)Open doors
5)Remove A pillar trim and associated trim
6)Remove Kick Panels and associated trim
7)Unplug both door jamb light switches
8)Unplug E Brake warning wire
9)Unplug tail light harness
10)Unplug dimmer Switch
11)Reach up and unplug heater box
12)Unplug console light
13)Disconnect antenna
14)At the heater control, disconnect both heater cables
15)Unplug both steering column harnesses
16)Unplug brake pedal switch, both wires
17)Undo both vent cables and let them hang
18)Remove 3 steering column bolts at firewall
19)Remove to nuts on steering column at the dash
20)Lower column and allow to hang
21)Remove 4 bolts at windshield using a 1/4 drive flex
22)Remove 2 bolts at door pillars
23) Disconnect speedometer cable.
24)Prepare for a heavy dash to fall on your lap
25)Yell to wife for help
26) Have a cold beer, you're done
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

72hemi

Quote from: anlauto on February 13, 2021, 06:53:18 PM
Here are 26 easy steps:

1)Open Hood
1.5) Dis-connect battery
4)Open doors
10)Unplug dimmer Switch
12)Unplug console light
13)Disconnect antenna
25)Yell to wife for help

Yup this is a great list! As stated you do not have to remove the steering column, just lower it. You can physically remove it by yourself, I recently did, but I don't recommend it. I had it laying on my and I remember thinking well this was dumb lol.
Life's too short to drive boring cars

JunkYardFind

Quote from: anlauto on February 13, 2021, 06:53:18 PM
Here are 26 easy steps:

1)Open Hood
1.5) Dis-connect battery
4)Open doors
10)Unplug dimmer Switch
12)Unplug console light
13)Disconnect antenna
25)Yell to wife for help

@anlauto WOW! Thanks for the list! It will certainly be a good guide. For now, I am skipping to task 26 & may redo it a couple times :)

tparker

I did mine a while ago. I don't recall the steps, but obviously @anlauto has that covered. But my two cents is that it isn't that difficult. I did it. LOL. For me, the hardest thing I recall is the bolts up top in the vents. They were a little tricky. I did not take out the steering wheel when I took out the dash, just lowered it. I did have the front windshield out so that helped immensely. Not sure if it can easily be done with it in. The two lower bolts on the side were used to hold everything in place. I loosened them but left them in until the dash was ready to remove. I would also recommend taking lots of photos once you get the dash out if your going to recover it or what not. It is easy to loose track of what goes where. I would recommend labeling wires. Again, it wasn't too hard.

JunkYardFind

Alright, decided to knock this out sooner rather than later. (of course I have already redone task 26 a few times today :) Should make for a good video! Just emailed Just Dashes for a quote. Fortunately I live fairly close to them and can save on shipping the core. I have seen them every year at the Spring Fling Mopar show here in SoCal. We have a vendor tent there every year also. Not sure if the show is happening in April, sure hope so!

blown motor

I bought a 1/4 drive flexible extension to deal with the two bolts inside the top vents. Also, when you have the dash out paint the inside of those vents. I didn't of it until it was too late.  :headbang:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

73chalngr

Make yourself some kind of frame or stand to place it on once you get it out so you can work on it . Maybe remove the steering wheel to .

njsteve

Who needs a stand when you have a 1971 Lincoln and your kid's papasan chair cushion...

70/6chall

20 years ago I also was in the process of looking to replace my dash pad in my '70 Challenger. After sitting out in the triple digit and 30 degree chill of summers and winters here in SoCal and 25 years of daily driving service and parking out in the driveway. The original interior panels and the dashpad were garbage. The first thing to go and be changed out was the dashpad. A good friend had given up on his '70 R/T Challenger project car during a divorce , and sold it off. I thought Wow! that's really sad because I knew how much he wanted to put it back together. So, I got a call from him later wanting to know if I wanted the black OE 3-speaker non-air  '70 dashpad that was left. I had seen this pad many times while visiting him and knew the condition was beautiful and unblemished. He had kept the pad for me and sold it to me for $100.00 with speakers and grills. It took me one weekend to remove the old and put the new OE one in, without any instructional help. But I must have done it right because no electrical glitches or parts left over plagued me. Just figured it out as I went. Thanks,  Al

tparker

I forgot exactly what I did, but essentially I added two bolts to saw horses and used that to hold my dash. I probably got the idea from the web somewhere. It's not so much of an issue if your dash needs to be sent to Just Dashes to be redone.

I LOVED my dash when I got it back from them. It cost just under $1000. I can't remember the exact cost. Just a note, cover your dash. 3 years later I am getting some cracks around the vents. It gets hot here in the summer and I left the car out in the sun too long. Cover it up.