Main Menu

Vapor Shield Screw Size?

Started by Iron_Cuda71, February 21, 2020, 12:25:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Iron_Cuda71

Can anyone tell me what size screws are used to install the vapor shield under the passenger side rear, that protects the vapor vent tube lines.
1971 cuda. I found the below picture of the screws in place.

1 Wild R/T

Those screws are wrong.... Should be Phillips with a captured washers...

anlauto

I think it's a hex head screw similar to the ones in your picture :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

So, which one is it.  Do we have a third  voice to go with one or the other.   Hex or phillips head? 
How about some pictures of an original survivor car? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Challenger in NC

They should be #10-14, 5/8"L Philips head screws with 1/2" captive washers according to E-body fastener guide

JS29

anlauto

Quote from: JS29 on February 22, 2020, 10:12:01 AM
So 1wildr/t is correct!  :1place:

I based my OPINION on the dozens of cars I've taken apart, sorry no pictures of survivor cars. These screws are usually buried in undercoating anyways.

But for reference today, I refer to David Wise's "Guide to E Body Fasteners" Volume 1 Version 1.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

cuda hunter

ok, so two books and two different screws. 

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Who's got the third book?   :pokeeye:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Challenger in NC

Mine is version 4 so i guess it got revised?

Katfish

71vert340

In the interest of this discussion, I went out to the garage and scraped the undercoating off of the vapor line cover screws to get an answer from our 71 Challenger hardtop. This cover has never been removed. I also checked the 71 convertible and it is the same as the hardtop.  See photo for the answer.

anlauto

I think all that it proves is there is never a definitive answer when it comes to assembly techniques used on these cars 50 years ago.....Do we really think someone care enough which screw was used ?  "oh we have to stop the line because we're out of hex head screws..." I'm sure there were substitutions made all the time. :alan2cents:

anlauto

I find it interesting that the Dave Wise book makes no mention of a revision, or the fact that more then one type of screw could have been used.

I always figured his books were at the core of OE type judging....Does this mean that someone could get points deducted for using the wrong screws depending on which guide they used :looney: :thinking:

Brads70

Quote from: Katfish on February 22, 2020, 01:01:10 PM
I'd use 1 of each.....

:rofl:  Good one!
My car ( no idea how "original" is was) had the philips head screws and washers LA car. Maybe different plants used different fasteners?

1 Wild R/T