Main Menu

What hedders for a small block....

Started by Matt13, October 06, 2020, 10:56:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

I think the Hooker 5115 are 1 3/4" all the way to the collector which is bigger than the standard 1 5/8" on the cheaper ones as well as Doug's.  TTI steps from 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" I guess to give some room around the plugs and bolts.  I picked up a used and abused set (cheap) of 5115's because they go over the linkage and the larger pipes should better serve the future stroker motor and high flowing heads.  TTI just hasn't been in the budget since all the surprise body work came up.  The Hookers should get me by as I attend to the higher priority items.  Heck the crappy Hedmans would have as well if the passenger side hadn't caught the trailer and got bent down 2" loading on the trailer.  :verymad:

Scooter

Quote from: 7212Mopar on October 07, 2020, 12:55:00 PM
I would imagine if it can go in one piece you should be able to take it out the same.

Sure... but I like the skin on my knuckles and sanity right where they are.  :))

Scooter

Matt if you need something on the cost effective side I've got these Hedman tight tubes sitting on a shelf in my garage taking up space.

Topcat

There's a Rule about After Market that needs to be Tattoo'd on your Arm. 

If you change one part, then other parts will need to be changed; related with the system.

It's so easy to get sucked in on a part like a cam or exhaust or  even a carburetor.
Then later find out you opened a Pandora's Box.

Just a small change like I did on a 426 Hemi engine; changed valve dia. which was hitting valve covers from a bigger Camshaft. Were talking millimeters and gasket durometers to correct it.

Back to Headers....They will eventually Cook plastic and rubber parts.

They do transfer heat really well into the engine compartment. Thinner than Cast.
There are wraps  to keep the heat down below.

How much you drive and how well you handle Header drone decibels is....Your call.

Matt13

Quote from: Scooter on October 07, 2020, 02:40:55 PM
Matt if you need something on the cost effective side I've got these Hedman tight tubes sitting on a shelf in my garage taking up space.

I appreciate the offer! I picked up a set of the hooker super comps today on the cheap. The guy I got them from had them on his 340 before he pulled the motor. He also had a brand new torque converter w/ a 2000 stall which is exactly what I needed. He has a beautiful 1970 tuxedo black Cuda. Hopefully he becomes a member here. Nice guy. Lives in Danville.

Scooter

^^^ Great... your build seems to be piling up nicely! Should be a stout 340.  :bigthumb:

Smallblock340

Quote from: Scooter on October 07, 2020, 12:43:27 PM
I recommend TTI... just installed a set of shorty's and I lovem.

No fitment or ground clearance issues any more.

Had a set of ceramic coated Hookers on it, thought so much of them and the fitment this is how I took them out:

:alan2cents:

@Scooter Did you install the TTI 1-5/8" Shorty Headers on a 340? Any performance differences noticable when compared with the Hooker headers?
I still have doubts between the TTi shorties and the TTi Full-Length Step Headers... :thinking:
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

tparker

I was going with TTI then I started looking at Dougs. Still not totally sure, but am leaning towards the TTIs. I can't make up my mind if I want/need the shorties or regular headers.

Thoughts?

gzig5

I would say if you aren't sure, then you probably can get away with the shorties.  The full length are going to give a few more HP but on a street cruiser you likely couldn't tell the difference.  If the shorties fit well, give better access, and don't interfere with steering or other components, they may be a better choice.  Full length headers will by design, block more access.

Scooter

Quote from: Smallblock340 on October 08, 2020, 11:21:46 PM
Quote from: Scooter on October 07, 2020, 12:43:27 PM
I recommend TTI... just installed a set of shorty's and I lovem.

No fitment or ground clearance issues any more.

Had a set of ceramic coated Hookers on it, thought so much of them and the fitment this is how I took them out:

:alan2cents:

@Scooter Did you install the TTI 1-5/8" Shorty Headers on a 340? Any performance differences noticable when compared with the Hooker headers?
I still have doubts between the TTi shorties and the TTi Full-Length Step Headers... :thinking:

Yup... the TTI 1-5/8 shorty's on my 360LA.

If anything it feels like I gained a bit of torque on the low end.

I don't really tack this SB up to where you'd feel the effects of the longtubes that often anyway.

So a bit more kick off the line worked out better for me and they are soooo easy to install it's silly.

Scooter

Really hard to describe how much space & ease of maintenance you get back with the shorty's.

To give you some perspective... here is a shot with the longtube Hookers

And with the TTI shorty's