Main Menu

best mufflers to hear a lopey cam

Started by dave73, September 20, 2017, 06:06:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

I have a decently lopey cam in my 512 and fell in love with the sound of it when I started it up open headers, prior to installing the exhaust. Now I have a TTI X pipe into dynomax super turbos. Originally thought I wanted it a little quieter but now I think it's too quiet and you barely can tell the car has a cam. Any recommendations? Thinking of moving to dynomax ultra flo's

303 Mopar

If you want loud www.drgas.com .  They make mufflers for straight back exhaust too.   :banana:

dave73

That's what you have on your car? How do they compare to dynomax race bullets - they sound awesome but may be a little too much for the street?

mopar thunder

I have Dynomax Super Flos but I am running a pretty beefed up engine so not a good comparision. I like the way it sounds though.... especially with the cut outs....  :bradsthumb:

303 Mopar

Quote from: dave73chally on September 20, 2017, 08:00:12 AM
That's what you have on your car? How do they compare to dynomax race bullets - they sound awesome but may be a little too much for the street?

They are just under open headers, which you said you like.  I love them and was aiming for loud but legal. 

Burdar

Muffler sound is very subjective.  I rarely hear people say they like the sound of a Flowmaster but I think they sound great.  On the other end, I've never heard a Dynomax muffler that I thought sounded good. 

A Flowmaster 40 will be loud and you can definitely hear the lope of the cam.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Burdar on September 20, 2017, 09:33:20 AM
Muffler sound is very subjective.  I rarely hear people say they like the sound of a Flowmaster but I think they sound great.  On the other end, I've never heard a Dynomax muffler that I thought sounded good. 

A Flowmaster 40 will be loud and you can definitely hear the lope of the cam.
I run Flowmaster series 40's on my Cuda. Yes it's loud and yes it sounds wicked. Very aggressive sounding and you can definitely hear the cam. I like the cambered canister type sound but it's not for everyone. 

Shane Kelley

I put a video of it running in the gallery. TTI headers and exhaust with X pipe. 2 1/2 inch pipe w TTI tips.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/gallery/sa=view;id=464

Strawdawg

Steve

RUNCHARGER

I ran Ultraflows on my orange Challenger, I liked them a lot better than the super turboes that TTI sent for the green Challenger.
Sheldon

Burdar

Shane, that's the PERFECT sound right there! Exactly what I'm after.

usraptor

Quote from: dave73chally on September 20, 2017, 06:06:14 AM
I have a decently lopey cam in my 512 and fell in love with the sound of it when I started it up open headers, prior to installing the exhaust. Now I have a TTI X pipe into dynomax super turbos. Originally thought I wanted it a little quieter but now I think it's too quiet and you barely can tell the car has a cam. Any recommendations? Thinking of moving to dynomax ultra flo's

I also have the 512 stroker, Lunati 704 cam, TTI headers, X pipe, 3" exhaust with the dyomax ultra flo's .  Great sound.  I'd post a video here of it idling but can't see to make it work here.   :thinking:

dave73

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 20, 2017, 05:14:09 PM
I ran Ultraflows on my orange Challenger, I liked them a lot better than the super turboes that TTI sent for the green Challenger.

Yea I'm trying to decide between those, the boomtube style side exhaust or race bullets. The super turbos sound decent at idle but when you step on it, they are way too quiet for what my motor is packing. The lack of drone is nice but I don't daily drive the car so I don't care about that really...

ViperMan

Quote from: Shane Kelley on September 20, 2017, 10:04:20 AM
I put a video of it running in the gallery. TTI headers and exhaust with X pipe. 2 1/2 inch pipe w TTI tips.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/gallery/sa=view;id=464

@Shane Kelley that Cuda sounds absolutely incredible and I freakin' love it which of course means I hate you a little...   :haha:

:bradsthumb:

303 Mopar

Quote from: dave73chally on September 21, 2017, 08:32:54 AM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 20, 2017, 05:14:09 PM

Yea I'm trying to decide between those, the boomtube style side exhaust or race bullets. The super turbos sound decent at idle but when you step on it, they are way too quiet for what my motor is packing. The lack of drone is nice but I don't daily drive the car so I don't care about that really...

Another thing that I liked about the Boom Tube side exhaust is that the muffler is included in the exhaust tip which really cleaned up the install.  I also went from an X to and H because the tone is deeper, more muscle car sound and not "newer" car sound.