Main Menu

Doug's headers with what exhaust?

Started by tparker, April 24, 2021, 11:54:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I have been walffling between Doug's and TTI headers. Dougs are about $200 cheaper and I can get free shipping, TTI would be an extra $60 or so. But it looks like it's gonna be another month before I can get them plus another which is almost a 2 month delay before the can be installed. Argh.

Has anyone installed Doug headers with TTI exhaust? I am currious if they mate up or if some fabrication is needed? I believe TTI sells an adapter kit for $45-90. I'm assuming that will be needed but just verifying.

Scooter

Quote from: tparker on April 24, 2021, 11:54:22 AM
I have been walffling between Doug's and TTI headers. Dougs are about $200 cheaper and I can get free shipping, TTI would be an extra $60 or so. But it looks like it's gonna be another month before I can get them plus another which is almost a 2 month delay before the can be installed. Argh.

Has anyone installed Doug headers with TTI exhaust? I am currious if they mate up or if some fabrication is needed? I believe TTI sells an adapter kit for $45-90. I'm assuming that will be needed but just verifying.

I believe all you would need is the adapter from the collector to the X pipe. Probably cut to fit and clamp.. no fab necessary.

JonH

Chances are you will have to modify. I have TTI exhaust with older headers (don't know make) and had to modify the connectors. TTI headers have a slight bend or angle toward the center of the car. I don't think other makes are made that way...

shawge

JonH is right, the Dougs do go straight back whereas the TTIs point towards the two exhaust clearways in the frame.
I've got a set of Dougs for a 383/400 connected to TTI 3" H exhaust. I got their header back system and the universal adapter (2x straight flanges, 2x 90deg elbows, bolts, etc)
The adapter instructions were easy to follow to make an S curve to tie them together.

1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

tparker

1972V21Cuda

If I was going to buy headers for a Mopar, I'd only use a TTi....

tparker

@1972V21Cuda Any thing wrong with Doug's headers or just that happy with TTI? They would be my first choice but between the expense and the the extra wait I'm leaning towards Dougs. I have heard only good things with them and they seem to be as well designed as TTI and well recommend. I would be interested in hearing any reasons to avoid them

1972V21Cuda

Quote from: tparker on April 25, 2021, 09:31:49 AM
@1972V21Cuda Any thing wrong with Doug's headers or just that happy with TTI? They would be my first choice but between the expense and the the extra wait I'm leaning towards Dougs. I have heard only good things with them and they seem to be as well designed as TTI and well recommend. I would be interested in hearing any reasons to avoid them

There are very few aftermarket companies that devote themselves entirely to Mopar-only products. Compared to Chevy & Ford guys, our aftermarket options are relatively small. So, since TTi makes a great product & they're loyal to Mopar people, my vote goes to them.

1970Mopower

I have a close friend selling brand new ceramic coated 1 7/8x3" TTI headers that were for a 71 Challenger, never used. He's going stock exhaust manifolds for a restoration. He's 30 minutes east of Sacramento. No shipping no tax and about 25% less than it would cost to order them now without the back order headache. Let me know if you're interested.

On a side note, I have Doug's on 440 B body. Fit like a glove, amazing quality. I don't like that they are not made / finished 100% in the USA though.

Both are great headers but I'd lean TTI if your starting from scratch. Go Mopar and those who support us!

tparker

@1970Mopower Thanks for responding. I ended up buying Doug headers. I found a dude selling a set cheap and rushed on it and didn't look at the part number carefully and end up with a set of 383 headers for $500. Not a bad deal but I need to unload them. Then I went out and bought the correct small block set. So I am up to my neck in Dougs headers. LOL. I just have to get the exhaust. My last major purchase 8)

Cbridgewater

@1970Mopower if the TTI headers are for a small block I would be interested in purchasing, sent you a PM

1970Mopower

Darn! Thanks for your interest but they are for a big block application. I should have specified in my original reply to this thread. I also just learned I have to get 10 posts before I can PM. Will let you know if I hear of any others that would be a match for your car.