Main Menu

Exhaust fumes inside the car

Started by 70rag383, September 09, 2021, 03:10:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70rag383

For as long as I've owned my car for the last 45 years I've always had the problem of the interior having some level of fumes. My car is now restored, has 6,000 miles on the new engine. Doesn't burn oil. Still have the issue after all these years when I get out of the car after driving for 30 minutes my clothes smell like exhaust. It's not at the level that it gives me any headaches or makes me sick but it's a little annoying. 

Is this just something we all live with as owners of vintage muscle cars with no catalytic converters or is there something I can do about this?   My car has a 383. Everything is new, TTI headers and exhaust system right back to the tips. Exhaust system sounds healthy with no leaks.  Wondering what others have done to remedy this situation?

Filthy Filbert

the bodies are full of gaps and holes and misalignments.    Coupled with poor aero, and you get all kinds of turbulance and whatnot pulling fumes back up under the car and around the car.   

If the exhaust has no leaks anywhere, then make sure you have all the trunk gaps, seams, etc sealed up.   

not saying that you can cure the symptom... maybe nothing can be done about it.   My car was the same way when it was on the road.  We'll see what happens once it's rust holes are fixed, seams are sealed, and exhaust is tightened up.

anlauto

You forgot to mention it's a convertible...I don't think there's any remedy .....except maybe a clean burning 392 Hemi  :)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Filthy Filbert

Doh.  Didn't realize it was a vert

Sorry, with the way the wind comes under the car and whips up across the tail panel... I don't know that there anything you can do

Rich G.

The 2 hard tops I've had does that too. Only when the window is open. It's like the fumes wrap around the car and go right in the window. I figured it's E body cologne. No problem with the A/C on.

anlauto

I think it's just a lot more noticeable now that we're older and spoiled with cleaner burning vehicles on the roads....the other day I had the windows open in my truck and when I started following an older classic Mustang, I had to roll the windows up...the smell of unburnt fuel was so bad...back in the day we used to love that smell....can you even imagine what it was like in the 70's when every car was pouring out that stench... :drunk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

I'm just proud you got over 6000 miles on that car already...that's awesome :worship: :clapping: :clapping: :twothumbsup: :drinkingbud:  and that was the plan :stayinlane:

Burdar

Are there any free flowing aftermarket cats that can be added to the exhaust?  Will a cat live behind an engine with a carb?  I realize they were added to carburated engines starting in 75 but those engines were leaned out and weren't built for performance.

Even in a convertable, if the trunk seal isn't sealing like it should, fumes can be drawn into the interior.  Take a look at the seal and make sure it's sealing all the way around.

70rag383

Alan, I get so much enjoyment out of the car whether I'm driving it or tinkering with it, you cannot imagine. Thanks for all your hard work! 

anlauto

Quote from: 70rag383 on September 09, 2021, 05:51:59 PM
Alan, I get so much enjoyment out of the car whether I'm driving it or tinkering with it, you cannot imagine. Thanks for all your hard work!

Thanks imagine, you could have it seven years earlier if you had of met me before hooking up with Shawn...and body shop hell  :o

dodj

EFI  will make a difference.
And keep the top down?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Burdar

I've also thought about that stuff some racers use in their fuel to make it smell good.  Not sure how expensive it is.  You can get it from Summit.

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: Burdar on September 09, 2021, 08:11:19 PM
I've also thought about that stuff some racers use in their fuel to make it smell good.  Not sure how expensive it is.  You can get it from Summit.

I think that only works with race gas.   but race gas exhaust smells so good by itself anyway!

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: anlauto on September 09, 2021, 05:27:10 PM
I think it's just a lot more noticeable now that we're older and spoiled with cleaner burning vehicles on the roads....

and a lot of guys got spoiled by modern EFI that starts right up no matter the time of year.  :))

Guys that forgot about having to pump the pedal to prime the carb before starting it, having to set the choke.   Having to learn what an engine wants, one pump when it's warm outside, 4 or 5 pumps when it's cold outside, etc.

DeathProofCuda

Most of my gasoline cologne issues have been eliminated with some carb tuning, although I still get some smell in the car right after a short full throttle blast.  What kind of carb are you running?