Main Menu

Exhaust header gasket

Started by 7212Mopar, September 17, 2017, 05:32:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

I am ready to install a set of TTI SB step headers to my 416 stroker. The engine has a set of Procomp CNC ported aluminum heads. The TTI headers came with a set of composite gasket but I bought a set of Summit copper header gasket and will used that instead. The TTI header and gasket match fairly well but a little smaller than the cylinder exhaust ports. The copper gasket is off even more.

Now the dumb question, for the guys that have done this, how important it is to port match the exhaust gasket with the cylinder Heads? The gasket can be done easily but the header not. It is also ceramic coated inside. Not sure I want to mess that up. Also the copper gasket has embossed face at the ports. Even I match the ports first, the embossed face will flatten and get into the port openings when the bolts are tighten. Would you spend the time to trim the gasket ports to match the heads?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

GoodysGotaCuda

If this didn't change anything, I wouldn't bother about port matching header gaskets..
http://speedsociety.com/exhaust-header-bash-testing-power-loss-from-dents/
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Chryco Psycho

Absolutly , why spend all the time to port heads & use good headers & have the gasket too small ??

Shane Kelley

I would use the TTI gaskets.  :alan2cents: I have never had one leak or even 1 little issue out of them. I have used the copper ones in the past and I wasn't impressed. After removing the headers I could see little areas where exhaust was leaking. I couldn't hear it ticking but it definitely had leaks. I pulled a motor running TTI headers and exhaust and had absolutely no sign of any leakage. I wouldn't have been afraid to reuse the gaskets even. There is a reason TTI sends them with their headers. 

7212Mopar

I started porting the copper gasket to match the heads. Only got two ports done so far. Lots of, grinding, on and off to test fit. I am cutting into the embossed area of the gasket and thinking to fill the cavity part of the embossed port facing the heads with the copper Permatex sealant and then spray with the copper adhesive before install. Not sure if this will work or not.

I can tell the TTI gasket is not the regular cheap paper type gasket. It is a reinforced composite and certainly easier to trim to match the ports than copper. I was debating for a little but decided to try the copper since I already have them. I am however still debating what to do with the header ports which are slightly smaller than the ports at the heads and slightly different shape. I hate to think about grinding the beautifully made and coated headers. I will post some pictures when the weekend comes. Too much going on at work.

Also, did anyone have problem with the AT cooler lines? One of the tube is hitting it and looks like I need to remove it before I can bolt up the header driver side.

Roadman

Quote from: Shane Kelley on September 21, 2017, 11:37:20 AM
I would use the TTI gaskets.  :alan2cents: I have never had one leak or even 1 little issue out of them. I have used the copper ones in the past and I wasn't impressed. After removing the headers I could see little areas where exhaust was leaking. I couldn't hear it ticking but it definitely had leaks. I pulled a motor running TTI headers and exhaust and had absolutely no sign of any leakage. I wouldn't have been afraid to reuse the gaskets even. There is a reason TTI sends them with their headers.

:iagree:  Never had luck with copper gaskets.  I started using Percys soft aluminum gaskets and never had any leaks with them.   :rebelflag"              http://www.taylorvertex.com/gaskets/seal-4-good/

7212Mopar

Can you port the aluminum gasket? Picture at Summit looks like some kind of sandwiched gasket.

Roadman

Quote from: 7212Mopar on September 21, 2017, 12:48:48 PM
Can you port the aluminum gasket? Picture at Summit looks like some kind of sandwiched gasket.

Never tried. I added the website on my last post, check it out. 

RUNCHARGER

Another vote for the TTI gaskets. I've used them 3 times with great results.
Sheldon

dodj

Don't have experience with TTI gaskets, but I agree with the others that say not to use the copper ones. Could never get them to seal properly.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

7212Mopar

Anyone tried porting the header to match the Heads? My TTI header ports are slightly smaller than the ports at the heads. Thinking of grinding just a small radius around the flange area to transistion into the tube but this might weaken the welded joint cutting into the tubes. Worth the risk? It is such a beautiful piece.

RUNCHARGER

I've had to totally rework junk Hooker header flanges. Not sure I would touch TTI's though.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

OK. Two votes with TTI gasket so I am going with that. I trimmed the gasket to match the exhaust ports 3, 5 and 7. Then I stared at the TTI header for 15 minutes and figured I can at least put a better radius at the header flange. It will be better than having the exhaust gas hitting the flange at 90 degree. I choose the HF Dremel tool with a small bit and work on the flange area with two hands avoiding the header tubes. So far got 3, 5 and 7 done. The tool cut through the steel like butter. It must be really soft steel. It is not pretty but it feels smooth. Here are some pictures. Five more ports to go.