Main Menu

Manifolds vs TTI, TTI Kit vs Custom, What to do!

Started by kawahonda, June 21, 2018, 09:40:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Flatdad on July 10, 2018, 04:47:04 AM
Worth a mention, going from manifolds to TTI's raised my running temperature 10+ degrees (Fahrenheit).

Have you checked the plugs you could be running leaner ?

kawahonda

Well, speak up now or forever hold your peace!  :pokeeye:

Exhaust shop is planned this Friday at 9:00am. Bringing them a 2 1/2" TTI set w/ X-pipe to hook up. Keeping factory manifolds for now for originality.

My asks to them is "up to 15% louder max", no drone, and I don't want to wake up the city by flooring it. My current system is a 2 1/4" system that's "somewhat" stock, missing resonators and mufflers are pretty rusty.

My "leaning" is with Dynomax Super Turbos. I want something that flows good, and sounds good. My fear is that the Super Turbos won't be any louder than what I have now...which is a good thing I guess, but I do wish I could hear/feel my engine a little bit more than currently.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

RUNCHARGER

Don't be a wimp, my son just took this on a 1500 mile trip. I ran the Super Turbos on my green Challenger and it sounded okay, myself I prefer the Ultraflows I had on the orange car but I understand everyone's taste is different.
Sheldon

kawahonda

I wish there were something in between super turbos and ultra flows....

I heard ultra flows were OK...until you punch the throttle...

And I'll be doing that a lot soon. Lots to come soon...

kawahonda

Cool AC. What I'm s he packing under the hood?

RUNCHARGER

MSD injected,350HP crate Windsor. Regarding the mufflers, he wore earplugs. That car kind of beats you up as you could imagine.
Sheldon

Burdar

What muffler "offset" does an E-body use?  I just saw a cutaway picture online of an offset inlet/center outlet Dynomax Super Turbo.   :thumbdown: Talk about a restriction!  The exhaust runs right into the center outlet pipe and has to flow around it.  The inner tubes look like they might kneck down to 2 1/4" also.  Maybe this isn't an issue with a lower hp car but it sure wouldn't be my first choice.   The offset inlet/offset outlet looks like a much better flowing muffler.

Here is the picture.  It was from an old Moparts post.

kawahonda

Does magnaflow sound similar to dynomax? Maybe those are less restrictive...

On that same thread with the cut muffler, someone chimmed in and said he ran 10s (or 11s) with them. IDK, are they really that bad inside?

One thing you can do with the Super Turbo is to upsize the muffler to a 3" inlet/outlet to compensate for the restrictions. I don't know how you are going to compensate for the flow issues for an offset/center configuration...how does Magnaflow do it?

nsmall

Whatever you do, try to do it once.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/gallery/;sa=view;id=466

https://forum.e-bodies.org/gallery/;sa=view;id=464

I liked the sound of Shanes.  I think I bought Flowmaster super 44's.  Its not quiet, but I like the sound.

@Shane Kelley What muffler are you running in the video?

I wish Shane would post more videos as I loved that video of you barking the tires. :bradsthumb:

kawahonda

Sounds good if you like Flowmasters. I enjoyed watching those. Really awesome HD clips. Thanks for posting.

But that chambered Flowmaster sound I do not like. Flowmaster is proven to restrict exhaust at the sacrifice of having unique sound. Just my opinion. :(

At this point, I'll either except an oversized Dynomax Super Turbo (3" ex/in) or a Magnaflow, or another "turbo" series muffler that has proper flow for a center outlet. It appears that Dynomax Super Turbos totally missed the mark when it comes to having a centered outlet.

This "Flo-Pro" image shows my point. This design is very similar to Magnaflow's design as far as I can tell. You can see that even if it had a centered outlet design that the outlet as plenty of directional "intake' for flow. The Super Turbos looks like a really bad design where you are relying completely on the perforations of the internal piping to move air and nothing else, almost as if they flow CFM numbers that Dynomax reports is NOT of this configuration.

None of this is "proven" by anyone on the internet yet. Just findings from a cut up Super Turbo muffler in the Challenger's configuration. It's enough to raise serious concerns.

Shane Kelley

I run the original Flowmaster series 40's.  They are like everything else in life. They are on the loud side so people either love them or hate them. I'm fixing to put a set on my Road Runner. It has Pypes on it now and way to quiet for me. The 69 Formula S has Dynomax Super Turbo's with full TTI 3" exhaust system with X pipe and TTI headers. I will say it sounds pretty good but has some serious drone cruising down the road.

Burdar

I had a Magnaflow muffler on a Stratus I used to own.  I know it's a completely different muffler setup but that muffler was a straight through design.  The walls of the inner pipe were perforated and the muffler body was filled with fiberglass.  No baffles at all.  I would be surprised if Magnaflow didn't offer a straight through design that would fit an E-body.

Shane Kelley

I don't see how a straight through would work because they need the offset inlet to clear the rear floor pan. Here's a E body and a A body. The other issue would be the exhaust systems are bent for offset inlet.

Burdar

This is how Magnaflow makes an offset inlet/center outlet muffler.  This is a "straight through" design.

gzig5

If you have a 2.5" exhaust system on a small block, I don't think any reasonable muffler is going to be a restriction until you are getting up over 400HP.  At that point you may have to pay attention or lose a few Hp. The fact that he is "restricting" himself to stock manifolds tells me that the muffler chosen will not be the limiting factor regarding performance.  Choose the sound you like and carry on.