Main Menu

Manifolds vs TTI, TTI Kit vs Custom, What to do!

Started by kawahonda, June 21, 2018, 09:40:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72hemi

My setup on my 340 Challenger (which I absolutely love) is Doug's headers (got a killer deal on them) with TTI 2.5 inch exhaust and Magnaflow mufflers. The only problem was TTI didn't have a direct bolt on kit to the Doug's headers, so I had to connect to their system. But it sounds incredible!
Life's too short to drive boring cars

Shane Kelley

I'm TTI all the way! Stuff is excellent quality and fits really nice. Yes it's expensive but once you install it you understand why.

There is another big advantage to the their headers with internal thermal coating. They will reduce under hood temps dramatically over manifolds. That means the fire wall isn't hot cooking you in the car. After a long run in my car the header temp is around 260 degrees F. Manifolds can get up into the upper 400's+ and hold the heat longer.

While Flowmaster series 40 isn't for everyone it's still my favorite. Most people ask me what I'm running for mufflers because they like the aggressive sound of my car. I mean come on guys. We are building muscle cars not limousines. It's not like your driving the car on vacation.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Shane Kelley on June 22, 2018, 06:25:19 AM
I mean come on guys. We are building muscle cars not limousines. It's not like your driving the car on vacation.

:notsure: :looney: :crazytalk: :drunk: :stop: :brainiac:

1 Wild R/T

I mean come on guys. We are building muscle cars not limousines. It's not like your driving the car on vacation.

Well speak for yourself... I'm considering a 2500 mile drive in my car... & I take 300-1000 mile drives every year...  Yes I like cars with a little rumble but I don't want drown out everything else....

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
A lot of us have put serious miles on these cars beyond driving to 7 11 around the corner

Shane Kelley

It was a joke guys!  Like I said. I like the series 40's but they are not for everyone.

If it's to loud your to old!  :pokeeye:

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 22, 2018, 08:44:32 AM

Well speak for yourself... I'm considering a 2500 mile drive in my car... & I take 300-1000 mile drives every year...  Yes I like cars with a little rumble but I don't want drown out everything else....

Well I put about 2500 miles on my old cars every year. But I have no intention of driving it on a 1000 mile trip. EVER! After 100 miles in the heat I'm ready to get the hell out the car.  :yes:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Shane Kelley on June 22, 2018, 02:46:01 PM

Well I put about 2500 miles on my old cars every year. But I have no intention of driving it on a 1000 mile trip. EVER! After 100 miles in the heat I'm ready to get the hell out the car.  :yes:

Oh, I get it, I've had cars I didn't want to be in for long, this one the A/C works, the cruise control works it's geared for putting on the miles & still runs ok.... Not fast but fast enough....  I'd like better seats but the look has to be "right"   

jordan

I have a TTi system in my big block.  Long tube headers in black to a 3" X-pipe out to 18" Dynomax mufflers back to 3" dia. out the tips. It has plenty of rumble at idle to sound like its mean, and light throttle is reasonably quiet but present with no drone, and full throttle is loud, but not so much you sound like a NASCAR.  I hate getting the policeman's attention when I have my foot in it.  Stealth is better for real driving.    Everyone has their own sound they want and like.  I think street cars should sound like street cars and not race cars.  Race cars should sound like race cars!!  I am happy with my Dynomax mufflers for all around driving.  Loud muscle sounding, but not too loud with no drone.
"Don't brake until you see God!"

kawahonda

Thanks guys.

Near term v1.0: Get 2.5 TTI Pipes from Manifolds to exits w/out mufflers. Still confused as to what mufflers I want. I guess I need to listen to some. I like the factory sound w/out resonators and factory mufflers. It just could be 20% louder without drone. That's all I'm after. That low rumble Dodge bark. Not the chambered Flowmaster sound (makes all engines sound the same).

Really distant Future v2.0: Get step-tube TTI headers and call the exhaust "done for good".

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

kawahonda

Quote from: 303 Mopar on June 21, 2018, 11:51:08 AM
The good thing about manifolds is being able to work around them and easy to remove if needed. Headers are a PITA and make everything tighter clearance. Yes headers will give you more HP, but I'm not so sure you will feel it on a stock 340 but maybe a little.

If you go with headers I would go TTI as they are the best, and I would recommend buying the whole kit from them as it fits well, works together and is one stop shop.  The ceramic coated are worth it.  Even their tips are good quality, but pricey. I would recommend an H-pipe over X because IMO the H has a deeper tone.

Here is a TTI set up on my Challenger with a 408 stroker (sorry for the blurry video), and on my Charger with a 505 stroker.

This has the epitome of DODGE sound. This is exactly it. What mufflers are you using? The included Dynomax mufflers, right?

If so, where are there people not liking the Super Turbo mufflers? I just find that THAT sound that you have good sir is exactly what a Mopar sounds like. The stock "tone" comes through it seems.

303 Mopar

Quote from: kawahonda on July 09, 2018, 09:04:02 PM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on June 21, 2018, 11:51:08 AM
The good thing about manifolds is being able to work around them and easy to remove if needed. Headers are a PITA and make everything tighter clearance. Yes headers will give you more HP, but I'm not so sure you will feel it on a stock 340 but maybe a little.

If you go with headers I would go TTI as they are the best, and I would recommend buying the whole kit from them as it fits well, works together and is one stop shop.  The ceramic coated are worth it.  Even their tips are good quality, but pricey. I would recommend an H-pipe over X because IMO the H has a deeper tone.

Here is a TTI set up on my Challenger with a 408 stroker (sorry for the blurry video), and on my Charger with a 505 stroker.

This has the epitome of DODGE sound. This is exactly it. What mufflers are you using? The included Dynomax mufflers, right?

If so, where are there people not liking the Super Turbo mufflers? I just find that THAT sound that you have good sir is exactly what a Mopar sounds like. The stock "tone" comes through it seems.

Yes. super turbos.

Flatdad

Worth a mention, going from manifolds to TTI's raised my running temperature 10+ degrees (Fahrenheit).

tx9cuda

If you are happy with a stock type appearance and the manifolds, I would consider an Accurate system with their magnum series mufflers. Perfect fit and good sound, I ran this system on my 340 Cuda. I also ran a complete TTI header and exhaust system on the same car before I converted back to a stock look. Both are great systems. You need to decide if you want to go with a stock appearing system or if you want to go the performance route using headers.
BS23H1B

kawahonda

Thanks all. I think I know what I want. The TTI 2.5 system using my stock manifolds. If I want to fuss with headers in the distant future, I can still do that.

I'd love to her more Super Turbo muffler sounds.

Seems like a TTi 2.5 setup with Super Turbos will have a nice throaty sound, no drone, and will still retain the stock tone.