Main Menu

X or H pipe

Started by 303 Mopar, March 13, 2017, 12:07:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shane Kelley

I run 2 1/2 inch TTI system with 340 4 speed. No linkage issues at all. X pipe makes it a little bit of a bitch to get tranny out but can be done. Has Flowmaster series 40 mufflers and a real choppy cam. Sounds plain nasty still with x pipe. No pics of that. But I do have pics of a 70 Chally I built with a 426 Hemi and a Tremec 5 speed. Full TTI 3" system with x pipe. No issues. Fits perfect and sounds great. I love the TTI stuff. From their headers all the way to their tips. Quality stuff.

RUNCHARGER

I find the X involves a bit more fiddling to remove on Greg's Cuda, I installed an H on my green Challenger and preferred it. I also like the sound of the H better but that's all personal taste.
Sheldon

70/6chall

Regarding X or H pipe, as I read all your virtues of both type dual pipe crossovers. I thought to myself they are all referencing v-8 engines. Remember guys I have the e-body with a 6-cylinder engine. My exhaust system originally was a single pipe set-up, 1 7/8" at that. It was the best the factory could do for me. So......after deciding to go Hooker headers 3 into 1, off of each collector was built a real dual 2 1/4" aluminized exhaust system. The pipes run down the drivers side of the car underneath, w/ an H pipe crossover placed strategically not far down from the collectors to benefit best location. Before the gas tank 2 glasspacks mufflers,drivers side pipe goes straight on back after muffler to a chrome tip. Passenger side pipe angles over after muffler to go around the passenger side of gas tank to chrome tip. For a six I like the H pipe, it does increase torque values and believe it or not creates a nice throaty little rumble. Quite surprising to some. I like it.        Thanks, Al

cudaragtop

I imagine the short distance to the side exhaust reduces back pressure over full over the axle tailpipes.
Can't say I've ever heard an AAR style exhaust with or without H or X pipe.
That said I would think that a 392 through 2.5" with either X or H and side exit would flow plenty...
3" will have even less restriction and be very free flowing and likely a deeper note.
So many variables... I would struggle with the choices. Would love to hear it with out H, X and with.
With headers and either H/X I imagine there would be a more even sounding less separated sound.
If you want a more balanced, even sound go X and if you like a more distinct left to right sound go H.
Without H or X you may be able to hear each cylinder firing and I would possibly go that route first to see if I liked it.
Doubt anyone could detect a difference in power only sound. my 2¢ fwiw...

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

cudaragtop

Running full TTI 2.5" with H pipe on my 418 SB
Used their H pipe for Gearvendor OD, it sits a little further back. No GV yet but a guy can dream can't he?  :ohyeah:
Dynomax Ultra Flo welded muffs. TTI tailpipes with their welded 'Cuda tips.
Running factory 340 exhaust manifolds too. I love the sound from this combination and no clearance issues.
If I wanted a couple more ponies at the top I would have run a single plane intake and headers...
Goal was low-mid-range torque not making power past 6000 RPM. More suited to how I drive it.
480 HP @ 5700 and 511 ft. lbs Torque @ 4300. No need to take it to 6000 RPM but built to handle it.
It will be an interesting comparison to the Pace Performance built and Dyno-tuned G3 Eagle Hemi 5.7 that will be going in our 69 Barracuda project.

http://paceperformance.com/i-23836443-dcc-68259164-fx-pace-performance-5-7l-hemi-460hp-crate-engine-with-controller.html

Power: 460 HP @ 6300 RPM, 448 ft. lbs. of torque @ 5100 RPM

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

the_cuda_guy

Quote from: 303 Mopar on March 13, 2017, 12:07:42 PM
I'm upgrading my exhaust to 3" and am curious as to who is running an H or X pipe and why?  I have a 392 Hemi, 400 tq - 365 hp at the wheels.

I've heard arguments on both sides mostly around a higher pitch with an X pipe however your get more torque since you are forcing the flow through vs the torque gain is negligible so just focus on sound and fitment. Open to your opinions, experience, facts, etc.

I have a 3" exhaust and x pipe I bought off of summit.  It is dumped at the rear wheels through dynomax race bullets (it is very loud).

Back when I started converting my cuda to a big block car I wanted to squeeze ever single horse power out of it I could and make it hook.

Three or four years ago when I did all my reading and research on x pipes said there was a 10-15% improvement over an H pipe difference.  Now I didn't just read this on some random website, it was on websties like fastmopar, moparts race section and yellowbullet etc.  the majority of the of the racers said the x pipe was a better choice for more HP, some of them cited et differences and other tests conducted to compare.  Could it all be BS maybe, but I went with the majority in regard to an HP increase, thought it was safe.  That is why I chose the x pipe.

I added an H pipe with my 2" exhaust with my 318 and didn't notice any difference.

Hope this helps.

Don
Member Since 29 January 2017

Shane Kelley

Here's a 2 1/2' TTI system with X pipe and Flowmaster series 40 mufflers.

303 Mopar

I found this Engine Masters in which they did a performance test on a dyno of an 5.3L LS motor for straight pipe exhaust, h-pipe and x-pipe set up with the same mufflers on a 2 1/2" pipe.  They did an average of 3 pulls for each.

Their net findings were:
- Straight - 362.3 hp, 366 tq
- H-pipe - 360.8 hp, 370.1 tq
- X-pipe - 362.1 hp, 369.9 tq

The H-pipe was +4.1 tq and -1.5 hp over straight pipe mostly below 4800 rpm.  The X-pipe was -0.2 tq and +1.3 hp over H-pipe mostly above 4800 rpm. 

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Shane Kelley on May 15, 2017, 08:53:34 AM

Did you have any fitment problems using the Flowmasters? 'Cuda exhaust or Challenger?

I have the Dynomax mufflers from TTI but loved the Flowmaster Super 40s I had on the 318.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

RUNCHARGER

Thanks for posting that comparison.
Sheldon

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 29, 2017, 04:10:14 PM
I found this Engine Masters in which they did a performance test on a dyno of an 5.3L LS motor for straight pipe exhaust, h-pipe and x-pipe set up with the same mufflers on a 2 1/2" pipe.  They did an average of 3 pulls for each.

Their net findings were:

The H-pipe was +4.1 tq and -1.5 hp over straight pipe mostly below 4800 rpm.  The X-pipe was -0.2 tq and +1.3 hp over H-pipe mostly above 4800 rpm. 

Interesting results. I went with the H because I feel it gives it more of a classic/muscle sound. X-pipes at higher rpm tend to give off a sightly higher frequency/exotic-like sound, which i am not the biggest fan of. But the muffler can vary that quite a bit.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Shane Kelley

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on November 29, 2017, 06:31:17 PM
Quote from: Shane Kelley on May 15, 2017, 08:53:34 AM

Did you have any fitment problems using the Flowmasters? 'Cuda exhaust or Challenger?

I have the Dynomax mufflers from TTI but loved the Flowmaster Super 40s I had on the 318.

Sorry I missed this question when you posted it.  No fitment issues at all.

303 Mopar

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on November 29, 2017, 06:44:07 PM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 29, 2017, 04:10:14 PM

Their net findings were:

Interesting results. I went with the H because I feel it gives it more of a classic/muscle sound. X-pipes at higher rpm tend to give off a sightly higher frequency/exotic-like sound, which i am not the biggest fan of. But the muffler can vary that quite a bit.

:iagree:  I had a x-pipe switch to an h-pipe and noticed the tone of the exhaust changed a lot.  I love the h-pipe!   :stayinlane:

soundcontrol

Quote from: ToxicWolf on March 14, 2017, 11:39:49 AM
I went with the H-Pipe because I like the sound better.  If you are looking for power, go with the X-Pipe.  :thinking:

From a soundengineers point of view, no connection between the pipes at all must create the very best sound, no evening out the pulses at all.
Picture of my -71 before I sold it, recording the sound.

Shane Kelley

There is no doubt a bumpy cam will sound the nastiest through true duel exhaust.