Main Menu

Long term ownership of your E-body ?

Started by bentpshrods, October 17, 2020, 05:07:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

Mom and Dad bought in 72'.

My grad present in 78'

floorit426

I bought my 'cuda, Oct., 1975. I bought it off a consignment lot, in San Jose, Ca. As a publicity stunt, they had a guy flagpole sitting, and going for the Guiness record. I remember he had been up there, for quite a while and getting near the record. A week, or so, later, the lot went out of business, moved all of the cars out, leaving an empty lot and that poor fool, up on the pole. He was so close to the record, he didn't want to come down. I don't know if he ever got the record. If he did, nobody was there, to witness it.

Poolshark314

I have only owned mine for a few months but it has been a dream of mine since I was 12 to own an E-body (I am 35 now), and I can tell you I plan on owning this for the rest of my life
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

70/6chall

Slant6Chall here, Mr. Lee why did I retire the Dodge in 2005. After driving it as a daily driver as long as I did. A new car in the form of a Jeep Grand Cherokee helped me to make the decision to remove it from the rigors of daily thrashing and the Jeep took over. I figured after 562K miles on the old Dodge it was time to take care of some cosmetics and a lot of mechanical changes, basically things just wear out no matter how well it is taken care of. So off the road she went to be a part time driver. Let's see new paint in the late 90's, with a cut and buffing out, all the SE trim was removed and professionally messaged and polished or replaced with NOS. The 3rd and last engine replacement 1977 purchased through Moss Motors Dodge, trans rebuilt with a B&M shift improver kit. A rear end change to an 8 3/4 w/ 3.23 gear set in Suregrip 742 case with 11" brakes. Reupholstered interior all original OE plastic interior panels including dash pad. All the work was accomplished before and after her retirement date.   
Since then she has been relinquished to a cruise and a show here and there. And in Covid nothing.
Well,Mr. Lee I guess I just felt sorry for the old girl and gave her a much needed rest.   Al

340Rallye

my dad bought my 73 in fall of 72. it was promised to me since I was little. thought he would turn over the keys when I turned 16. Haha a kid can dream, right? besides that and insurance rates being sky high. im thankful he didn't. I would have wrecked it.

it's been a great car for as long as I can remember. no major problems.  a few random gremlins. I just replaced the original starter and ballast resistor. kinda crazy they lasted so long. then again it's hardly driven. I think when I joined here the odometer read 64,203 and now it's 64,332. keep in mind there were a lot of years my dad would average 3-5 miles.

Shoooter

I got my cuda 2 weeks after my first son was born almost eight years ago, had to wait till he was born before I could take off and pick it up. I do still have a 1972 gmc short box stepside 4x4 pick up truck that was the first vehicle I ever bought at the age of 17 though

mccannix

I bought and still have this 340 4 spd from the original owner in upstate NY with 19,000 miles in the summer of 1976.
I added a factory shaker hood set-up and an original louver, simply because I had them and liked the look.
It was an original white billboard car, but when I easily stripped to the metal and had the car repainted, a white billboard strip was no longer available from Chrysler, only black, so I went with that.
No reproduction back then.

R/T's 4 R/P

Bought my 6-Pack Challenger in 1980. Actually picked it up on the Friday after Thanksgiving. So, 40 years.
Interestingly, I just recently noticed that I have put 25,000 miles on it since then.  I guess if you want to put a lot of miles on a Challenger the trick is to buy a slant 6! 😀

My convertible I've had since 2001.

It's great to see so many who have held on to their cars for most of their lives.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Huskidrive

I bought mine in 1974

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!

chargerdon

I bought a brand new 1970 Challenger slant six, three on the floor back in December of 1969.   Kept it for 2 1/2 years then traded it on a new 72 Charger SE 318 auto.    Missed it a lot !!

Now i bought my 74 Challenger in 2015.  It needed restoration and  the deal with my wife was i could buy it to restore, IF AN ONLY IF, i promised to have it painted Plum Crazy...   Easy promise with it having a reupholstered white interior. 
I spent a year restoring it...all the work myself i did the stripping to bare metal and priming with epoxy and 2k, then took it to a professional for the final FC7.   

Its a 360 with stroker kit to 408, and i put into it an A518 overdrive, and a 3.23 Sure Grip, and Vintage Air.   I'll keep this one till i pass away, and my Grandson (8) has dibbs on it !!

1ownr

Charlie & I ordered our Cuda 3/71, 6 mos. before we got married. We managed to keep it all these years. We took it off the road in the 90's and it sat patiently waiting for it's turn of extra $$ to restore. Even though the restoration plans have changed, it is now in the process of getting restored. It most likely won't be done for Anniversary year at Carlisle, but least I will be able to drive it again.
Specs:  383 3 sp convertible.

Judy

RUNCHARGER

Great stories. I only had my FM3 R/T for 18 years. Other hobby cars usually around 5 until I get antsy to replace them.
Sheldon

E74cuda

I've had this one since 1992. Bought from the original owner.

E74cuda

And this one since 1997. The first picture is how it looked when I got it and the second is how it looks now.

anlauto

Wow..those are two very beautiful 71's you have there :drooling:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration