Main Menu

Best place to sell a Mopar ???

Started by 76orangewagon, May 31, 2017, 05:16:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

76orangewagon

Ok It's time to officially try to sell my Duster so I can help finance my 'Cuda restoration, I've used eBay in the past but that was 12 years ago and I'm sure there are better ways of selling so I'm looking for your recommendations (Forums, craigslist, ect...) . This is a high end build and I would like to not waste my time with low end offers or tire kickers.

Cuda Cody

You have a very special car.  Not many cars build to that level and it's not something many people can even afford.  With that said, it's hard to beat the amount of views and eyeballs you get from eBay, but that comes with a lot of tire kickers.  There's the high end sites that sell cars like Dupont Registry that might get you some deeper pocket looks.  Sometimes with cars that have an in person "wow" factor it can be best to sell them at one of the big auctions.  Mecum is nice because they let you set a reserve.  Barrett Jackson will not let you set a reserve unless you have a car in the 1/2 mil to 1 mil and over price range.

Do you mind me asking what price range you are looking to get?  Just curious what it takes to own a nice car like that. 

anlauto

I've had good luck with "Cars-on-line" , but I agree...one of the big auctions would be the way to go.....Pro touring cars are hot right now. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Moparman82

I would pay more for that duster than I ever thought I would be willing to pay for a duster.  How much are you looking to get?
Looking for the right 70 Cuda project!

RUNCHARGER

I've had so so luck with Cars On Line. I have to find a place to sell my Stealth before it grows moss on it.
Sheldon

76orangewagon

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 31, 2017, 05:42:17 PM

Do you mind me asking what price range you are looking to get?  Just curious what it takes to own a nice car like that.

I have told people I would sell it for $50K, and there response has been "that's all I would thought you wanted more than that".
There are so many tricks and modifications to the car that go unnoticed not to mention all the custom one off billet aluminum parts that I haven't put a price on but I think my price is a realistic value.
   I have been to Mecum several times but by the time I get the car there on Tuesday and get a hotel room for 5 nights @ $180.00 a night, pay the $1500.00 fee for a Friday spot with a reserve and pay for food & entertainment I figure I've spent about $3000.00. If it doesn't meet reserve and I drag it home I now $3K out and still have the car. If the car does meet reserve at $50K I still pay sellers fees and have the added costs so there is another big chunk of money so my $50K is more like $45K or less after it's all done.
   Here is a link to a nice online story on the car in case anyone is interested in reading about it:

http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/mr-sinister-ross-gordons-custom-1973-plymouth-duster/ 

anlauto

I would try EBay....I know it's full of flakes and BS......but it's the cheapest fastest WORLD advertising to let everybody know the car is available. Don't expect to sell it on EBay, but at least get the word out....

At $50K I would think some dealers would get involved thinking they could flip it for double  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ec_co

I would also think a big auction like Mecum/BJ would be the right place to get the most potential in real bidders. Mecum has a July auction in Denver, but I'm pretty sure there are some others that have more Mopars and those would be the ones to hit.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Shane Kelley

I think your right on with the price. I agree with Alan. Use Ebay and get the word out. You may or may not sell it there but people on other forums will share it and it will spread everywhere. Awesome build! Good luck.

76orangewagon

Thanks I have a facts sheet I made up for the magazine so I think I will doctor it up so it reads like a sale ad and give eBay a try.

RUNCHARGER

I think you are right on with your expectations. I've seen lesser cars go for more but it can be a fickle market. Ebay will get the word out for sure.
Sheldon

MoparJunkie

I'd say try to sell it to me, that but would involve me having 50k!  :takemymoney:

That is one of the best dusters I have ever seen. Gorgeous, and looks like a blast to drive! Good luck selling it, hope you get what you want out of it!

Cudajason

Quote from: MoparJunkie on June 01, 2017, 01:35:22 PM
I'd say try to sell it to me, that but would involve me having 50k!  :takemymoney:

That is one of the best dusters I have ever seen. Gorgeous, and looks like a blast to drive! Good luck selling it, hope you get what you want out of it!

:iagree:

I have not even read the article yet...but if I had the cash I would be all :takemymoney: and that beauty would be sold!!!

That is one good looking car!!!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

76orangewagon

FYI...I decided to list it on eBay It cost $30.00 so far.... lots of watchers so far after 1 day and a few bids !!!! Thanks for the guidance and suggestions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Plymouth-Duster-/222534011924?hash=item33d00f8c14:g:H2YAAOSw-K9ZMgP0&vxp=mtr

Cuda Cody

Good luck buddy.  Hope you get top dollar.