Main Menu

Bought another Mopar

Started by GoMangoBoys, April 02, 2021, 09:35:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

As many already know, we are new to Mopars here.  We bought a 70 Challenger about a year and a half ago for me to restore with my then 18-year-old son.  I also have a son that is a few years older.  I had been feeling bad that I had not done a similar project with him.  He will be graduating from The Ohio State University in December and will be going into the Army as a 2nd Lieutenant.  He is on a full scholarship from the Army.  He is doing very well, straight A's and is one of the top cadets in the Buckeye Battalion.  I decided that my opportunity to do a similar project was gone and I did not want him to be short-changed compared to the awesome car that I was building with his brother.  I remembered that he had a very good friend in high school whose father was a real car guy.  The man had many nice cars and a couple of drag cars. Though I never met the man, I heard about how cool he was and how cool his cars were.  When a boy is 17, everyone else's dad is cooler than their own right?  The man died during my son's senior year of HS in 2016.  Last November, I contacted the man's widow to ask if his Charger was still for sale.  It was one of 2 cars left.  The car was a 7-year restoration project and was very special to the man and she had not rushed to sell it.  When I told her that I wanted to buy it for my boy, she was thrilled.  Apparently, they liked my son.  So, I bought the car.  When we signed the title, she thanked me and told me how much she appreciated the fact that I was buying it for my boy.  Last night we presented it to my son when he came home for Easter.  Since his next 10 years will be with the Army, I may possess the car for a good deal of the time.  I am OK with that. :)  So far, I have run nearly a tank of gas thru it.  He is pretty jazzed up to say the least.  He drove it today and really loves it.  The car is a 72 Charger Rallye.  340 4bbl, 4 speed manual.

cudamadd

Congratulations on your charger  :australia:

Chryco Psycho

Congrats , that is an awesome find , Nice car!!

anlauto

Looks like a really nice car and a lucky son there.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

captcolour

Awesome car and awesome dad!

chris NOS

well done ! tha't s cool to share a hobby like this with your kids ! :clapping:

71383bee

Awesome story and very cool and rare car!  They made less rallye than the previous r/t and super bee and it being a 340 4 speed is even more so.

That's an awesome thing to do for your son and it's great to see a young guy getting into the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Dakota

This is a great story all around.  Nicely done!   :ohyeah:

JS29

:bravo: And he has two connections to this particular car.  :cheers:

RUNCHARGER

Awesome story and great car.
Sheldon

Matt M

Thats great
Cool that you are your son have that car as a bond now.
I wish him well in the Army
I was an ROTC guy too. As a Rifle Platoon Leader it was the most fun/challenge I had in the Army

Smallblock340

Great story and a very cool Charger! Congratulations!  :twothumbsup:
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

70 Top Banana

Awesome story, great car, enjoy it with your son!

Shoooter

I bet your boys think they have the coolest dad now! Nice looking charger

dodj

You're a very cool 'old man'.
Well done!  :bigthumb:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill