Main Menu

Closed tomorrow?

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, January 29, 2019, 06:06:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jimynick

Quote from: MEK-Dangerous on January 30, 2019, 01:02:26 PM
The postal service was canceled in 10 States today.

What happened to that mantra they used to say?

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

Have we gotten soft?
YES! Closing schools? What, did the furnace go out? No glass in the windows? Kids don't own a winter coat or mittens/hats? Some reason they couldn't just stay inside for the school day? We're breeding generations of wusses who's mommy tells them they're all winners in all things and boy, are they in for a rude awakening!! Sad and pathetic.  :looney:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

MEK-Dangerous

Quote from: jimynick on January 30, 2019, 01:15:15 PM

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

Have we gotten soft?
YES! Closing schools? What, did the furnace go out? No glass in the windows? Kids don't own a winter coat or mittens/hats? Some reason they couldn't just stay inside for the school day? We're breeding generations of wusses who's mommy tells them they're all winners in all things and boy, are they in for a rude awakening!! Sad and pathetic.  :looney:

Oh man, I'll pile on here!

I remember going to grade school twice when the heat was out. We all had class in the cafeteria because that was the warmest place because they were cooking lunch. Ahh, I miss those days.   :D

JS29

Just had to go to the small city of Rome NY. about 10 miles from my place. 3 degrees above zero at 4 PM. high winds making snow drifts.

Brads70

Quote from: MEK-Dangerous on January 30, 2019, 01:26:15 PM

Have we gotten soft?

I remember going to grade school twice when the heat was out. We all had class in the cafeteria because that was the warmest place because they were cooking lunch. Ahh, I miss those days.   :D

I can remember in  1978 blizzard 4 feet of snow thinking yahoo finally a snow day! Nope got driven to school  ( that was still open) via snowmobile!  ::)  I can't remember the schools even being closed and getting a snow day. Kids that got bused in did but not those of us who lived close enough to walk.

Racer57

I ain't going no where !!

GoodysGotaCuda

I'll go out and drive my Cuda for you guys tomorrow. [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

jimynick

Quote from: Racer57 on January 30, 2019, 07:30:45 PM
I ain't going no where !!
LOL! I remember one day up in Bruce County when I was going out to high school and it was 27 below zero F! If you spat on the ground, it went "snap" and my old 58 Dodge just went "row row row". "Too bad bucky, said the old man; schools on, best get walking the 1.5 miles to it!" And I did. I'm no hero, but what we're seeing these days is ridiculous. Say, where's AL Gore these days, eh?  ;)
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

JS29

It hit -4 here, They closed the school!  ::) the nanny state going strong in New York state. I remember going to school when it was -20f.   

Jay Bee

Waiting for Chris to open.

RUNCHARGER

I can't ever remember the schools closing, snow, -40 or not. They bused us if it was 3 miles or further to school. You guessed it I lived 2.75 miles from school. When it was colder than -20 my mother would give me bus fare to take the city bus, other than that you toughed it out. That's why our generation built shit and got stuff done after we graduated. Didn't have a phone to call mommy if you had a tummy ache either.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Same for me just inside the bus range so I had to walk , no bus fare or rides from my parents ever , delivered papers in it too .
Had enough & moved south , paid my dues !
When should I call you Sheldon ?

BIGSHCLUNK

I remember as a kid (loooong ago) schools NEVER closed around here. I trudged thru snow up to my waist (and I was a tall kid).

I took a ride to the shop yesterday afternoon just to check on things. It was -12 but factoring wind it was -gazillion. I was happy tho.... burned was running, no frozen pipes. Maybe 35 in the shop tho. About 60 at the sales counter.

This morning -23 without the wind factor. Currently -13 and windy. Winds are supposed to die about noon. So were open at 1PM today.

I tried to figure out a way to make up for some lost revenue. Any of you in sales or your own shop can relate I'm sure. So here's what I did.... I got the shop's name on 3 of the 4 local TV stations. Some of which also own local radio stations. I could not afford to buy this kind of advertising. We've been on the crawlers at least once an hour! And over the airwaves on at least 6 radio stations..... BIGS you dog...  :burnout:

dodj

Quote from: Brads70 on January 30, 2019, 02:22:32 PM
Quote from: MEK-Dangerous on January 30, 2019, 01:26:15 PM

Have we gotten soft?

I can remember in  1978 blizzard 4 feet of snow thinking yahoo finally a snow day! Nope got driven to school  ( that was still open) via snowmobile!  ::)  I can't remember the schools even being closed and getting a snow day. Kids that got bused in did but not those of us who lived close enough to walk.
Ya, I'm with Brad. I walked to school (uphill both ways...). I don't remember ever getting a snow day or a too cold day. Rural schools sometimes closed because it is entirely a bussed in population and the roads aren't plowed yet. However, this is the first year I ever heard of closing schools because of temperature. Twice they closed because of colder than -30*. Today was -34* at breakfast time and the schools are open.  :thinking:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

YellowThumper

Agree as well growing up in Wisconsin. Dressed like the    "Michelin Man" walking there.
The times being noted were also when vehicles were not electronic and less reliabl than now.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Dakota

I have to give a shout out to Duluth Trading Company for making be not care too much about the outside temperature or the wind.  I was out snowblowing and shoveling a good bit of the afternoon.   Their lined pants and storm jacket or whatever the heck they call it kept me toasty.  I definitely wasn't that well-equipped as a kid, except I do kinda miss those clips on elastic in my coat sleeves to keep me from losing my gloves.