Main Menu

Dodge - Electric car ?

Started by anlauto, July 08, 2021, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

I sure hope it looks good/cool! So far all the electric vehicles look like they should come with Birkenstocks and tube socks!  :barf:

Bullitt-

... Now we gotta name it ...   

Re-Charger for the full size

Hellzap for the sport model    :woohoo:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

SpeedD408

Why is Dodge doing this?  Because they have to.  California via executive order has mandated that all new cars and passenger trucks be zero emissions by 2035.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/california-mandates-electric-cars-for-2035.html

Therefore if Dodge wants to sell cars in CA they have to start the process.
1971 Cuda - 383, Rallye Red, Rallye Cluster, Disc Brakes, Rear Defogger, A/C, Road Lamps, AM/FM Radio
Tag #1- N1B FE5 H6XW V1W A01 A62 B51 C16 C55 G11 G36 H31 H51 J25 J45 J54 L25 L31 L34 M21 M25 M31 M88 N41
Tag #2- N42 N85 R35 26

dodj

Ultimately,  if it performs,  people will like it. And at the moment,  nothing out torques an electric motor.
In a few years when people hear "vroom, vroom", they will think you have one of those old slow cars.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

chargerdon

Problem will be the price.   Bet it will start at $45 or so. 

Look the 2021 Challenger starts at just $30,000 with destination charges, and FCA is always giving at least $1,500 off.   Right now an SXT with 305 hp v6 is selling for $28,000.   In todays dollars that's a bargain, and in another 2 months when the 2022 models are coming in, leftover 2021's will be down to $25,000.   

Makes me wonder when the last of the 1971 styled Challenger RT with a hemi will roll out the door.   I for one will applaud the new E muscle car, but simultaneously will Lament the passing of the Hemi in todays Challenger.

I will probably keep my 74 Challenger with its gas guzzling 360/408 until i die !!   With its Flowmaster 40's and Plum Crazy color i get stares and thumbs up everytime i drive it...and LOVE LOVE LOVE its sound !!   

anlauto

I just like Dodge's take on the whole thing....We know this is something being forced on all car makers by the Government...and most car makers have taken the "we're helping to save the planet", tree hugging  approach in their advertising :crazytalk:  ...

.while Dodge says....HELL YA...lets make it go fast and look good and we can burn the heck out of some rubber tires while we're at it... :burnout:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Purepony

It's gonna be the same thing.
A concept car abd then when the actual car comes out it's missing a lot of things from the concept that looked cool

Sometimes I forget that they also have to cater to people who don't see a car as anything more than something to get them from home to work etc

I'm really not too excited I think the passion and the excitement are gone and have been gone. If it wasn't for everything that did 50 years ago who knows what they'd be selling

70vert

I agree Alan, it is refreshing to see Dodge take a different position towards EV in this video (not saving the world). We'll see how it continues. I am not a huge fan of EV but do think they have a place, kinda how I feel about a 4-cylinder car LOL. If they could evolve naturally I think everyone could be happy but it doesn't look that will happen.

There are a lot of hurdles left to get over, one being cost (mentioned already). It's just fine to have $50k plus car but there is a huge market for the average joe that needs a $30k or less vehicle and EV is not even close to that. Same story for used car market, from what I've read the batteries will need replaced roughly 4-6 years which will make them cost more (sometimes engines too but they can easily last 15+ years). For Dodge I wonder about weight, they already build the heaviest performance cars and I understand the EV batteries are 2 or 3 times as heavy as an engine! Everyone knows the mileage/distance issue, which is really more about recharge time. There's plenty more.

I have not read anything about how the gov't will be replacing all the taxes that come from gasoline, that is a huge pitfall coming for roads, etc. And there is the issue of electricity draw on a system that is already stressed. I'm sure they are thinking of solutions but many years off!

7212Mopar

Video suggested a AWD electric four tires burning muscle car. Don't recall ever seeing a Tesla burn rubber before. Can't wait till 2024.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

soundcontrol

Quote from: 70vert on July 09, 2021, 10:56:38 AM
I have not read anything about how the gov't will be replacing all the taxes that come from gasoline, that is a huge pitfall coming for roads, etc. And there is the issue of electricity draw on a system that is already stressed. I'm sure they are thinking of solutions but many years off!

There was somewhere (in Australia I think), where they added a mile tax on EV's, and here in Sweden they are already staring to suggest that. Right now it is super cheap to drive an EV here, and you get a bonus if you buy one, but once the gas car are a minority, I'm sure EV's will be taxed somehow.