Main Menu

Gas Prices - climbing to Record Highs

Started by Jay Bee, October 07, 2021, 06:15:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

dodj

Quote from: HITTER23 on October 09, 2021, 12:00:44 PM
We went from being energy independent and EXPORTING to now at the mercy of OPEC and now asking them to please up your production.
You are still exporting, and OPEC was asked to increase production, because as a group, they can affect oil prices significantly, and the US pres would like it lower. The US, by itself has very little effect on prices. Unless you count US influence asking Saudi et al to up the oil production.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Racer57

Quote from: dodj on October 09, 2021, 05:41:03 PM
We went from being energy independent and EXPORTING to now at the mercy of OPEC and now asking them to please up your production.
You are still exporting,
You take out the 440 and replace it with a 318. You are still moving.

HP2

A president CAN effect prices when, like already stated enacts his agenda . Closing pipelines and banning new drilling had a direct result on the price. We went from being energy independent and EXPORTING to now at the mercy of OPEC and now asking them to please up your production. Recently, Saki even said that basically climate change had a bigger importance than energy prices.

I disagree and others have pointed out other flaws in your statement, but lets explore your logic a bit using the chart posted earlier by Goody. 

By your definition, GW Bush's administration made gas prices rise from a low of $1.48 to a high of $4.09 via their policies and the global war on terror. A global recession in 2008, uninitiated by the president, drove it down to $1.71.  By the end of is term, overall prices were up 15% over 8 years with a 176% range in the same time.

BH Obama's administration took over at $1.71, and saw a peak price at $4.12 due to the recovery from the recession. By the end of this administration, it was down to $1.87. Overall a 9% increase over his 8 years and a 140% range over the same time.

DJ trump took over at $1.87 and saw prices slowly increase to $3.05. During a global pandemic, which the president did not initiate,  prices dropped to $1.91. When he left office it was at $2.49, for a net change of 33% increase over his 4 years with a 63% range in prices.

JR Biden took  over at $2.49. Average today is around $3.26. At 30% increase over the last 9 months. Jury is still out on where it will end and how widely it will fluctuate.

So it appears to me that regardless of who is president and regardless of their party affiliation and the efforts made by any administration, prices continue to rise and any significant change in pricing tends to be the result of larger forces that impact a wider population than simply the US or even North America.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on October 10, 2021, 09:41:46 AM
............and logic wins again :brainiac: :veryexcited:
I dunno. Logic rarely changes the minds of the poorly informed.... :dunno:

Who is poorly informed? Well, that's up to the individual. lol

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

tparker

Many things lead to rises in price as many people said. California has lots of refineries. Our gas is taxed to hell, so our prices are already high. But then we get issues such as refineries going down. Some times they do this at regular intervals, but often the same time this is happening another refinery goes down for some reason and this causes a shortage and raises prices. This usually happens late summer when gas prices are already high. Hurricanes also cause gulf prices to climb up, not to mention the whole hack thing not long ago. It's a messy sector and then you throw in government idiots local all the way to the President that make bad decisions that lead to hight prices.

jbaha

Smallblock340

Quote from: jbaha on October 11, 2021, 02:25:11 AM
Here it's 7$ ... for 1 gallon  :crazytalk:

Lucky you!  ;)
Today in Netherlands the fuel prices hit an all-time high... € 2,05 / liter  :crazytalk:
That's about USD 9 for 1 gallon... :looney:

That includes 21% VAT and 45% excise duty...  :steamingmad:
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

chaps70rt

Thanks Jbaha and Smallblock340 for chiming in and providing a global perspective.   Europe has always paid more for gas.

We in Canada have historically paid more for gas than the US.  Our taxes are higher to help pay for various government debts.   Classic cars
are now a luxury hobby; if you can afford it.  If you have to ask what it's going to cost to go for a cruise, then the end may be near.

I guess the next question is who is going to be the first to convert their e-body to electric?   Lets not go there .....
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

tparker

I was in Germany in early to mid1990's and gas was't bad at all. It was about a nickle more expensive. That was until I realized that was a liter, not a gallon :o

jbaha

chargerdon

By the time inflation as a result of covid and bad weather stops/slows...expensive gas might be relatively cheap !!   Damn and i thought that with a modest 401k and full Social Security i was set for life...   

HP2

Quote from: dodj on October 10, 2021, 01:06:13 PM

Thus our current  economic and social quandary, which reminds me of the age old philosophical debate of the allegory of the cave.

dodj

Quote from: HP2 on October 12, 2021, 06:07:36 AM
Quote from: dodj on October 10, 2021, 01:06:13 PM

Thus our current  economic and social quandary, which reminds me of the age old philosophical debate of the allegory of the cave.
Hee hee. Never thought a Mopar site would reference Plato...LOL
But....relevant.