Main Menu

Got my lift!

Started by fuscobros, December 21, 2022, 12:51:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

Quote from: Mr Cuda on December 21, 2022, 08:11:39 PM
I've  been meaning to buy a 4 post.
Could you  give me a quick update on the difference between the backyard  buddy and the  advantage?

Following along too

fuscobros

Quote from: Ricomondo on December 21, 2022, 04:16:20 PM
Quote from: fuscobros on December 21, 2022, 03:47:57 PM
Quote from: GoMangoBoys on December 21, 2022, 02:05:29 PM
1.  I have the Backyard buddy.  That Advantage lift is made by the same company.   Their guy was telling me last summer at Carlisle that they were starting to make some of the Advantage lifts in Ohio where they make the Backyard Buddy.  I hope that is true.  It is a good lift.
2.  You have come to the right place for help on E body Mopars.  These folks on this forum are AWESOME.

I looked at the Backyard Buddy and decided for the small difference in price the Advantage was worth it.  It is made in Ohio also and the quality is excellent!  ....and yes, this forum is fantastic!!

@fuscobros - Congratulations as you start your journey!

I'd like to ask did you have to have the articulation of the garage overhead door changed via the track? Thanks!

Yes.  Even though when I built my garage 15 years ago I made sure I had enough ceiling height for a lift at some point in the future, I didn't factor in the garage door tracks and motor. Last year I had to have the tracks and springs replaced and install a new motor against the wall.  Because the entire weight of the door is now being lifted before it starts to follow the arc of the tracks changing from vertical to horizontal, the springs need to be much stronger and tracks are heavy duty.  Essentially the only thing I reused was the existing door. 

fuscobros

Quote from: Mr Cuda on December 21, 2022, 08:11:39 PM
I've  been meaning to buy a 4 post.
Could you  give me a quick update on the difference between the backyard  buddy and the  advantage?

The Backyard Buddy and The Advantage lifts are essentially the same design and quality however the Advantage is slightly larger and more robust.  5" columns vs. 4", a bit more lifting height and 9,000lb capacity vs. 7,000lb.
The Advantage comes with 4 drip trays, 2 wheel chocks, casters and a rolling jack tray. 
The Backyard Buddy comes with 4 drip trays and casters but the rolling jack tray is an additional cost.

BackYard Buddy price on line = $4,848.10 + rolling jack tray @ $429.35 = $5,277.45
Advantage DX-9000-HD on line = $5,364.40
Kind of a "no brainer" for the $86.95 difference.
I also bought an extra rolling jack tray so I can lift the front and rear of the car off the lift at once.  The rolling jack tray for the Advantage is only $211.96.  If I bought two rolling jack trays for the BackYard Buddy the cost would have been more than the Advantage.
I also called Advantage directly and was able to get their "show pricing" discount which save me about $200.
Below are the specs on each lift.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Advantage DX-9000-HD

Overall Dimensions
7' 9" (T) x 9' (W) x 15' 6" (L)
Capacity
9,000 lbs.
Shipping Weight
2,275 lbs.
Runway Dimensions
4.5" (T) x 1' 6.75" (W) x 14' 6" (L)
6' 3.5"
Max Clearance Under Runway
5' 10"
Space Between Runways
3' 1.5"
Column Height
7' 9"
Column/Base Size
5" x 5" | 12" x 12"
-------------------------------------------------------------

Backyard Buddy 4-post Lifts
Classic Lift
Overall Dimensions
6' 10.25" (T) x 9' 0.625" (W) x 14' 0.125" (L)
Capacity
7,000 lbs.
Shipping Weight
Runway Dimensions
4.1875" (T) x 1' 7.25" (W) x 12' 11.5" (L)
Max Height to Top of Runway
5' 7.1875"
Max Clearance Under Runway
5' 3"
Space Between Runways
3' 3.5"
Column Height
6' 10.25"
Column/Base Size
4" x 4" | 11.5" x 11.5"

Rich G.

I added another lift on the house and had the new door and tracks made to hug the ceiling. Got the Advantage Lift also and wifey drives under her Cuda every day.

fuscobros

Nice!  My wife is still a little apprehensive about driving under neath everyday ....My friends all keep asking me if I "upped the life insurance policy" and "will they be seeing me on an episode of Dateline in the near future"... :haha:

chargerdon

Anyone have any experience with the Triumph brand 4 post lift ?   https://allautomotiveequipmentsupply.com/collections/four-post-parking-lift     TRIUMPH NSS-8 8,000 LB. 4 POST CAR LIFT
SKU/Product #:
NSS-8
|   FREE SHIPPING
$ 3,595.00

GoMangoBoys

So your Advantage Lift was made in Ohio?  That is GREAT.  I REALLY focus on buying American and being from Ohio, that is even better.  When I bought my first Backyard Buddy, Advantage Lifts was not a part of their company.  When I bought the second one, the Advantage lift was less $ as it was imported from China.  I really gave the guy crap about selling a Chinese product last summer and he told me that they were shifting production to Ohio.  It was also nice that I had to drive 1 hour with a trailer to pick up my lift.

Mr Cuda

Thanks for  the rundown.
I too was considering the Triumph,  or othe off label lifts because price, and only using it to store a car.
I liked the backyard buddy design with the slider surrounding the post.
The advantage has extras.
I signed up for email alerts,  now to check on shipping.
And need to check for that car show discount!!

Racer57

I'm lucky. Height of ceiling isn't an issue.  :D

dodj

Quote from: Racer57 on December 21, 2022, 07:48:58 PM
6. You spent far less than a Chiropractor is going to cost.   :D   
:iagree:
When I first got my Challenger I spent any extra money I would have on car parts. I SHOULD have saved and bought a lift first..like fuscobros did. I have a two post and really like it. It makes so many things easier.   Needing to do something on the underside of the car for example...instead of rolling under it with a creeper, I raise it up 3 or 4 feet and sit in a reclining office chair to do the work.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

captcolour

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on December 22, 2022, 03:12:34 PM
So your Advantage Lift was made in Ohio?  That is GREAT.  I REALLY focus on buying American and being from Ohio, that is even better.  When I bought my first Backyard Buddy, Advantage Lifts was not a part of their company.  When I bought the second one, the Advantage lift was less $ as it was imported from China.  I really gave the guy crap about selling a Chinese product last summer and he told me that they were shifting production to Ohio.  It was also nice that I had to drive 1 hour with a trailer to pick up my lift.

I've had my Advantage lift for probably 6 years now.  Yes built in China but designed in the US with quality control in the US.  Thought their design and quality were way better than others built in China.  Looked at Backyard Buddy at the time and they were almost double the price!  Found my spreadsheet from back in 2016:

Advantage Lifts                            Qty    Unit Price    Total
Model:   SS-9000HD-XLT - 83"   1    $3,600.00     $3,600.00
Options:   Rolling Air Jack                   2       $750.00     $1,500.00
           Aluminum Deck Inserts   1       $199.00        $199.00
           Estimated shipping           1       $800.00        $800.00
                                                          Total     $6,099.00 (list price from website)

Backyard Buddy            
Model:   9000 Overheight - 84"   1    $6,895.00     $6,895.00
Options:   Hydraulic Jack platforms   2    $1,995.00     $3,990.00
           Drip Pans (4)                   1       $195.00        $195.00
           Estimated shipping           1       $650.00        $650.00
                                                          Total        $11,730.00

At the time, Direct Lift came in at $5,565 (no air jacks; hand jacks) and BendPak came in at $5,215 (no shipping as I could potentially pick it up).

I ended up all in at $4,950 for the Advantage option shown above with the Mecum Indy show special.  Quite pleased!

dodj

Hmmm...
My Direct Lift 9000# cost $2950cdn plus $500cdn shipping. Appears like they are cheaper in Canada. #'s are about 5 years old.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

captcolour

Quote from: dodj on December 23, 2022, 09:22:34 AM
Hmmm...
My Direct Lift 9000# cost $2950cdn plus $500cdn shipping. Appears like they are cheaper in Canada. #'s are about 5 years old.

Base price on the Direct Lift was $2,895.  The $5,500 included 2 bridge jacks ($1,590) and Pro-floor ($680) plus shipping.

Mr Cuda

Since I'm in the market for a 4 post ,lift, and Fusco was saying he was happy,  I signed up for emails about  Advantage products and maybe special pricing.
  Since the day before Christmas eve, and I don't think the were working for me to call, I have gotten 17 emails.
Maybe today I will call for a price and find out how much shipping is to the west coast.
That and tax might drive me to a "cheap " lift.

Mr Cuda

Thanks Fusco. I ordered my hoist. Been wanting to for a while,  and your post was the motivation to get on it.
Plus,  the price is going up after the first.
Soon I can free up a bay to actually work on a car , instead of pushing one outside.