Main Menu

What Car Lift to Buy

Started by 303 Mopar, March 01, 2017, 08:27:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Would you prefer a 2 or 4 post lift for your garage?

2 post
4 post

303 Mopar

Curious as to what brand of car lift you are using, 2 or 4 post, where did you buy it, and would you do anything different if you could?   :wrenching:

Cuda Cody

A vast majority of the professional shop are using a brand called "Rotary Lift".  They are high quality and over engineered, but they are also very expensive.  Then there is BendPak.  Great quality and a little better on the value in terms of price.  The only drawback I saw to them was you have to have compressed air hooked to it in order to release the safety catch.  So either hard line compressor air to it or always have a hose laying on the ground near it.  Both of those companies sell lifts that are ANSI certified.  Most over China made lifts are not ANSI certified.  That is key and a big difference on the thickness of the metal.

The 3rd option is what I went with.  The high end Rotary Lift company decided to take their engineered design and have it made over seas.  It's one of the few over seas lifts that carry the ANSI certificate for the load rating.  And the price for it is really affordable.  I think it was like $2,200 for a 4 posts 8,000 certified lift.  So take a look at their lifts if you're buying new.  Or look for a used Rotary or BendPak lift. 

Both the Rotary Lift and Direct Lift websites are down, but here are the links to all 3.

http://www.rotarylift.com

http://www.directlift.com

http://www.bendpak.com

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

A.Gramz

The one at work and home are both two post
Home - wheeltronics (snap on owns them now I think)
Work - forward lift ( Madison, IN) but says made in chn on it. I assume that is China.   :dunno:  but it is ansi certified

71GranCoupe

I have a four post and would not change a thing, unless I were to buy two, LOL. You have to think about what you will be doing more with the different post lifts. 2 posts are (IMO) are better slated for doing work and installation work. While the 4 posts are a better avenue for storing a vehicle. The 4 post has a large sliding frame that moves down the center and allows lifting of the vehicle for access to work on the cars. But again, more for storage. 2 post lifts have to have proper installation or they DO fall over, and once installed are not readily moved, while the 4 poster comes with a dolly kit that makes moving them a one person operation. I have moved mine to just about every spot in the shop. You can't move them with a vehicle on the lift.  :bricks:

Every Time this question comes up this image comes to mind. I have seen where an install was done with only drilling into the slab. They really need to have a separate footing designed to carry the weight or the thing WILL fail. As said, what will be the majority of use be. Storage, go with the 4 post, gonna do a bunch of resto's or work for a living, 2 post, as the vehicle is on on the lift when working on it. I am sure some use the two post for storage, but I sure wouldn't do it. Ground shaking earthquakes come to mind as well on the 2 post for long time storage. Hope this helps.  :cheers:

Missed the last part of your question. About ten guys around here went in and bought a truckload and they provided shipping and a slight reduction on the lot.  :unitedstates: :canada:

Brads70

I've been looking too as I'm hoping to build a shop this summer. I'm really sold on the open end design. I know it's more money but I should only have to buy it once in my lifetime. I've narrowed it down to these..... I have a local buddy that sells hoists and other equipment and very often gets used ones from shops going out of business etc..... Time is on my side as I'm in no real rush.
http://www.rotarylift.com/LIFTS/SMO14/

http://www.rotarylift.com/Lifts/SMO14SW/

For some reason as Cody says the site is down?
Edit: link works now!

303 Mopar

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on March 01, 2017, 12:03:03 PM
I have a four post and would not change a thing, unless I were to buy two, LOL.

What brand of lift do you have?

71GranCoupe

Quote from: 303 Mopar on March 01, 2017, 01:25:45 PM
Quote from: 71GranCoupe on March 01, 2017, 12:03:03 PM
I have a four post and would not change a thing, unless I were to buy two, LOL.

What brand of lift do you have?

I bought it more than 10 years ago and it was sold under the label of Direct Lift. Not sure they are even around any more. I am sure ones today have improved from this early one. I have not had any problems at all with it. Not sure what I paid for it. something like $1650. I would really like to get another, as it is a great way to store 4 cars and only using 2 parking spots.  :cheers:

screamindriver

We've got two Mohawk two post lifts in the shop...As stated you need to know ahead of time what you're doing when using a 2 post lift for the footers under the slab...One lift has a gauge to weigh the vehicle...http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/

Bills Auto Works

I am very happy with my Bend-Pak 10,000lb 2 post symetric lift (see pics) I have had it for 5 years or so with no issues & I use it a lot for servicing my trucks.

Cody, mine does not need compressed air to release the locks. It has a lever to release them.

I will say however that when it comes to putting the '02 Chevy 3500 4 door dually on it, the arms are a little shorter than I would prefer.

Bill
YOUR QUALITY MOPAR TRANSPORTER SINCE 1983!

Cuda Cody

When I was looking i was all set to buy all BendPak lifts.  They are hard to beat for the quality and value, but they went away from the manual release and went to air at some point.  If they still had the releases like you have I would own 4 of them right now.  I even tried to find used ones with the non air release.  If you ever sell yours, just know a lot of people want those BendPaks with the normal release.   :alan2cents:

Quote from: Bills Auto Works on March 01, 2017, 08:07:34 PM
I am very happy with my Bend-Pak 10,000lb 2 post symetric lift (see pics) I have had it for 5 years or so with no issues & I use it a lot for servicing my trucks.

Cody, mine does not need compressed air to release the locks. It has a lever to release them.

I will say however that when it comes to putting the '02 Chevy 3500 4 door dually on it, the arms are a little shorter than I would prefer.

Bill

303 Mopar

I ordered a Direct Lift Pro Park 8.  Should have it installed in the next couple weeks.   :banana:

http://www.directlift.com/Four-Post-Lift-Pro-Park-8S-Standard-P44C9.aspx

71GranCoupe

That is good news and I see they are still around. Scott Smith installed the same one in his new shop. You will like it. I see they now have 4 drip pans. Mine came with three. I may have to consider a second one. Did you get a good price on it?  :cheers:

303 Mopar

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on March 03, 2017, 11:27:34 AM
That is good news and I see they are still around. Scott Smith installed the same one in his new shop. You will like it. I see they now have 4 drip pans. Mine came with three. I may have to consider a second one. Did you get a good price on it?  :cheers:

$2195 from a local distributor.  I'm adding the 90 degree bracket to have the motor on the front of the post instead of the side based on my garage configuration. 

HP_Cuda

Once it's installed let me know how you like it.

My next place will be setup to the 9s.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200