Main Menu

Holley Sniper

Started by BillR1212, July 18, 2018, 01:53:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BillR1212

Hi Team,

My carb fell pretty far out of tune and I'm sick of messing with it every season change. Ordered the sniper EFI that is capable of adding boost down the road (just incase, I've been eying a torque storm charger after Hot Rod Power Tour). Plan on making the change this weekend and looking forward to getting it up and running. I have a 160GPH pump. Anyone have pictures of where they mounted it? Seems pretty tight on the frame rails as I tried to mount a Holley red pump for my fuel cell and ended up putting it near the tank in the trunk. (73 Cuda btw)

Also anyone running a separate cell for race gas? how are you switching between them? I have Holley ball valves to swap between stock tank and fuel cell under the hood where the two lines come together. I ran a larger line from the cell as my car was running out of fuel on the drag strip. Now I think I'll tap that larger line to the stock tank and merge the fuel cell and stock tank with shut offs before the pump in the rear of the car. just wanted to get other thoughts. Sorry if thats confusing.

303 Mopar

I installed the Sniper on the 505ci in my Charger about 6 weeks ago, but used an in-tank pump.  Too many stories about the external pump quickly burning up and so many advantages of the in-tank pump. 

https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/holley-sniper-efi/7196/msg99953#msg99953

Chryco Psycho

My thought would be to use an in tank pump system also  :alan2cents:

ZEN357

Holley makes custom stainless steel tanks for your model with the fuel pump and sending units for the Sniper EFI units.

303 Mopar

Quote from: ZEN357 on July 19, 2018, 06:29:00 AM
Holley makes custom stainless steel tanks for your model with the fuel pump and sending units for the Sniper EFI units.

That is what I installed. The tank also has baffles which helps keep fuel constant at the pump. Good quality part.

BillR1212

Thanks guys - I think that is a great option and I have plans to install a new tank with built in pump as mine has a clogged sock filter and restricts flow. Once the engine comes out this winter for lower compression pistons I will swap the tank out per your suggestion and get one with a pump.

For now I've already ordered the external pump. And will eventually need it for my fuel cell which I mentioned I'm running and need to switch over to when at the track. I like the benefits of extra octane when I'm beating on it.

In the meantime They say as long as the pump is below the tank it should be fine. Maybe I'll order a smaller back up pump to keep in the glove box for an emergency. all good points.

BillR1212

Going to order the tank tomorrow. Did anybody run the filter with the built in regulator? From what I can see the return line can be a lot shorter this way instead of running the return from the engine bay? Any feedback there?

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: BillR1212 on July 21, 2018, 02:36:25 PM
Going to order the tank tomorrow. Did anybody run the filter with the built in regulator? From what I can see the return line can be a lot shorter this way instead of running the return from the engine bay? Any feedback there?

Yes, it works but the fuel pressure is very inconsistent. My ECU takes fuel pressure into account and adjusts the injector pw.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

303 Mopar

I found out that despite some baffles in the Holley tank, if you have an engine with a lot of TQ you need to keep the fuel level above 1/4 tank when going WOT off the line or it will suck in air and your AFR readings will go crazy.  The 505 stroker in the Charger is 540 TQ at the wheels, and I punched it off a light and the engine cut out with the AFR readings flashing yellow and red.  I talked to Holley and they said this is a known issue with higher torque engines.  They said either keep it around 1/2+ or install a hydra-mat.

BillR1212

Interesting note about the gas tank. I'll call and ask. Mine is also leaking out of the filler neck. Did yours come with a gasket? Mine did not and I had to use my old gasket from my tank I took out. Still does not seem to help. My car makes 639 tq to the wheel so I'd imagine I'll need to keep it pretty full. Kind of frustrating if thats the case as my plan was to run it low and fill it up with 112 race gas at the track. was hoping to just pump 5 gallons or so to make a few runs.

On a separate note I need to call Holley today. The sniper unit left me stranded on the highway with the all the sensors flashing and reading no data. I checked all the connections and was reading 12 volts to the main wire harness. The relay to the fuel pump would just click, and it was reading error 21 which Holley support said they didn't know. I was asked to send it back to them for inspection. Sort of frustrating as I had to install my carb back on before a road trip and didn't have time to get it dialed in with my new intake.

Yes my power and ground go straight to the battery. it was running really well for about 20 miles when it just died. Prior to the test run it was idling for 35 minutes in the driveway. So I'm pretty confident everything was wired in right or it likely would have had problems before that.

We will see what they say. 

gzig5

The FITech surge tank may be a viable fix for the fuel pickup issue or someone going from a carb to EFI.  It acts like a mini fuel tank in the engine bay and allows the car to ride through blips in fuel delivery from the tank.  It can also be used with a standard tank and mechanical fuel pump to feed from the car's fuel tank to the surge tank.  I'm considering it for when I get to the EFI swap.  I just put a new fuel tank in and hate throwing away good parts.  The surge tank kills two birds by giving you the ride through capacity and acting as the electric fuel pump the EFI requires.  Cost would be similar or less than a new EFI compatible tank system. Comes with an internal regulator option too.

https://fitechefi.com/product-category/fuel-systems/surge-tanks/

303 Mopar

Quote from: BillR1212 on August 07, 2018, 06:30:29 AM
Interesting note about the gas tank. I'll call and ask. Mine is also leaking out of the filler neck. Did yours come with a gasket? Mine did not and I had to use my old gasket from my tank I took out. Still does not seem to help. My car makes 639 tq to the wheel so I'd imagine I'll need to keep it pretty full. Kind of frustrating if thats the case as my plan was to run it low and fill it up with 112 race gas at the track. was hoping to just pump 5 gallons or so to make a few runs.

With that much tq are you using a Super Sniper?  I know I'm on the edge of the regular Sniper as it is, and I'm -100 ft lbs tq from you.

BillR1212

Yes - I have the 8 injector 1200hp unit. Which is maybe why I'm having issues as its a newer less tested model. My end goal is to try the torque storm supercharger to aid in air flow instead of going big cam. Figure 6 PSI of boost should help feed the 505. Would be nice to have a few more ponies for the top end. Runs like a diesel now. 480HP and 639tq. Thinking with boost I can get more air in for the upper RPM range. Also have a gear vendors going in next week. That should help drop in back into the power band too. Currently tops out at 121MPH which isn't ideal for the 1/4 mile.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: gzig5 on August 07, 2018, 06:49:04 AM
The FITech surge tank may be a viable fix for the fuel pickup issue or someone going from a carb to EFI.  It acts like a mini fuel tank in the engine bay and allows the car to ride through blips in fuel delivery from the tank.  It can also be used with a standard tank and mechanical fuel pump to feed from the car's fuel tank to the surge tank.  I'm considering it for when I get to the EFI swap.  I just put a new fuel tank in and hate throwing away good parts.  The surge tank kills two birds by giving you the ride through capacity and acting as the electric fuel pump the EFI requires.  Cost would be similar or less than a new EFI compatible tank system. Comes with an internal regulator option too.

https://fitechefi.com/product-category/fuel-systems/surge-tanks/

The FiTech surge tank has caused more problems then it has solved......  Lots of guys have modified it to bandaids the problem but personally I'd avoid it....