Main Menu

Quarantine or not?

Started by torredcuda, March 20, 2020, 09:51:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Quote from: torredcuda on March 24, 2020, 08:03:49 AM
Not practical or even possible to keep distance in some businesses.
Of course. But instead of closing long term, plan a way to space people out. Rotate shifts, less people per room, stagger breaks etc. Keep people safe. Safe distances. Over the years offices have been about fitting a lot of people in a given space. We now need to learn to space individuals out.
It's not like this will over in a few weeks.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

torredcuda

Quote from: dodj on March 24, 2020, 08:15:24 AM
Quote from: torredcuda on March 24, 2020, 08:03:49 AM
Not practical or even possible to keep distance in some businesses.
Of course. But instead of closing long term, plan a way to space people out. Rotate shifts, less people per room, stagger breaks etc. Keep people safe. Safe distances. Over the years offices have been about fitting a lot of people in a given space. We now need to learn to space individuals out.
It's not like this will over in a few weeks.

You should see our shop during the day, overcrowded pretty bad, can barely walk down the aisles, OSHA would love it.  :-[ Luckily I work nights and theres only 7-8 of us.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on March 24, 2020, 07:45:39 AM
Just my opinion....
The state of emergency declarations are not required to 'flatten the curve'. Closing businesses is ineffectual. As long as you keep safe distances from others and practice enhanced personal hygiene you will be good.
Eliminating gatherings and events and things where you cannot reasonably keep space between people is a good thing...ie planes busses, subways, team sports...

:iagree:
I'm seeing people pretty much panicking and thinking the solution to this all is to stay at home for 2-3 weeks and this will all magically disappear?  I don't see much evidence of a long term plan especially from the Canadian government as thats what I see the most. Pretty short sighted is what I'm sensing and much too slow to react.  I'm hearing/reading reports of a second wave in China and yet again China lying ( wow shocker !) about the death rate or new cases slowing down in Wuhan being a lie ? Also reports of it mutating into a second/different strain? Also I have no idea but is this like most other viruses in that once you have had it you can't get it again? No one seems to know for sure. If not then staying in our homes is futile.  https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/20/819038431/do-you-get-immunity-after-recovering-from-a-case-of-coronavirus 

My thoughts are your better off having the mindset that you ARE going to contract this virus and to plan ahead for it. Have 2-3 weeks of food /supplies /medical supplies too, on hand at all times to be ready to self isolate when symptoms appear. 2-3 months income saved up would be a great propriety as well Of course there are some that this is difficult if not impossible. But if it was a "priority" most could. Needs vs wants. If your mortgaged to the eyeballs in your 5000 sq foot house with a new BMW in the driveway that your making payments on trying to keep up with "the Jones's" well ...... no one can fix stupid!
   I understand the wisdom on everyone staying home in an effort to not overwhelm the medical system. Meaning strategically planing on not everyone getting sick at the same time. You can't stop this virus without a real medical  cure, as of this point we don't have one....yet? Might happen? Might never happen, then what?
But we can't stay home  for months/years etc... at some point we all must accept this is a "war" and as in all wars people die both good and bad people. Maybe even me?  Like what's the plan stay at home for months while food supplies, and all the other deemed necessities dry up when people get sick? Might work ok for a time for the elites but even they at some point will run out. It's really irrelevant what the mortality rate is as we can't all stay home indefinitely. Our elderly and very young yep sure be smart about it. But the rest of us..... no one can change the fact " you don't work, you don't eat" at some point life must go on.     

dodj

I guess what I am saying is we have to adapt. Just shutting down and hiding in your house is not sustainable.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

oldmoparbuff

Number of cases will jump in short time due to more tests available.

Remember good things are happening; potential drugs for easing reaction to virus, more testing and early intervention.
Respiratory care continues to progress and improve.

People will adapt, we always do.
I worry the prevention will be worse than getting the virus.

Oregon and Washington State issued stay at home orders yesterday.

Company I work for is exempt as we manufacture essential equipment.

Normal day at work for me, purchasing is challenged as our suppliers are starting to have issues.
People are stressed and feelings are on the surface.

Wife is at home, as all dental professionals are, shutdown to conserve PPE. (not paid)
Daughter is also home and getting paid, work for school district. 
She is not complaining as this frees her to work more hours for Fire Dept.

Everybody stay safe, keep things in perspective, and please don't over react by watching the news.

YellowThumper

To me the overall solutions are seem fairly simple to drastically reduce the infectious opportunities. Most "bottom dollar" incremental changes should be ended.
First off is the nanny state of Ca. Must rescind the plastic  straw and bag ban.
All restaurants that have public fill stations for drinks, condiments,  salsa, etc... all must return to providing them to us.
Self serve stations at alls stores to be eliminated.
Total capacity to be reduced at restaurants. Immediately they should only fill every other seat and also remove the packed in (infill) small tables.

All these small and easy things will reduce potential contacts exponentially.

My2c
Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

soundcontrol

Quote from: YellowThumper on March 24, 2020, 02:38:33 PM
To me the overall solutions are seem fairly simple to drastically reduce the infectious opportunities. Most "bottom dollar" incremental changes should be ended.
First off is the nanny state of Ca. Must rescind the plastic  straw and bag ban.
All restaurants that have public fill stations for drinks, condiments,  salsa, etc... all must return to providing them to us.
Self serve stations at alls stores to be eliminated.
Total capacity to be reduced at restaurants. Immediately they should only fill every other seat and also remove the packed in (infill) small tables.

All these small and easy things will reduce potential contacts exponentially.

My2c
Mike.

This is exactly what they enforced here in Sweden just a few hrs ago. Almost to the point. Kept the restaurants open, but just table service, (and home delivery) and spaced the tables out, limiting the guest numbers. No hanging in bars, drinking beer is fine, just at a table.

benlavigne

Quote from: Cudajason on March 24, 2020, 06:29:31 AM
Quote from: soundcontrol on March 24, 2020, 04:50:42 AM
Sweden is taking it easy on the regulations, almost everything is open, restaurants, bars, there is a ban of events more than 500 people, but most smaller events gets cancelled anyways. Schools for kids 6-15 Y are still open, the higher ages schools have live internet classes, my daughter is on a class in her bedroom right now.
But people are for the most part staying at home anyways. I shopped yesterday, no shortage of TP :)

But the virus is here in our small village though, yesterday 2 people in the old folks retirement home died from it.

My work will suffer, all our movies (I'm doing film sound) are cancelled or postponed now. Still have a TV serie that I started before the virus.
I will surely have no work during the summer.
Not a problem since I still get 92% of my salary for the rest of the year if necessary, the government helps out with that.

Might be a good time to do lots of work on my cars since its my job that usually takes all my time.

That scares me.  as Alan mentioned, things can ramp up quickly.

It may feel like we are over reacting,  but if we do and nothing happens, that is the point.

Even given all our measures, Quebec (the province next to ours) reported 400 new cases overnight...jumping form 221 to over 600.  That is scary!

Jason

Jason,
The reported cases went up quickly, only because they have set up many new testing sites, some being drive-thrus, no need to get out of the car! They've setup a clinic right downtown Montreal, capable of handling 2000 tests per day. Death toll has been steady at 4 for a few days, all from the same retirement home. But now other residents, as well as paramedics and personel who took care of them, have been tested positive... This sh*t is very easy to spread around if people are not prudent.

Ben

worthywads

I work at Avery Brewing Co, a medium sized craft brewery.  We chose to close the restaurant/bar before the state demanded we do.  Fortunately though the brewery side is considered "essential" so we can continue manufacturing.  We need to have "papers" when we travel to/from work showing that we are exempt.

We have a majority of management/office staff working from home and distancing practices within the workplace for those that need to come in for the production and packaging.

I head the maintenance department and can work for awhile from home but at some point I'll have exhausted productive work.  At least once a week I'll be in and of course I'm on call for the inevitable issues with machinery or software.

Times have been rough over the last few years for a lot of craft breweries, it would be pretty devastating if we had to simple shut the doors.

I doubt it's over by Easter......

Topcat

Quote from: worthywads on March 24, 2020, 05:42:09 PM

I doubt it's over by Easter......

The homeless and young generation is the factor how long this could last.

GoodysGotaCuda

We're officially under a "stay at home" order and I do support it. Our medical system will simply not support the masses getting sick at the same time, the stay at home precautions are intended to try to actually prolong the inevitable in an attempt to mitigate overloading the healthcare system [Italy].

I sure wish our medical/health system wasn't all private and for profit, it's a huge hurdle to overcome during times like this. There's no "team" in the medical world outside of each individual hospital. Some hospitals here are trying to avoid public awareness of their facility having COVID patients in an attempt to protect their image as much as possible... :notsure: :pokeeye:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dodj

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on March 24, 2020, 06:47:32 PM
There's no "team" in the medical world outside of each individual hospital. Some hospitals here are trying to avoid public awareness of their facility having COVID patients in an attempt to protect their image as much as possible...
I hope it is the exception rather than the rule....

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: dodj on March 24, 2020, 07:07:05 PM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on March 24, 2020, 06:47:32 PM
There's no "team" in the medical world outside of each individual hospital. Some hospitals here are trying to avoid public awareness of their facility having COVID patients in an attempt to protect their image as much as possible...
I hope it is the exception rather than the rule....

Governor wouldn't have to get involved if this wasn't widespread.

Private hospitals are withholding information from the public, because they don't have to disclose it. The Executive order backs the comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dodj

What's Vince Vaughn doing on the right..lol

I'm guessing the sign language guy, but it looks like Vince doing some driving comedy bit.

dodj