Main Menu

Question regarding warranty on 2017 Challenger

Started by Plumcrazzy, February 28, 2018, 05:53:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Plumcrazzy

Late last Fall I sold my '70 Challenger and bought a 2017 Challenger R/T Shaker Scatpack. I have received several mailings and a couple of phone calls regarding an extended warranty on my 2017. The warranty is offered by FCA (Fiat Chrysler America) and it is basically a full coverage warranty that goes out ten years (I think) past the 3 year/mileage warranty that is Dodge standard. Cost is around $2,300/$2,400 with a $100.00 deductible. Warranty covers EVERYTHING except wearable items: tires, belts, brake pads, etc. If the warranty is never used (no claims) all your money will be returned, if requested, less taxes on the initial fee. You can apply for a refund at any time during the warranty period and if there is a problem with the car and you wish to pay out of pocket it does not effect the refund.
I could work on my '70 but the electronics on this 2017 scares the crap out of me !!
Anybody have any experiences with this program?
Any opinions?
Any heads up?

blown motor

No experience with program but buying it would depend on how much you drive the car. If it's a daily driver it might be worth the money but if it's an occasional driver, not winter driven, etc then I don't think I'd bother. It sounds like a good program though.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

71gogreen

Hi, I have a 2017 T/A Challenger ,and I also bought an extended warranty of 5 years past the 3. The Electricals also scares me! The computer had to be replaced inside the car and they put the wrong headlight on the passenger side. It had no ballast on side of headlight casing for the halogen light!  The front clip has to be removed to change it out!  :pullinghair:

Speedemon75

I have the coverage on my 2016 Ram Rebel, as mentioned it is a 5 year warranty. Have not had to use it yet thankfully but when I originally bought the truck they offered it to me for only an extra $13 no-weekly  (I believe if my memory is correct, either way it wasn't much) so I figured I may as well. I can second some of these electricians/mechanics not being of the greatest quality at the dealerships though.

Less than $5 a week and if from the factory offering it and covers everything sounds like a good deal.

I get phone calls once in awhile if I would like to sign up for an extended warranty , they hang up when I tell them the mileage is almost 390,000 miles.

Plumcrazzy

I guess my bottom line is I don't think I can go wrong with this extended warranty because if I have a very expensive issue (computer, etc.) then it would be covered (with the $100.00 deductible). If I never use it then premium is refundable whenever I trade, sell or otherwise separate from the car even if the extended warranty is only a couple of months from expiring (as I understand the warranty).

anlauto

I would guess that any refund would be pro-rated....They're not going to charge you $2400 for three years, have you keep it for 35 months...then you cancel and get your $2400 back....that doesn't sound right...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GrandpaKevin

Did you guys buy the Chrysler extended warranty the same time you bought the vehicle or did you buy them at another Chrysler dealership?

The reason I ask is we bought the wifegod a new 2018 Subaru Outback a couple months ago.
It is the top of the line Touring model with every possible option and lots of high tech electronics so I wanted a good extended factory warranty.
I learned on a Subaru forum that many new Subaru buyers were buying factory Subaru extended warranties from a few certain Subaru dealerships saving big $$$$.
I bought Subaru's best Gold series bumper to bumper warranty good for 7 years or 70k miles with $100 deductible for $820 from a Subaru dealership in Kentucky and paid no sales tax on the warranty.

Anyone know of any Chrysler dealerships selling factory extended warranties cheap?

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on March 02, 2018, 07:15:24 PM
I would guess that any refund would be pro-rated....They're not going to charge you $2400 for three years, have you keep it for 35 months...then you cancel and get your $2400 back....that doesn't sound right...
:iagree:
Do a thorough reading of the small print. The $2400 may be worth it to you for the warranty. But I'll bet you won't get it back.
I don't get the extended warranty, on ANYTHING!  Modern electronics are easy to work with/determine the problem. Parts can be pricey but they offer the warranty at $2400 to make money. The odds are you will not have a repair over $2400.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

MEK-Dangerous

If you are pricing out extended warranties, Luke at Steve White motors can get you a better deal than you can get elsewhere. 

Plumcrazzy

OK folks. Got more clarification on how this warranty works. It adds five (5) years to the factory warranty. $100.00 deductible. Takes effect when the factory warranty expires. Alan was correct--refund is prorated and the prorate is equal throughout the length (not heavy on either end). Have a sixty day trial look with 100% total refund if unhappy. No pre-approval for repairs. Any Chrysler dealer will honor warranty. Warranty is FCA (Fiat Chrysler America) which is a manufacture based item. While talking to the guys at FCA, we got to talking about the old Challengers/Cudas and how the new Challengers were pretty retro to the originals. The guy then dropped me a nugget when he said "Wait a couple of years for our next surprise--might have a name that resembles a well known, long, slender and mean fish." Tease?  :thinking: :thinking:

HP_Cuda

I got an extended warranty on my daily driver and found out it was a complete waste of $$$. Never had any big issue with the car and so the $$$ just went out the window. The other problem I have with the warranties is that they write so many outs into their contract you could get a bunch of run around.

As I remember there are some electronics that are excluded from the extended warranties.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cuda_mark

Quote from: HP_Cuda on March 23, 2018, 11:44:51 AM

I got an extended warranty on my daily driver and found out it was a complete waste of $$$. Never had any big issue with the car and so the $$$ just went out the window. The other problem I have with the warranties is that they write so many outs into their contract you could get a bunch of run around.

As I remember there are some electronics that are excluded from the extended warranties.

Yeah, I think things like Navigation systems arent typically covered.

MoparDave

service contract reimbursements are generally Prorated. never refunded 100% you will have to clarify that with your sales man.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

CudaMoparRay

Like most extended warranties these days on almost anything just like life insurance you play the numbers.
The vast majority don't need or will ever use them while if you are the very low percent with "bad luck" you will be glad you did.
In other words if gambling with those odds in Las Vegas I would bet against buying one.  :alan2cents: