Main Menu

Warranty Block tags

Started by Cuda Cody, January 08, 2017, 01:41:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Warranty & rebuilt block tag riveted to the side of the engine.

Brads70

I have a buddy locally that bought a 68 GTS Dart , it is an original 383 BB car but the motor is gone, he has all the exhaust manifolds etc...  He found a correct date code 383 block but the seller says it has no vin number stamped on the block? I'm suspicious wondering if someone milled it off? or?  Could it be a warranty block with no vin? What do I look out for, I need an education from "someone in the know"?   
Thanks Brad

Cuda Cody

No VIN engines are pretty rare.  They bring a higher price then other engines (assuming it's not a numbers matching).  Warranty Blocks did not have the VIN stamped by the factory, but sometimes the dealer would stamp them.  All Warranty Block should have a Riveted Tag or at least the hole.  A block without a tag (or hole) and no VIN is most likely an over the counter block sold by the parts department.  Those are still pretty rare and hard to find too.

Brads70

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 08, 2017, 02:53:10 PM
No VIN engines are pretty rare.  They bring a higher price then other engines (assuming it's not a numbers matching).  Warranty Blocks did not have the VIN stamped by the factory, but sometimes the dealer would stamp them.  All Warranty Block should have a Riveted Tag or at least the hole.  A block without a tag (or hole) and no VIN is most likely an over the counter block sold by the parts department.  Those are still pretty rare and hard to find too.

Thanks for the info, I'll check for the hole and/or tag.  :wave:

fc7cuda

Quote from: Brads70 on January 08, 2017, 02:46:00 PM
I have a buddy locally that bought a 68 GTS Dart , it is an original 383 BB car but the motor is gone, he has all the exhaust manifolds etc...  He found a correct date code 383 block but the seller says it has no vin number stamped on the block? I'm suspicious wondering if someone milled it off? or?  Could it be a warranty block with no vin? What do I look out for, I need an education from "someone in the know"?   
Thanks Brad

Brad,

Is he looking ar the rear of the block by the oil pressure sending unit for the number?

Tom

Brads70

Quote from: fc7cuda on January 08, 2017, 05:12:28 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on January 08, 2017, 02:46:00 PM
Thanks Brad

Brad,

Is he looking ar the rear of the block by the oil pressure sending unit for the number?

Tom

I'm not sure he didn't say? I don't think he has layed eyes on it yet, just talked to the seller?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Brads70

BIGSHCLUNK

Cool thread, I've never seen that tag on any block around here.

anlauto

I've never came across one in 32+ years either :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

This is the location they can be found...

Brads70

Well we went down tonight and had a look at this 383 block. It had 12 4 67 cast into it. No hole for a warranty tag and no vin numbers that I could find. It had 2 bosses drilled and tapped for what the seller says are A-Body motor mounts ? This is all new to me? It did have a series of numbers stamped on the machined area under the starter? Seller said they didn't stamp vin numbers till 68-1969?  I have pictures but my cell is dead and charging. I'll post them tomorrow.

Cuda Cody

If it's a 68 block (cast in 67) then the VIN would be on top where the bellhousing bolts up.   Each character was done one at a time unlike 1969 and up.  So the letters are kinda all over the place, but always in the same location.

Brads70

Thanks Cody, that's helpful!  :bradsthumb:

Question... with the  12 4 67 cast into it. How does it go 12th month 4th day 1967
or 12th day 4th month 1967?