Main Menu

Selling Parts and Getting Old

Started by 71vert340, July 29, 2020, 08:49:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I have a couple of Challenger flat hoods, one a 72-74, one a 70 with no crumple zones, and a 73 Charger hood listed locally for sale. I put $150 obo. These are not rusted but have a couple of small dings. Not a single call or text. OBO means make me an offer. I'm turning 68 years old soon and I'm tired of dealing with selling parts. I'm going to list them once more at $75 obo and wait a few days. I'm going to call a very good friend who has a couple of storage trailers for parts to see if he wants them for free.   If no interest, I'll load them on the trailer and throw them in the recycle dumpster at the local dump. Next will be good doors I have. Time to really clean house. I hate to scrap good parts but oh well. I'm losing my patience dealing with people and parts. When selling parts on here, I give a price and someone can counter offer. Most times, I practically give the parts away. It's getting easier to scrap the parts. I can be to the dump in 10 minutes. Just venting Thanks.
Terry

Chryco Psycho

Most of us are in te same situation collectin parts for years , Criminal to scrap it

71vert340

I agree. I'm hoping my friend will take them. He's 20 years younger than me. I might have to throw in a Harms shaker kit with bubble to get him to take them. He was over a couple of months ago and I loaded him up with Challenger interior parts and outside trim, doors, valances, seats, etc. for free. When my dad died back in December, my sisters and I had to go through my parents stuff that they wouldn't part with. What a sad task that was. I don't want my wife or kids to have to go through that for me.
Terry

mccannix

I know the feeling.
I was contacted by a member here interested in something I had and agreed to the price.
So I dug everything out, took a bunch of pictures, downsized them, forwarded about 10 emails, writing him a small novel how everything went together.
Searched out and secured a sturdy box after he agreed on price, bought and wrapped well in bubble wrap, got quotes from UPS, Fed-Ex.
Drove it to the post office ,weighed it, made up the label and told him we were ready to proceed and he agreed to send payment.
A couple hours later got the email stating he's changed his mine...gave me an apology for my time, etc.
About 4 hours of my life I'll never get back.
Bring back the old days.

anlauto

HA.....this is another reason why I don't like to ship stuff  :headbang:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

EV2RTSE

Yeah flat hoods used to be an easy sell for shaker conversions but now with the AMD shaker hoods on the market I don't think too many bother with them anymore. Any time I have brought doors to swap meets like Carlisle or Englishtown they have always sold quickly for me if complete with the glass and regulator, etc.  :dunno:

YellowThumper

Hope someone comes thru for you. I listed my flat perfect condition74 hood for nada. And crickets....
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

MoparLeo

Lets face it, big items like doors, fenders, hoods etc... have always been a problem to ship reasonably. The place to go were the local show, swaps but that avenue has been closed this year. Craigs list.. Try local to you car restoration shops or classic body shops. They buy parts, they just need to know that someone is selling them. Make more calls, e-mail more sits. You can't undo scrap.
Good thing everybody didn't do that years ago when we needed parts.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

anlauto

The reproduction Mopar market has moved forward by leaps and bounds in the last decade so selling old used parts has become and will continue to get harder and harder as more new parts come out.... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

RUNCHARGER

Yup: I know the feeling. Guys will pick up the phone and order repro Chinese junk for more though. Just because it's easy.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I bet a lot of suppliers will be out of business soon parts will become a lot more difficult to find  :alan2cents:

anlauto

...and if it wasn't for the "Chinese junk" , a lot of cars would not be getting restored.  I like nothing more then seeing a gutted shell being pulled from a field where it was stripped of parts and left for dead, but now someone is willing to breath new life it it...Chinese parts or not  :dunno:

Naming all reproduction parts as "Chinese junk" is kind of unfair as well. You can blame our Governments for making it too expensive to have parts manufactured in North America. A lot of reproduction parts are :dunno: designed here and just manufactured over seas.... Tony's Parts comes to mind....In my opinion everything he's ever released has been of the highest quality....I don't want to speak for @TONY  but I know for certain that some of his stuff is manufactured in Asia.

70 Challenger Lover

I've been wanting a decent flat hood for my Challenger project but every time I find one, it's so far away that it's just not worth it. I'd gladly pay $150 for one if it were closer to Southern California. Even when I find them in California, it's still 6 hours one way.

71vert340

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on July 29, 2020, 08:50:29 PM
I've been wanting a decent flat hood for my Challenger project but every time I find one, it's so far away that it's just not worth it. I'd gladly pay $150 for one if it were closer to Southern California. Even when I find them in California, it's still 6 hours one way.

If you drive all the way up here, I'll give you a hood for free. @YellowThumper is in So Cal and tried to get rid of one. Maybe he still has it? Hopefully my friend  who lives here will take the parts.
Terry :yes:

70 Challenger Lover

It's a great offer and I appreciate it! I'm just getting too old myself to spend 20 hours in a truck (each way).

Maybe Cody would bring it down when he goes to the fall fling. I'm sure I could throw some gas money his way along with a box of doughnuts!