Main Menu

Shipping from canada to northeast

Started by Jocigar, August 10, 2022, 08:14:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

Does anyone have experience with this ? 

Looking to purchase some used parts.   large but light box.

Hope to be able to tag as samples or gift for duties.    What carrier would be most cost effective?  I think UPS Comes in at $80 for ground shipment without duties, is Postal service cheaper or less paperwork ?   

I'm not in rush to receive.   

Thanks!

blown motor

@Jocigar  I've shipped parts to the US several times. Always used Canada Post. Go on their website at canadapost.ca and if you have the dimensions of the box and the weight you can calculate the cost. Alternately, if the shipper isn't to far from me I can get the parts from him and ship them from NY the next time I'm there. I go often. Where is the shipper from? Or, where are you from? He could ship them here and I could bring them if you're not to far from Rochester.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Jocigar

thanks all,   

The shipper is in Manitoba, coming to Connecticut.   

Shipping is on me so looking for cheapest, no duties method if possible.

I will mention CPC and the link.

anlauto

Pretty sure Americans don't pay taxes and duties on parts coming from Canada....do they ? :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

Quote from: anlauto on August 10, 2022, 11:53:46 AM
Pretty sure Americans don't pay taxes and duties on parts coming from Canada....do they ? :huh:
I've always wondered about that. Internationally a lot of countries do, often people in Europe would ask me to state a lower value on the CPC shipping label so they don't get hit with added taxes as bad. Knowing that, I put a lower value on my US sales too ( if possible) hoping USPS don't hold it back, if they do. If feasible ask the seller to put an insignifant value on the part if it isn't already pretty cheap.

PS- stay away from UPS, FedEx, Purolator.... Places like that have brokerage fees.

MEK-Dangerous

This was years ago, so I don't know if it's still the same. I bought a used car part on EBay from someone in Canada. I paid the shipping cost, and got the part. Then a couple of weeks later, I got a bill from FedEx for custom or duty fees(I don't remember how it was worded). I contacted the seller and asked him about the bill. He was a stand up guy and was willing to split it with me, but it was for less than $20, so I just chalked this up to a lesson learned.

blown motor

Quote from: anlauto on August 10, 2022, 11:53:46 AM

I don't recall taxes or duty ever coming into play on parts I shipped to the US and that's been in the last two years.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

jimynick

I believe that if it's for your personal use and it's auto parts, that there's no duty as per the Auto Pact. BUT, I have had to pay the HST (harmonized sales tax) on the converted to Canadian value. I wouldn't get too cute in evaluating the part. One time I lost my invoice and they got right on the internet and found it all. Once they catch you lying things go downhill pretty often.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Brads70

Not sure on going from Canada to USA but I know going from USA to Canada you NEVER use UPS . They are the WORST for " brokerage fee's" plus the expected taxes.  USPS is best IMO. Might be a little slower but MUCH cheaper when its all said and done.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

Quote from: Brads70 on August 11, 2022, 04:44:04 AM
Not sure on going from Canada to USA but I know going from USA to Canada you NEVER use UPS . They are the WORST for " brokerage fee's" plus the expected taxes.  USPS is best IMO. Might be a little slower but MUCH cheaper when its all said and done.  :alan2cents:

A lot of companies like MEGA Parts and Roseville Moparts don't want to use USPS anymore because of so many issues and complaints...I have two bumper jacks sitting in IL since May 4th from MEGA Parts, sent and lost by USPS ....Jamie sent two more UPS and I had them the same week....YES...their brokerage is crazy. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration