Main Menu

Shop Addition

Started by Shane Kelley, September 18, 2018, 11:10:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rich G.

Good for you. It's great that you have the space to be able to build it and enjoy your hobby even better!

71-440

Very cool! Wish I had more property to build something like that.  :bigthumb:

I'm stuck with a two car garage. Not allowed to park in the street in my subdivision and we have 6 cars!!!! :Thud:

What a pain moving cars around all the time. And limited room to work on anything.

Joe

nsmall

Congratulations.  Shane is always killing it.  I could totally see you doing this full time.  You are super talented!!!

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 73440 on September 18, 2018, 04:22:30 PM
Nice! I like your design, what are those , 4 x 6's, it's hard to tell from the picture.
The post are 3 2x6's laminated with a slot at the top for the truss to sit in. Then they run bolts through all of it to fasten the truss.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: anlauto on September 18, 2018, 04:05:23 PM
Quote from: Shane Kelley on September 18, 2018, 12:52:53 PM
Quote from: anlauto on September 18, 2018, 12:37:56 PM
You guys with money and property are so lucky  :worship: ...yea I'm jealous too  :crying:
Well......  I have a little property but the money not so much. While I don't consider myself poor I definitely wouldn't say I have plenty. I work 40hrs a week to pay bills and live comfortable but not extravagant.  Building and working on cars on the side pays for my extra's like shop, tools and cars. Maybe some day I will retire from the daily grind and do it full time like you Alan. That's why I'm trying to get all my shop stuff ready and done. Like to keep my options open just in case.

In my neck of the woods just a building like that would be a quarter of a million dollars easy.....I would have to work two lifetimes to have that kind of money. :crying:

That's why I like living out in a rural area. No building permits or any regulations you just mark out where you want something and build it. The addition for the bare building and floor cost just under $20k US.  I will spend another 10-20k insulating, wiring and etc...

blown motor

I got a quick estimate for a 30x50 with a 12' ceiling and in floor heat at about 100K. This would be with a foundation, not a pole structure.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

wldgtx

Very nice, I updated my barn last year to include a paint booth.

Any newer plans?
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

Timbbuc2

Congrats Shane, very exciting building a new shop. I wanted to add on to mine but my financial advisor said no, just clean up what you have. :thinking:
Get in, I'll drive

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Timbbuc2 on September 19, 2018, 08:13:01 AM
Congrats Shane, very exciting building a new shop. I wanted to add on to mine but my financial advisor said no, just clean up what you have. :thinking:

If by financial advisor you mean "wife" then unless you can negotiate a different outcome all is lost..... If by financial advisor you mean a legitimate financial advisor then of course they said no.... They say no to anything fun.... A real estate agent will also tell you no.... But are you building it for financial gain? Or to make you happy? 

Brads70

I'm green with envy!  :haha: seriously though, looks great, one of my must do things to do also!

dave73

Funny you posted this, while not the same, I've been planning on building a 16x16 pole barn in my yard for storage and what not. Couple questions, did you use 4x4s or 6x6s and what spacing apart for the main structure? What are your plans for the floor?

Quote from: Shane Kelley on September 19, 2018, 05:28:59 AM
Quote from: 73440 on September 18, 2018, 04:22:30 PM
Nice! I like your design, what are those , 4 x 6's, it's hard to tell from the picture.
The post are 3 2x6's laminated with a slot at the top for the truss to sit in. Then they run bolts through all of it to fasten the truss.

Thanks, I thought I saw slots but didn't think about laminated , I like that ties the roof and walls together good.
A man needs a 1000sf house and a 10,000 sf garage.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: dave73chally on September 19, 2018, 06:52:44 PM
Funny you posted this, while not the same, I've been planning on building a 16x16 pole barn in my yard for storage and what not. Couple questions, did you use 4x4s or 6x6s and what spacing apart for the main structure? What are your plans for the floor?
The post are 3 2x6's laminated together and set on 10' centers.  The floor will be concrete after I set the floor drains.
With a 16x16 you could use 4x4's and do 8' centers.  :alan2cents:

dave73

Quote from: Shane Kelley on September 20, 2018, 05:36:36 AM
Quote from: dave73chally on September 19, 2018, 06:52:44 PM
The post are 3 2x6's laminated together and set on 10' centers.  The floor will be concrete after I set the floor drains.
With a 16x16 you could use 4x4's and do 8' centers.  :alan2cents:

Perfect, thanks! Keep up the good work, looks awesome