Main Menu

New addition to the family

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, May 04, 2019, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Some may have seen my other posts, some may not have seen them but I've been looking at a 71 Barracuda convertible that has been up for sale off and on for the past couple years. I finally flew out there to inspect it and it's even better than I hoped!

The sellers are super nice and very accommodating. It was easy to trust them early on.

The underside is very nice with no evidence of any corrosion. The body is very nice and straight and the paint looks fresh even though it is a 10 year old paint job. No chips anywhere and tons of shine. All body gaps are fantastic and the best part is the doors open and close nice and easy like a modern car. Same with the power top.

There's a couple small things that aren't perfect but easily fixed when it's home. Stuff like surface rust on engine brackets. The boot is original to the car and truly looks new but most of the clips have broken so that will be one other thing I fix.

It's not a perfect 100 point car but it's about as nice as anything I'd ever want or hope for. Just driving it around town, I was surprised how many people gawked at it or waved to us. I see that in my other cars but never to the extent I saw with this car.

Once home, I plan to go over it carefully checking for any issues and of course to put in fresh fluids. There's a couple tiny things that need to be corrected like a radio when there should be none but my focus is going to be making it and keeping it as close to original as when it left the factory.

Brads70

Congrats, gotta love new additions! Enjoy!  :bradsthumb:

Jay Bee

Congratulations, she's gorgeous.  :twothumbsup: 

RUNCHARGER

Congrats. Nice to find one so original.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Beautiful!!!!   :1place:   :perfect10:  Congratulations.  :congrats:   :woohoo:

J-Code Jeni

Absolutely gorgeous and no wonder why she's turning heads!! Congratulations!!  :twothumbsup: What a great time to buy- you'll get to enjoy her all Summer long!

750-h2

Congrats, that's a gorgeous car!!

70 Challenger Lover

Once I get her home, I'll get some really nice photos posted. It was a gloomy day in Connecticut.

340challconvert

That is a stunning Barracuda VERT :perfect10:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

scf100

Well done, plane tickets are cheap when you consider your investment and looks like you did well
1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: 340challconvert on May 04, 2019, 04:38:05 PM
That is a stunning Barracuda VERT :perfect10:

I really can't believe no one ever bought it. He's had it for sale in various places for two years. I crawled everywhere on the car and I couldn't find anything wrong. It drives so nice and smooth too. I drove it with the top up and it was nice and tight and quiet. No air whistles along glass edges or anything. Once I go over it at home and give it a final certification, I plan to take it on some nice long cruises. The guy has only driven it 5000 miles since the total restoration. It needs some road time.

The guy wouldn't go a penny under $50k but I felt it was a real deal at that price for an all numbers matching convertible. It was so nice I would have bought it even if numbers didn't match. I've been scouring the Internet for quite some time and I've only come across a couple of these cars that haven't been cloned into Cudas, both at a much higher asking price and not nearly as nice in my opinion.

I think if he advertised it better, it would have been gone long ago. The pictures he had on eBay did not come close to doing this car justice. Even the pictures I took aren't as good as how it appears in person.

Husk Challenger

Great car!

Congrats and enjoy!
:bravo:
Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

anlauto

I'm glad it all worked out for you, I love happy endings  :inlove:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: anlauto on May 04, 2019, 05:16:36 PM
I'm glad it all worked out for you, I love happy endings  :inlove:

Me too! So many of us preach about inspecting cars before we buy and it's good advice but in this case, it was much nicer than I expected rather than worse. Probably the best thing that came from the trip was meeting the sellers. They turned out to be super nice people and it takes all of the stress out knowing I'll be wiring money to people I have actually met and now trust. I think if I had not met them, I'd be losing sleep until the car was on the transport worrying if they were trustworthy. I suppose the end result would be the same but now I can rest assured that it's all coming to come together nicely.

Topcat

Many years ago, back on the other site; @MEK-Dangerous was in contact with an acquaintance/member of that site, who had a Gold vert.

I recall the owner was a retired Post office person?  :thinking:

Was this that same car?

This seems too much of a coincidence.
The car and the plates indicate to me it was the same car.

Really nice car. Hope to see it in person someday.