Main Menu

So who owns a Hellcat also?

Started by 7E-Bodies, July 31, 2019, 10:29:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

moparroy

No Hellcat - but for mid life crisis I bought a 2010 6.1 SRT - then a few years later put an Edelbrok EForce kit on it. The Challenger was the only new car I have ever bought - did not want to fork over the difference to upgrade to Hellcat - but thought I'd make mine mine for something less.

soundcontrol

Quote from: moparroy on February 07, 2022, 05:44:37 PM
No Hellcat - but for mid life crisis I bought a 2010 6.1 SRT - then a few years later put an Edelbrok EForce kit on it. The Challenger was the only new car I have ever bought - did not want to fork over the difference to upgrade to Hellcat - but thought I'd make mine mine for something less.

How is the Edelbrock, big difference? Easy to install? They offered me a great deal at SEMA 2018, didn't do it though. Still thinking about a blower on the 6.1 I have for my 70 Challenger. Looked at Magnusons also.

soundcontrol

Quote from: Mopsquad on February 07, 2022, 10:14:55 AM

Thankfully my clinic is on 18 mins away - these things love to drink.

I drove mine home from the dealer, 500 miles, very carefully, icy roads, according to the computer I got 23.43 miles/gallon (0,89liter/10 km), I was very surprised.

Mopsquad

Quote from: soundcontrol on February 09, 2022, 11:16:03 AM

I drove mine home from the dealer, 500 miles, very carefully, icy roads, according to the computer I got 23.43 miles/gallon (0,89liter/10 km), I was very surprised.

You can get that kind of mileage with a feather foot and timing the auto shifts.  I get between 11-12 in the city, maybe 18 on the highway.  One tank of premium per week.

moparroy

Quote from: soundcontrol on February 09, 2022, 11:10:48 AM

How is the Edelbrock, big difference? Easy to install? They offered me a great deal at SEMA 2018, didn't do it though. Still thinking about a blower on the 6.1 I have for my 70 Challenger. Looked at Magnusons also.

Love it. I found one at a race shop in Canada that the guy had stocked in when the $C was at par or better after the 08 crash. He gave it to me at par years later which sold me on it. I had looked at ProCharger and Vortech as well. I liked ProCharger for the air to air intercooler but I did not like the 2" drop required in the rad mount for the plenum. When I found the deal on the EForce that sealed it for me. It looks real nice - had several people say it looks stock. It is really well made - the factory decorative valve covers are plastic - the Edelbrock ones are aluminum.
Definitely a noticeable difference and I only have the Edelbrock out of the box tune on it - just 4-5 psi boost. It has three settings for how quickly the boost comes on - they say use the #3 setting only for track and they are right - could not keep the wheels from spinning on turns so I keep it on #2. Couple times I have engaged traction control in 3rd (its a 6 spd) on cold tires without trying. Tires cannot hold it in 1st and 2nd. It comes on real nice even at low RPM. With cruise on in 6th up hills it accelerates even below 60 mph and you feel the throttle back off.
Yes it was pretty easy to install - their instructions are good - I read them several times before starting. I took my time - did it weekends over a few weeks as I was still working then and we did most of the work outside. Two things I would mention - make sure you have a cobalt drill bit set or size for the pin. The give you an HSS drill bit - no way that drills into a crank shaft. And make sure you have a crane or block and tackle to lift the blower onto the motor - it is really heavy. One more thing - I put a cold thermostat in after the blower went on - the instructions do not mention that. So the blower is technically street legal and emissions compliant - but the thermostat is not  :haha:. The problem I noticed was the rad fan ran constantly once it came up to temp - it seems that the program likes to have the air flow for the intercooler - with the colder thermostat it stopped.
Edelbrock support was great  - the kit was missing a ball stud for the decorative valve covers - they sent me a bunch right away - across the border no problem. They did not however reco the thermostat - probably to keep the kit emission compliant. Every now and again it will throw a low temp code and the MIL comes on - but its rare enough I had it pass etest no problem.

moparroy

Quote from: soundcontrol on February 09, 2022, 11:16:03 AM

Yes - all according to how you drive - I have got as good as 8 l/100km and as bad as 24 l/100km on a stretch.

7212Mopar

I drooled over a Hellcat at the dealership when it first came out in 2015. My SRT8 was 2.5 years old then. I just checked locally and the price for a loaded non-WB HC with leather seats is under $80k, this is a lot less than the crazy pricing when it first came out. The Redeye here starts at the mid $90k. Very tempting to trade in my 2012 which only have 28k miles on it in 10 years. On the other hand, keep my SRT8 and save the $ for retirement travel.

1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

soundcontrol

Quote from: 7212Mopar on February 09, 2022, 04:14:10 PM
On the other hand, keep my SRT8 and save the $ for retirement travel.

Driving a Hellcat = retirement travel!  :D

soundcontrol

Quote from: moparroy on February 09, 2022, 03:33:09 PM
Quote from: soundcontrol on February 09, 2022, 11:10:48 AM

Love it. I found one at a race shop in Canada that the guy had stocked in when the $C was at par or better after the 08 crash. He gave it to me at par years later which sold me on it. I had looked at ProCharger and Vortech as well. I liked ProCharger for the air to air intercooler but I did not like the 2" drop required in the rad mount for the plenum. When I found the deal on the EForce that sealed it for me. It looks real nice - had several people say it looks stock. It is really well made - the factory decorative valve covers are plastic - the Edelbrock ones are aluminum.
Definitely a noticeable difference and I only have the Edelbrock out of the box tune on it - just 4-5 psi boost. It has three settings for how quickly the boost comes on - they say use the #3 setting only for track and they are right - could not keep the wheels from spinning on turns so I keep it on #2. Couple times I have engaged traction control in 3rd (its a 6 spd) on cold tires without trying. Tires cannot hold it in 1st and 2nd. It comes on real nice even at low RPM. With cruise on in 6th up hills it accelerates even below 60 mph and you feel the throttle back off.
Yes it was pretty easy to install - their instructions are good - I read them several times before starting. I took my time - did it weekends over a few weeks as I was still working then and we did most of the work outside. Two things I would mention - make sure you have a cobalt drill bit set or size for the pin. The give you an HSS drill bit - no way that drills into a crank shaft. And make sure you have a crane or block and tackle to lift the blower onto the motor - it is really heavy. One more thing - I put a cold thermostat in after the blower went on - the instructions do not mention that. So the blower is technically street legal and emissions compliant - but the thermostat is not  :haha:. The problem I noticed was the rad fan ran constantly once it came up to temp - it seems that the program likes to have the air flow for the intercooler - with the colder thermostat it stopped.
Edelbrock support was great  - the kit was missing a ball stud for the decorative valve covers - they sent me a bunch right away - across the border no problem. They did not however reco the thermostat - probably to keep the kit emission compliant. Every now and again it will throw a low temp code and the MIL comes on - but its rare enough I had it pass etest no problem.

Nice! Gonna look in to that when I get the 6.1 in my Challenger. We have yearly testing here in Sweden also, but the changed the rules some years ago, a car 50 years or older don't need to be tested at all now, I just need to do one more on mine to get the 6.1 approved, after that I can add a blower. It wont pass with the blower, and I will run the risk of a cop pulling me over and discover that I have one but most cops here just like the muscle cars and don't care.

RusTy/SE

I have a 2016 R/T 5.7 Blacktop Edition in Redline Red Tri-coat Pearl. The car had just under 24k miles when I purchased it off of a dealer lot last May, now just over a hundred miles from turning 34k. Blacked out windows and it snarled when I cranked it for a test drive - I didn't realize until later that a previous owner had removed the mufflers and resonators. :) :D

I fell in love with the thing immediately upon seeing it and absolutely love it each time I crank it up, not to mention getting on it occasionally when there is enough room. It does illegal speeds effortlessly with the 8speed auto and my fiance and I always exchange goofy grins when I let the straight pipes 'speak' lol. :bradsthumb:

I'm very happy with it and always back in to the same spot at work in front of a short cement wall. The rest of the folks in the building all like it and I've been told it rattles windows on that side of the building when I crank it to leave :D

I can't imagine a Hellcat, Demon, or Redeye with virtually twice the power, but would like to ride in one someday!

And yes, I fully intend to have my R/T SE finished one day...
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach