Main Menu

So who owns a Hellcat also?

Started by 7E-Bodies, July 31, 2019, 10:29:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Wondering how many of us e-body fanatics are intrigued by or currently own Hellcats or the like. Also, is there a supplier that sells 1970 looking pistol grips for the manual shifted new cars. @MoparDave?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

R/T's 4 R/P

I have 3 older E-Bodies and a 2015 SRT with a manual.
I have friends with Hellcats, but I am happy with the SRT.
People ask if I am going to sell the old ones...nope (at least not all of them).  Totally different cars.
However, for a fun driver that i can also take to a periodic show. it's great.

I put a Barton Shifter in my 2015.  There are companies who make a pistol grip.  I think Barton does also.
I struggled with the mix of old and new.  I went with a black '8-ball' style for the knob.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Cudakiller70

7212Mopar

I went with the Barton one pound ball. Short throw shifter works best for me with weighted handle. The plastic balls are too light and just doesn't feel right.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Chryco Psycho

I supplied 100s of the pistol grip , all made by Gunslinger back about 9 years ago , Personally I liked theirs best , top Quality

soundcontrol

Been looking at Hellcats ads for a long time now, yesterday I did it, drove over 500 miles to a dealer, traded my 08 SRT for a 2015 Hellcat!
Drove the Hellcat back with illegal tires in very bad weather. (Winter tires are mandatory in Sweden in the winter).

Brads70

I own a few Hellcats and a Red eye but they are all 1/18 scale.  :crying:

JH27N0B

I have an '09 R/T 6 speed that I bought new.  I put a gunslinger pistol grip in it shortly after buying the car and like it a lot.  It was a 15 minute job to changeover the handle.  If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought the short throw kit with the handle and linkage.
My recollection is that Brewers bought out Gunslinger a long time ago, and they may still sell the Gunslinger pistol grip shifters for late model Challengers?
I have run out of garage space so have been trying to sell my 09.  I really find driving my vintage Challengers longer distances on prolonged highway trips to be uncomfortable, so I'd take my '09 to further away events.
I felt guilty about being another of the many with new or newer cars at cruises and shows, so last year bought a late 70s B body with front seats like a couch to be long hauler.
That's a problem with new Challengers, the AC, comfy heated seats, nice sound system and 20+ mpg highway will have you talking yourself out of driving your vintage E body that's hot, stiff ride and usually low mpg to many events.
If I had room, I'd be interested in getting a new Scat Pack R/T 392 widebody before they stop making them.
Check insurance too.  Lots of idiots and carjacking maniacs have gravitated toward Hellcats with resulting mayhem, and the insurance on them might be getting expensive as a result?

mrwfp

I do.  I bought a Deep Water Blue 2010 Challenger Classic R/T with a 6 speed in the fall of 2009. I replaced the stock shifter with the Hurst short throw shifter and added a Mr Norms pistol grip shifter handle.  It worked far better than the stock set up.  The stock shifter tended to miss the correct gate on downshifts while the Hurst shifter was more precise and I never missed a downshift with it.  The car was highly modified with Razors Edge front and real shock tower struts, a complete Eibach pro kit suspension swap, BWoody sway bar links, initially a Cervini T/A hood, later replaced with a Hellcat hood, and Hellcat rear spoiler with Down Force wickerbill.  I traded the 2010 in on a Go Mango 2016 Challenger Hellcat. Before trading, I removed the Mr Norms pistol grip shifter and Hellcat hood and sold them to a friend really cheap. I reinstalled the original shifter and stock hood before I traded it in on the Hellcat. In the below pic is my daughter's 2019 Charger, my 1970 'Cuda and my Hellcat.
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 426 hemi (InViolet)
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat (Go Mango)
1995 Dodge Caravan
2019 Dodge Durango

MoparJunkie

I have owned two. A 15' hellcat silver manual 6pd and then I owned a 19' Redeye (Pictured) 8spd auto. I hated the manual transmission in the hellcat, the gearing is terrible and there was no easy fix. The auto 8spd was awesome though, you could tell Dodge put all their effort into that. I went a best of 10.46@130mph all stock with drag radials on in the Redeye. It was a fun car and I miss it, but I sold it after a 1 1/2 years of ownership. I just prefer the e-bodies more and missed my 71 challenger project I sold. So I found a 70 RT project to replace it. Eventually I'll find a used Redeye, but I'm going to give a good 10-15 years and wait for depreciation. Right now they are priced (like everything else) high! They are also very heavy cars. Mine weighed 4350lbs and I had it low optioned to keep the weight down. Preferably I'd like to find a Demon instead, but that depends on what prices will be like in the next decade or so.

JP426

I have a 2016 Hellcat Challenger with the 8 speed auto. It is a very fun car and I really like it. I will never sell my 70 Challenger though. Two different styles of car, both are fun to drive.

usraptor

Don't have a Hellcat but I recently bought a 2019 SRT Scat Pack Wide Body with an Auto.  I can't believe what a rocket that 392 is.  I can't even imagine what driving a Hellcat must be like.  Unfortunately, I've only driven it twice since I bought it due to Utah's winters.  :'(   Can't wait for Spring.  :stayinlane:

Mopsquad

I've got 2018 Widebody Hellcat Challenger as my DD.  Soooo much fun.  Working on getting to a 1/4 track to play.

Thankfully my clinic is on 18 mins away - these things love to drink.

Matt M

I use to own this 2016 HC manual.
Fun car to drive.

dodj

I'd like to have a Hellcat, but I got sooo many expensive hobbies. I could afford it if I cut my hobby list down...fishing, RV'ing, hunting/shooting/reloading, scale models, computers..all inclusives..
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill