Main Menu

Some folks need to loss their driving privileges

Started by 1 Wild R/T, August 29, 2019, 08:07:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Just a rant...  Today I'm trying to go to my shop but traffic is ridiculously slow... There's a line of cars backed up, this is a medium sized road, two lanes going each direction & a center turn....   It took almost two miles before I got to the front & was able to pass the woman...  Not surprising she was probably eighty, also not surprising she could have been the cook from the Ponderosa's sister...  What was surprising was even with her lack of driving ability & even with a number of people honking at her & yelling at her (I was driving my convertible, I could hear them)  she was still texting went I passed her.....

Topcat

The most famous one:

Texting at a light, and you're behind.

You honk, they go, and light turns Red keeping you there again.   :pullinghair: :vipermanhiding: :madashell: :verymad:

JH27N0B

Texting and driving here is a moving violation.  So is talking on a phone except with a hands free device.  In fact, even holding a phone in your hand while driving is a moving violation.
Of course, probably only a small % of violators get caught.
What bothers me more while driving on area highways are people who drive 20+ mph faster than the majority of the other traffic and weave in and out as they race down the highway.  I typically drive a little over the limit, like 65-70 mph when the limit is 55-60, and some of these guys pass me like I'm standing still.  They must be doing 90-100 mph.  The worst are the ones who fly up behind you and then just before you think they are going to rear end you, swerve into the next lane to pass, apparently missing your bumper by inches while you cringe thinking you are about to get wrecked. Other times it will be two cars, like a guy racing through traffic while his buddy tries to keep up.
Where are the cops?  I never see these reckless drivers get caught.   :thumbdown:

7E-Bodies

Carry a 7 year old, lifeless girl from the remains of a texter caused head-on and you'll never sleep the same again. PUT THE PHONES DOWN AND DRIVE SAFE.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

RUNCHARGER

I blame the Police. Around here you can pretty much do anything you want other than speed. The cops sit in their cars with the radar set up and then play with their phones or whatever else in their dash. You can pretty much drive by going backwards and they don't notice. I was beside a cop in Abbotsford the other day and she just about sideswiped the Viper when she crossed the centreline into my lane, you know it, she was texting.
Sheldon

MEK-Dangerous

Quote from: Topcat on August 29, 2019, 08:13:42 PM
The most famous one:

Texting at a light, and you're behind.

You honk, they go, and light turns Red keeping you there again.   :pullinghair: :vipermanhiding: :madashell: :verymad:

About the same situation, a couple of years ago, I was behind a cop who was first at a red light. The light turned green, and his head never came up from his phone until the light turned yellow. So of course he drove through it, while I was stuck sitting for another 3 minutes. I wanted to honk at him, but I didn't want to risk getting a ticket. If he was a jerk, he could have cited me for road rage, or who knows what else.

BIGSHCLUNK

I can really relate/agree with what Brad is saying. I see soooooooo much of what he describes on a daily basis. SE Wisconsin has the same IPC (idiots per capita) as NE Illinois. And in my area we had a "no chase" directive from the chief of police for a long time. With a BIG disregard for stop signs/red lights. Now that order has been rescinded due to public outcry. There was just another front porch demolished late last night, lucky no one was killed. I could go on for an hour. I'm on the road for a time everyday, I should run my dash cam daily and make videos.  :unbelievable:

YellowThumper

Yep this was on the freeway the other day. Stop and go thick traffic they were driving it like a slot car without a trailer. Could not get far enough away from them consistently. They got no where farther but managed to piss everyone around them. Yes I used my phone...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

71-440

Same crap here in Atl. My buddy had a young girl whip up behind him pull out in the left lane and then cut in front of him hitting his bumper.
She lost control and hit the guard rail. Totaled her car.

Joe

Timbbuc2

Law just passed in Alabama called "Road Rage Law" What this law means is on a 4 lane or more you have to stay in the right lane and only use the left lane for passing and you can only do that for a 1-1/2 miles. To start with the right lane is most of the time very rough due to the larger vehicles, I think it will cause more accidents with traffic merging into the interstate. And now a Trooper is going to be monitoring traffic to see if a vehicle stays only for 1-1/2 miles :stayinlane:
Now for the smart phones, with GPS you can check your speed as well. SO why can the phone company's design where the phone is not operative above 20 mph, or what ever the magic number is.
Even hands free, well the one I have, you have to take your eyes off the road to touch the number on the screen.  Some of the folks here remember the day when we did not have cell phones and we did pretty good.
DISABLE CELL PHONES over a certain speed.
And by the way starting  Sunday  we have a higher gas tax .06 this year.
Get in, I'll drive

JH27N0B

So they call it road rage to drive in the left lane there? We have a road rage law here that can be enforced against people doing aggressive acts toward other drivers like brake checking and such.  Its a serious charge similar to reckless driving. And there's a law against dawdling along in the passing lane too.  Which is a standard moving violation.  I don't know how often driving in the passing lane is ever enforced.  Most roads are so busy there's tons of traffic in every lane.
I don't know how phones can be designed so that they know if they are being used by a driver, and cut off at speed, while passengers could still have theirs work.
It occurred to me after my previous post I shouldn't really blame the cops for what I see.  The court system has been curtailed in it's powers to prosecute many people.  There's been a real push to let people free on "non violent" charges in many metro areas.  The social justice warrior types argue the underclass and minorities don't have the means to pay fines or bail, thus it's not fair to arrest them or lock them up.
But if you have nothing to lose but your freedom, and they won't take your freedom, you have nothing to lose.  The result is many people sleeping and relieving themselves on sidewalks, shoplifting, possessing drugs, and driving like maniacs, sometimes without even having licenses, without any consequence.
There have been some terrible accidents around here that afterwards it's reported the driver responsible had a long record of serious traffic offenses, but still was out driving all they want.
A state trooper was killed in a head on collision with a wrong way driver a few months back.  Turns out the driver had a record several decades long of offenses including DUIs.  And as far as they could determine, never in his life had a drivers license!  No matter the troopers wife is now a widow, his young child has no father, as long as the poor driver didn't get unfairly treated by our bad justice system starting in the 90s. He got killed too, so apparently that was the only way he'd ever end up off the road?
Crazy world we live in now.

screamindriver

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 30, 2019, 07:13:10 AM
I blame the Police. Around here you can pretty much do anything you want other than speed. The cops sit in their cars with the radar set up and then play with their phones or whatever else in their dash. You can pretty much drive by going backwards and they don't notice. I was beside a cop in Abbotsford the other day and she just about sideswiped the Viper when she crossed the centreline into my lane, you know it, she was texting.
In this state most if not all the laws passed for "safer,undistracted driving" exclude police and judges from obeying them...So I seeit here as well...A patrol car with huge computer screen with the cop pulling someone over for the same thing he was just doing...Reminds me of the time I got wheeled over for a headlight being out...I told him "I'll fix mine and you can fix yours"..He had one out too...I got out of that one...