Main Menu

Sometimes I love Summit Racing

Started by tparker, June 08, 2021, 02:13:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I'm usually mixed with Summit, but sometimes I love them. Just got my Doug's Headers, starter, and other stuff. I ordered Sunday night and got it Tuesday early afternoon. With FREE shipping! :banana: :banana: :banana: I'm getting some TTI exhaust and those will cost over $100 for shipping  :crying: When you have to buy lots of stuff for a rebuild, shipping kills. I love the ingenious supplies Eastwood has but their shipping is a killer. Classic Industries occasionally has a part I need but because of their high shipping, I don't usually go to their site. I wish there were more local hotrod stores. The big local one caters to Chevy's and they typically have to order the part then stick you with the shipping and you have to go pick it up. 

anlauto

Try living in Canada....If you see a part listed for sale @ $100 plus $20 shipping....IN Canada with shipping/taxes/exchange we can expect to pay between $175-$180 CDN for that same $100 USD part.. :pullinghair:

Summit is one of my favorites too, because they at least tell you the total price to your door up front...no surprises....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Just waiting on UPS to deliver my ARH headers today for my Javelin.... had to pay UPS $400 brokerage fee's /tax/duties on top of the headers costs..... Did I mention I hate living here!  :pullinghair:

I also have a Summit order inbound, your right Alan at least you know up front the costs....

tparker

Ouch. Can you order and drop off at a US location then pick them up? Assuming you live near the border. I was thinking of having something shipped and dropped off in Nevada at one of Amazon's lockers. Just a thought.

Swamp Donkey

I just ordered a Silver Sport Transmission.  Their magnum 6 speed complete kit.  I'm looking at 1025 USD for shipping.  That's 1240 dollars Canadian.  Plus I will have to pay at least that amount again for taxes and duty.  It hurts to have to pay that much. 

I'm already over 10000 Canadian without brokerage fees and taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

anlauto

Quote from: tparker on June 08, 2021, 09:18:16 PM
Ouch. Can you order and drop off at a US location then pick them up? Assuming you live near the border. I was thinking of having something shipped and dropped off in Nevada at one of Amazon's lockers. Just a thought.
Assuming the borders were NOT locked down due to Covid  :pullinghair:  I have a US address, but I can't get to it...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Brads70

Quote from: tparker on June 08, 2021, 09:18:16 PM

I do have a US shipping address but like Alan said we are locked down can't even get a haircut never mind crossing the border!  :pullinghair:

To add insult to injury, UPS sends me an email saying delivery time has changed to 7pm ( after I waited around all day) Frustrating but Ok that's fine, Around 6pm I get yet another email from UPS saying we tried to deliver but no one was home, after 3 attempts ( this was the second according to UPS) I'll have to go pick it up somewhere?   I was home the whole time, no one came! I hate UPS never again! They have my phone number/email? I get ok maybe they are busy and couldn't deliver it. Frustrating but ok stuff happens I get it. But to send me an email saying they made an attempt to deliver it when they didn't almost sends me over the edge! Don't lie to your customers already! :verymad:  UPS just sucks!  I'm done with them, never again!  Over $500 dollars to deliver a pair of headers from NY to Ontario and they pull this crap!

anlauto

How about just ring the bloody door bell :headbang: :headbang:  So many times we walk outside to find stuff sitting on our porch :thumbdown:

Mrbill426

I miss the days of having walk-in retail speed shops like Super Shops and private owned stores.  Can't recall the last time I saw one.

Daveh

When I was a kid the local speed shops is all we had and we would spend hours bench racing with the owners.  They never rushed us stupid kids and were always willing to help.  Miss those days.  Many times they would come outside and lend a hand.  I hate driving by those places when I travel back home and seeing most boarded up.   :(

dodj

Quote from: Brads70 on June 08, 2021, 02:43:22 PM
Did I mention I hate living here!  :pullinghair:
I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, the most free country on earth (a friendly poke at Josh, could change, we'll see how badly Trudeau messes things up before he's finally gone), but cross border shipping is expensive, regardless of what country you are in. I imagine our members from places like Sweden, Australia, France etc would love to have our shipping rates. And delivery times.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Mrbill426

Bench racing... wow that is a phrase I have not heard in years!  Those were the days :bigthumb:
I wandered speed shops like I do hardware stores now  :))

Quote from: Daveh on June 09, 2021, 06:42:35 AM
When I was a kid the local speed shops is all we had and we would spend hours bench racing with the owners.  They never rushed us stupid kids and were always willing to help.  Miss those days.  Many times they would come outside and lend a hand.  I hate driving by those places when I travel back home and seeing most boarded up.   :(

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on June 09, 2021, 06:43:25 AM
Quote from: Brads70 on June 08, 2021, 02:43:22 PM
Did I mention I hate living here!  :pullinghair:
I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, the most free country on earth (a friendly poke at Josh, could change, we'll see how badly Trudeau messes things up before he's finally gone), but cross border shipping is expensive, regardless of what country you are in. I imagine our members from places like Sweden, Australia, France etc would love to have our shipping rates. And delivery times.

I agree, I find it funny when Americans complain about the cost of shipping stuff within their own country....they have NO IDEA...what it's like living on the "outside".....but I wouldn't trade it for anywhere else either :canada:

Skdmark

Quote from: Mrbill426 on June 09, 2021, 06:28:37 AM
I miss the days of having walk-in retail speed shops like Super Shops and private owned stores.  Can't recall the last time I saw one.

I miss Super Shops too. Use to go to the one at "6 corners" on the NW side of Chicago as a teenager. The smell of BF Goodrich Radial TAs lingering in the air of the show room floor. I picked up the Hooker headers on my Challenger for $75 from them as an open box special.

I wish those places were still around to take my girls to when getting parts for my cars. Super Shops is an e-tailer now on Amazon, e-bay etc.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Yeya93

Just fyi, you can plug in promo codes from jegs and speedway motors to summit racing online. I saved $120 on my Dakota digital rallye gauges last December! Speedway motors had a $120 off every $1000 spent, plugged in the code, and worked :D but now them coupons are kinda crappy, but any discount is a discount at this point.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk