Main Menu

Steam Engine on the I-10

Started by 303 Mopar, April 18, 2018, 06:44:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

HP_Cuda

When I was in England last year we had a trip to the Lakes which is about the mid of the country. We came around a bend and right beside us was the Flying Scotsman all decked out in green and billowing white smoke. It was as if I was in a dream, I'll never forget that day - very cool.

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

jimynick

You know, to really wrap your head around the fact that that loco would do 100mph+ you have to be able to envision the sheer weight and mass of it and then transpose your arse- which has experienced doing 100mph, into it. I can't really imagine the scale of noise and mechanical action going on at that speed and the sheer ballsiness of the men in it when it was going that fast. My God, you'd have to start slowing down for a station 5 miles before you got to it and even that might not be sufficient! Amazing machine and so great to see it survives and runs to this day! :twothumbsup:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

YellowThumper

Quote from: jimynick on April 20, 2018, 09:58:37 PM
You know, to really wrap your head around the fact that that loco would do 100mph+ you have to be able to envision the sheer weight and mass of it and then transpose your arse- which has experienced doing 100mph, into it. I can't really imagine the scale of noise and mechanical action going on at that speed and the sheer ballsiness of the men in it when it was going that fast. My God, you'd have to start slowing down for a station 5 miles before you got to it and even that might not be sufficient! Amazing machine and so great to see it survives and runs to this day! :twothumbsup:

Well stated!
Mike
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

TheAutoArchaeologist

I was fortunate last year to chase the Nickle Plate (NKP) 765 running back and fourth from Joliet, IL to Chicago on a beautiful day.

Ryan Brutt
The Automotive Archaeologist
TheAutoArchaeologist@yahoo.com
www.barnfinds.org

jimynick

Thx Ryan, that was some great footage and I especially liked how you had a hard time to catch the old girl in the beginning! LOL  Fabulous old machine, love it!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: jimynick on April 22, 2018, 09:15:19 PM
Thx Ryan, that was some great footage and I especially liked how you had a hard time to catch the old girl in the beginning! LOL  Fabulous old machine, love it!  :bigthumb:

I thought it would be going Metra, our local commuter rail line, speeds, maybe freight.  I was not expecting it to be going at the top speed allowed on the tracks, which I believe is about 60mph.  Also it was a 35 mph zone... that dead ended at a missing bridge.  So it wasn't perfect.

I follow old trains in my free time.

Ryan Brutt
The Automotive Archaeologist
TheAutoArchaeologist@yahoo.com
www.barnfinds.org