Main Menu

What do you think of the new 2020 Chevy design?

Started by Cuda Cody, December 05, 2018, 03:41:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Cool!

The problem is that it seems like standard cabs are about 10% of the total volume. So finding one used isn't the easiest thing in the world. And it seems in 2014 that the 8-speed is an option, not a standard item. So that brings the chances of finding something down even further. Is the 6-speed a terrible thing?

The reason I'm stuck on 2014+ is because in 2014 the gas mileage bumped slightly. 15/21 is the posted spec. I'm OK with that, just don't want to go any lower. Maybe people would barf seeing 15 in the city, but I'm actually oK with that. 21 on the highway is a huge improvement from what I have now, and that's where to me it matters most.

My Jeep is 14/17.5 at best.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

dodj

Quote from: cuda hunter on December 12, 2018, 05:07:17 PM
They are better in the snow than dodge or ford.
I've pulled a fair number of chevy's out of the ditch. Pretty sure it's more the skill of the driver and quality of the tires that make it good in the snow, not the brand of truck.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

When I bought my 15 my salesman asked me if I wanted the 8 speed and I said no. I couldn't see why 6 wasn't enough however I quickly found out the lowend torque wasn't there like the old Magnums. That 15 was so disappointing I ended up getting rid of it for my 18 with the 8 speed. The MPG didn't even figure into it.
Sheldon

usraptor

Quote from: dodj on December 12, 2018, 06:28:55 PM
Quote from: cuda hunter on December 12, 2018, 05:07:17 PM
They are better in the snow than dodge or ford.
I've pulled a fair number of chevy's out of the ditch. Pretty sure it's more the skill of the driver and quality of the tires that make it good in the snow, not the brand of truck.  :alan2cents:
I don't want to start a Chevy vs Dodge or Ford war here but I need to explain an experience I had with my Dodge Ram truck.  I can't speak for the new Dodges but the '07 had extremely poor traction even with winter snow tires.  When I bought my truck I made sure that it had positraction or whatever Dodge calls there's because one I live in snow county and two at the time I frequently towed a toy hauler with two full size ATVs inside and often camped off the highway on dirt roads.  I actually took it to back to the dealer to complain that the posi didn't work because when driving up my fairly steep driveway when it had snow on it only one rear wheel engaged and I had to engage 4 wheel drive to get up the driveway.  Ditto when pulling the loaded trailer on dirt roads.  The dealer jacked up the rear end and when we put the trans in gear only one rear wheel spun.  They then took a brand new truck off the lot that had posi and did the same test with the same results, only one rear wheel spun when the rear end was jacked up off the ground. The service manager even said that was jacked up and called the corporate office and was informed that due to the design/type of "posi unit" they used to activate the "posi" you had to apply braking pressure either via the parking brake or foot pedal.  We tried that and it worked to some degree.  So to activate the posi I had to almost fully depress the the parking brake and smoke my brake pads to get the posi to engage.  Corporate confirmed that with the "new" design this is correct and that there was nothing wrong with my truck or anything to fix and that this procedure was mentioned in the Owner's manual which we then found in a very brief sentence.  Stupidest design ever.  Hopefully they've changed this on the new trucks but living in snow country 5 months out of the year I'll never buy another Dodge truck until they can jack it in off the ground and both rear tires spin without having to first apply the brakes.  My Chevy posi works like it's supposed to and has never left me stuck or in a ditch.  It has nothing to do with the "skill" of the driver or tires in this case but an stupid design used by Dodge, at least in 2007.  Other than this issue I really liked the truck, especially the Cummins Diesel.

Chryco Psycho

I agree , that is a retarded sure grip design .
is there an aftermarket sure grip available for that diff ?

RUNCHARGER

There should be but that is a stupid design. My 05 was normal, I tried it out lots.
Sheldon

Guscuda

My 06 ram 2500 cummins has been helpless in 2wd since new, I have never seen it spin posi, take any tight turn on anything other than dry road and your spinning. I just thought I ordered the anti-spin diff but never got it. As for the 2020 Chevy, I'm not really digging it either, just too much going on upfront in my opinion.

RUNCHARGER

Not defending American's design but probably their logic is to prevent low performance drivers from going sideways with a proper suregrip at speed. You have to have a light pedal foot driving a Cummins in slippery conditions especially on the highway.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Or have practice drifting driving on ice more than 1/2 the year

kawahonda

I had some time to do more research, and it appears that 2014 isn't a "magic number" for gas millege.

It appears that it's the 8-speed auto that's giving 2+ more MPG, which is significant. A 2013 Ram 1500 w/ 8-speed is no different on the estimated MPG than a 2014 model.

So what should be my "minimum" year?

Seems like the 8-speed auto should be an "absolute" requirement. Would appreciate a back-up cam!

Seems like it should be very possible to find a used Ram 1500 4x4, standard cab, low miles, w/ 8-speed for $20,000. Leather is even better...I don't like cloth seats.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

usraptor

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 13, 2018, 05:50:19 PM
There should be but that is a stupid design. My 05 was normal, I tried it out lots.

If that had been my '07 in that picture it would have been buried up to the axles from only one tire spinning on the front and rear.

RUNCHARGER

I did a 1000 mile round trip with the 18. Coming back I did 350 miles on glare ice, unplowed snow etc. This truck has open differentials but I used the auto4WD feature and I love it. This is a great setup for the highway and is very surefooted. It would lose tractiion for a split second with the single track in the back but the traction/4WD control did their job very well and would cut in right away. I was considering putting an aftermarket Sure Grip in it (which would certainly be a benefit at low speeds in heavy snow) but I think I'll leave it alone.
I used to put 1000lbs in the bed of the Cummins and still was up on the wheel like a Sprint car driver in conditions like that.
Sheldon

ToxicWolf

I just want to know who their target audience is?  Who thinks that front end is attractive?  I don't get it.   :Thud:

anlauto

Much like every new design of a vehicle I think the target audience is current GM/Chev truck owners....someone who'll buy it reguardless of what it looks like...

I like my 2017 RAM and still trying to adjust my taste to the new style 2019 because I know when it's time to buy a new truck it won't be anything but a RAM .
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration