Main Menu

I am an E-Body Owner who needs some Chevy help please.

Started by jlemler, April 26, 2021, 07:56:51 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jlemler

My father passed about 3 years ago.  He left me in charge of my mother who is ill.  He left me with a 70 Cuda, 70 Challenger, 79 lil Red Express, 54 Chrysler New York with a 331 Hemi, 65 300 and a 1936 Chevrolet six cylinder pickup.  He is my Chevy problem:
I have not started it since he passed.
I cannot drive a standard.
I need to start it.
What should I do to the engine before I try to fire it up for the first time.  I intend to at least start it and start it once a month until I figure out what to do with it.  I just need advice on what procedure I should follow before firing this thing up.
Jeff

RUNCHARGER

It's old which is good as these old vehicles were more tolerant to poor storage than newer ones. Initially I would pull out the sparkplugs, squirt oil down the cylinders and turn it over with a bar and socket on the crankshaft bolt. I would probably pull off the valvecover and check to see that all the valves were free going up and down.
After that I would attempt to turn it over using the starter at first with the ignition unhooked.
Then it's time to look in the gastank if possible and see if it is full of rust or not. If it is, try to run a gas can to the carb and see if you can start the engine before repairing the fuel system.
Man, he had some righteous Mopars there.
Sheldon

Cudajason

sorry to hear about your folks.

I would charge up the battery, maybe put a little gas down the carb, hit the key and see what happens. 

Make sure it is in neutral and you have the clutch all the way on the floor.

Good luck!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Skdmark

Good advice above and don't forget to check the brakes.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

70 Top Banana

Good advice here. I also agree, check the brakes. I assume this is a stock truck and not a hot rod?  I think the master cylinder for a stock 36 PU is on the frame below the cab. You should have an access panel on the floor of the cab or be able to see it down on the frame when the hood is up. Check the brake fluid to make sure it is not dry. As long as it has some in it, fill it. Check the wheel cylinders for leaks. Check the hoses for leaks as well and to determine how brittle they might be. Then push the brake pedal down and see how much peddle you have and If it holds well. Back off and push the peddle down again a couple more times and hold the peddle. Then check the wheel cylinders and hoses again just like the first time. Assuming all goes well you may not have to repair or replace the brakes or bleed the brakes immediately.  If the fluid has been in the system a long time, I would bleed them at some point, assuming you need no other parts.

May as well check the coolant as well unless you are not going to drive it very far or let it run very long.

jimynick

Old stovebolts gained their reputation for longevity by being, as mentioned, long-lived and forgiving of abuse. If the engine is free, I'd check the oil and coolant levels, then disconnect the fuel line before the carb and put- if it doesn't already have one- a see through gas filter in line. It'll be 6 volt, so be prepared that way, but you can use a regular 12 volt battery to spin it over, but I wouldn't go beyond that or you'll be replacing  all the bulbs and instruments and coil. Pour some gas down it's throat and crank it. Don't be surprised if it fires and runs. Look at the filter to see if the tank's passing schmutz and act accordingly. Your dad had good taste in vehicles and imagine the smile on his face as he looks down at you getting his old fleet back in shape. Good luck and keep us posted as to how you make out.  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"