Main Menu

What do you use for a Jack?

Started by dodj, December 01, 2019, 04:42:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jay Bee

This is what I carry to avoid using the bumper jack. It's from a second gen Dodge Neon. The deep socket and extension are used to clear the Magnum 500 center caps. Once my Dynacorn piece is welded in I might have more faith in the bumper jack.

JS29

Stay with what you are using. Our bumpers are more decoration than any thing else.  :alan2cents:

mopar jack

I used a portable floor jack in a case for years on my cuda when i raced it. It work well at the strip to change from street to strip tires but eventually it started to leak and became unreliable. I would never again use a bumper jack on my cars as i had done for years as i believe it caused a lot distortion to the  top of the car. I had a 73 challenger bought new and after 20 years it looked like someone had pounded on top of the car. The same for my 71 Road runner.

dodj

I agree with staying off the bumpers. :o

Wondering...the newer car scissor jacks are really made for lifting at the pinch weld area of the rocker. Does anybody do that?
I lift from the spring/axle plate in the rear,  control arm or 'K' in the front.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

I have carried but not used a scissor jack , never used it though , I would lift under the control arms or diff no the pinch weld area

chargerdon

In process or replacing my 904 with an A518.   

To get car high enough to clear bell housing taking the 904 out, used an engine hoist, and put chains around the front bumper supports, then under bumper with old rug protecting the bumper, and hoisted entire front end up.   Rear was on jack stands...  was nervous...but it worked... 

Will repeat when i put in the A518, damn transmission jack adds a good 10-12 inches of height.  Ill take a picture when i do it.

dodj

Quote from: chargerdon on December 14, 2019, 05:45:43 AM
In process or replacing my 904 with an A518.   

To get car high enough to clear bell housing taking the 904 out, used an engine hoist, and put chains around the front bumper supports, then under bumper with old rug protecting the bumper, and hoisted entire front end up.   Rear was on jack stands...  was nervous...but it worked... 

Will repeat when i put in the A518, damn transmission jack adds a good 10-12 inches of height.  Ill take a picture when i do it.
Always thought backing the rears up onto floor ramps before trans removal would be a good idea? Then when you lift the front you should be in great shape? :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Katfish

$400 for a used Kwik Lift was money well spent when I did my 518 swap.

cuda dad

When I do carry a jack it is an aluminum floor jack like this https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-aluminum-rapid-pump-racing-floor-jack-64545.html?cid=paid_google
Most of the time I don't even have a usable spare.