Main Menu

Paint bubbles

Started by Manuel, August 16, 2020, 09:06:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Manuel

Hello,

!971 340 Cuda, painted by mercedes here in Guatemala some 20 years back.
When finished I inspected and found some very tiny bubbles in a section.  Really just 3 maybe but shop decided to strip to metal again and paint again. Great job.
Maybe 6 years later I saw them again.   More and more during the years.
I will try to put some pics to see if you all could help provide ideas for the cause for something like this.

Will paint the car again so looking for advise as for to prevent this from happening again. 
Car has been with a cloth cover and a plastic over that inside a hangar.
Drove it very seldom during those years.

Would also appreciate advise as to what paints to use for the different sections of the car. Want the best there is.
A honda dealer has a very good paint shop, they will do the job.
Will use hemi orange color, is there a code for them to make it here if I can not import your suggested brands?
Please include the paint/product to use for the front grill, the silver sandy finish.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Best regards,

Manuel

Manuel

No corrosion history in any of the affected areas. 

Manuel

Manuel

RUNCHARGER

There are better paint guys than me here but that has to be stripped to bare metal IMO. It could be from bad surface prep or incompatible materials but none of that matters. It has to be stripped to bare metal, cleaned properly and carefully refinished with compatible materials.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Solvent pop... The top coat dried to quickly trapping solvent below the surface....   It was semi-common during that time period.. Paints were changing due to environmental concerns.. The new stuff wasn't great & lots of painters didn't know how to make the new products do what they wanted... Some guys mixed products with less than great long term results....

Unfortunately I agree with Sheldon, you need to take it down to bare metal...

JS29

Manuel

Tks for the replies Wild and JS, excellent Info. to know the cause. Makes sense.

We will for sure go dawn to metal.

Shop tells me they mainly use PPG Global paint.  How would you all grade that brand of paint?

It might be better to let them use the product they know well or is there a better brand that is handled the same as PPG and provide a nicer finish?

What do we have to buy in order to make that silver/grey sandy finish to the front grill??

torredcuda

As said solvent pop or maybe water in the air lines. PPG is a very good paint,you should be able to get the fomula for V2 Hemi Orange (Dodge) or Tor-red (Plymouth) in a new base/clear. 

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/1971-Plymouth.html
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Skdmark

The textured argent paint for the grill will be difficult.
There are a couple of sources here in U.S., but I don't think they will be able ship the paint to you due to environmental regulations.

Alternatives if you can not get the paint made locally or have it shipped in:
1. Ship your grill to a restoration shop in the U.S. have them refinish and ship it back.
2. Strip the grill and paint the grill body color. Some EV2 71 Cudas have body color grills, while others have argent  (depending on build date).
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Shane Kelley

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here. But...   That's definitely not solvent pop. Solvent pop looks like tiny pinholes close together and caused from the top skinning over to fast and the lower coats still releasing gases/solvents. Solvent pop reveals itself by the time the paint has started to cure. Looks nothing like these pictures.

I have seen this issue caused by a few different things. One thing that was mentioned is poor surface prep. Other possibilities are moisture in the air supply used to spray primer and or paint. This is my main suspect. Covering the car in a humid environment can cause this but the root problem leads back to paint prep or air supply quality. Climate controlled environment with some air movement would probably keep this from happening even with the prep issues.  :alan2cents:

Manuel

Thanks for the comments.

Think I should be able to request the textured argent paint be shipped by land.   Is it the light or medium tone?
How many cans of spray should I order?

Which is the best one to buy and were?

anlauto

I was going to guess moisture, but I don't know anything about paint so  :-X  :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

71 is dark argent. 1 can will do your upper grill and lower trim with some left over.

Manuel

And would this be a good brand??