Main Menu

How comfortable are the stock seats?

Started by Swamp Donkey, September 27, 2020, 04:38:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70vert

For me it is not about comfort, they are OK. But the lack of side support is a pain and limits more spirited driving IMHO.

Brads70

I didn't find them comfortable at all. Mind you to be fair, they were old. Driving to Carlisle ( 7 1/2 hours driving time each way) I needed a chiropractor by the time I got there.   I tossed them and went with Hyundai Tiberon leather seats and really like them. MUCH more comfortable and adjustable. Also took the opportunity to mount them further back as I found driving with my legs at a 45 degree angle and using the sides of my foot to brake and accelerate also most uncomfortable. Seems like they were mounted for the Roloff 's

blown motor

I had some additional foam added to mine and I find them quite comfortable for an afternoon drive. After an all day trip my butt cheeks are feeling it. The biggest issue is that the vinyl doesn't breathe and they become sweaty. 
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

FSHTAIL

5'10" 220...
The seats are a little menacing on my back, I'm 41 now, bad back, the stock seats feel like they recline back too far for me, I've got longer legs and shorter arms, T-Rex? I don't know

I just ordered some new seats that are on their way now, they resemble Factory but have more side bolster and they recline, I'm taking a stab at the dark with the U since I didn't see any bad reviews about them, but I didn't see any reviews at all really about them. 

Here is a picture comparison, I wanted something that didn't look too crazy aftermarket or out of place, I just wanted something with more beside bolster and the ability to recline. 

The original seats aren't a picture for my car, just something I found at work while I was on break.
But my seats appear to be the same design, 70 Style Cuda
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

nsmall

Quote from: blown motor on September 28, 2020, 06:57:22 PM
I had some additional foam added to mine and I find them quite comfortable for an afternoon drive. After an all day trip my but cheeks are feeling it. The biggest issue is that the vinyl doesn't breathe and they become sweaty.

I have more foam so they are nice and stiff.  I have clothe in the areas where I sit so it breathes decent.  73 Cuda.

Im 41 and 6 feet weighing in at a wimpy 160.  I am comfortable while driving 1 hour trips.  I have never owned or desire to own new cars and drive crap cars so I am used to cheap seats so I dont know any better.   

Scooter

Did not really care for the stock seats. Near no support so you slide around quite a bit if not going in a straight line and feel like you are sitting on the floor pan. Legs are near straight out as opposed to a sitting position. You will sit quite a bit higher with most newer seats unless you are going to do modifications. You get used to that pretty quickly though. 

:alan2cents:

b5cuda

I've wondered how much seat height (or lack thereof) plays into this discussion.  Standard E-body seats are lower than a-body seats which are lower than b-body seats. 

Mr Lee

6', 170 lbs
I wish they slid back and leaned back a little further and had more side support.  My shoulder belt rubs the side of my neck which I find the most annoying thing of all.  If the seat just went back another inch and a half I'd be fine.
Also, the seat bottoms are a little short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

MOPAR MITCH

I ditched the factory buckets (in perfect condition), because they simply don't have enough lateral support... hips, ribs, etc.   I searched for a couple years and sat in many different seats.  I also wanted lighter weight seats... the factory seats are a solid 45 pounds each without the floor glides (they add another ~5 pounds each). 

Eventually, I chose a Corbeau GT8, fixed, well padded and great lateral support... and without those upper annoying shoulder wings.  The brackets were easy to make (two plates) and adapt to the factory floor glides (which are not on the same plain level that most aftermarket glides are designed for).  Weight... 18 pounds each seat.  I could drive cross country as the seats were very comfortable.   

However, I later purchased some full reclining seats, well padded, high side bolster for very good lateral support ... from JC Whitney... I was able to sit in them and compare to others before I decided... and the price was very reasonable. (Sadly, I believe JCW recently went out-of-business.. after about 100 years.)  Weight each seat: ~30 pounds; again, was able to adapt the factory floor glides by making a couple simple plates for adapters.  With the seat being reclining, that adds to better long-driving comfort.

Whatever you choose will more than likely be better in comfort than the factory seats.  Although they are very nice styling, they lack lateral support.  Perhaps having them redone with more bottom padding will help in comfort, but to find a seat with better lateral support and padding, and possibly sitting a little higher, and... repositioning the seat so that it moves further back (if you need)... would be worth the search.

Although a bit expensive (actually, not too bad) I've always liked the overall comfort and styling of the Corbeau GTS-II ... on my desired list!

Search and sit... until you find a seat that fits your personal body.

Scooter

Quote from: Mr Lee on September 30, 2020, 05:35:11 AM
6', 170 lbs
I wish they slid back and leaned back a little further and had more side support.  My shoulder belt rubs the side of my neck which I find the most annoying thing of all.  If the seat just went back another inch and a half I'd be fine.

^^ This, I find it annoying as heck as well. The seats from the 08 I put in have that belt collector at the door side, so at least the belt is now off my neck. I miss the optional shoulder belt from my 70 Charger.. just never used it. What does everyone else do about the shoulder belt?

Brads70

6', 170 lbs

This might work for you? Easy and cheap?
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=106740.0

blown motor

I don't find the shoulder belt a problem and I don't have the seat all the way back. I sat in a friend's 72 Challenger and it felt like I was on the floor. That is so easily solved by adding some foam to the seat. I sit much higher in mine and it's thick enough that I've never felt I was sliding sideways. If I did slip a little, so what! This is an old car, that's part of the character of it. Put the pedal down and enjoy the ride!
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Dakota

Quote from: Scooter on September 30, 2020, 09:16:29 AM

^^ This, I find it annoying as heck as well. The seats from the 08 I put in have that belt collector at the door side, so at least the belt is now off my neck. I miss the optional shoulder belt from my 70 Charger.. just never used it. What does everyone else do about the shoulder belt?

I put in shoulder belts from XV Racing because I can't stand using the fixed shoulder belt that came with my '70.   I'm happy with them so far.  The XV retractor that's mounted near the floor is black and so is my carpet, so it pretty well disappears.  Might be a pain if there was a lot of traffic in and out of the back seat but that's not going to happen often if at all.

Mr Lee

Quote from: Brads70 on September 30, 2020, 12:22:29 PM
6', 170 lbs

This might work for you? Easy and cheap?
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=106740.0
Yes, that is probably going to happen this winter.  Thanks.

Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

dodj

Quote from: Dakota on September 30, 2020, 03:53:33 PM
Quote from: Scooter on September 30, 2020, 09:16:29 AM

I put in shoulder belts from XV Racing because I can't stand using the fixed shoulder belt that came with my '70.   I'm happy with them so far.  The XV retractor that's mounted near the floor is black and so is my carpet, so it pretty well disappears.  Might be a pain if there was a lot of traffic in and out of the back seat but that's not going to happen often if at all.
I have the XV belts as well. Highly recommend.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill