Main Menu

Tach Signal ???

Started by anlauto, February 11, 2021, 01:41:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Okay....thinking in advance here, but....Where the heck would I find a tach signal on a crate 392 Hemi ? :looney:
I'm using Dakota Digital gauges if that makes a difference.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

Don't you buy a harness and cpu to go with those crate motors? Must have an output from the cpu I would think for the RPM? Just guessing here. :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on February 11, 2021, 01:56:24 PM
Don't you buy a harness and cpu to go with those crate motors? Must have an output from the cpu I would think for the RPM? Just guessing here. :dunno:

YES...I bought everything....read the instructions several times, no mention of a tach... :headbang:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

anlauto

Thanks for the link...sounds weird :looney:

@GoodysGotaCuda @303 Mopar  What have you guys done ?

SRT392

Alan,   i'm trying to figure that one out also. if someone chime in let me know.  also the pwrr steering pump (modified 15% less) says it needs a cooler..  anybody have a part number or pic??

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: anlauto on February 11, 2021, 06:57:47 PM
Thanks for the link...sounds weird :looney:

@GoodysGotaCuda @303 Mopar  What have you guys done ?
Sorry I have a megasquirt ecu, it has its own tach output. I can't speak for any Mopar harnessing or ecu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

anlauto

Okay, thanks for chiming in  :drinkingbud:

Dmod1974

Post up the instructions for that CBID module....  I'm thinking (and hoping since I want to use a Hellcrate) that will allow you to use the BIM-01 module from Dakota Digital to pull ALL of those signals right off the CANBUS by hardwiring in or using a DLC Y cable.  Tach, ECT, EOP, etc....  The only thing I am uncertain of is how you send the A/C request and VSS signals back to the ECM.  Hopefully those are wired to the CBID.

Edit:  To be clear, most of the signals other the vehicle speed and fuel level could potentially be broadcast and pulled off of the CANBUS so you won't have to install a bunch of redundant 2nd sensors and wiring for the gauges.  Just one cable between the gauge and BIM-01, and another between the BIM-01 and DLC.

anlauto

WOW....I wish I had the slightest clue of what you were talking about....I'm way to old to understand even half of those acronyms mean :('

Dmod1974

CBID - CANBUS Interface Device.  It comes with the Mopar Controls pack.  Post up the instructions and we can decipher it more.

ECT - Engine Coolant Temp

EOP - Engine Oil Pressure

DLC - Diagnostic Link Connector (19 pin where you plug a scan tool into)

CANBUS - Controller Area Network bus.  Think of it like an ethernet cable for car computer modules.

The BIM-01 is a Dakota Digital expansion module that listens to messages being broadcast on the CANBUS.  It literally plugs into the DLC connector.  It'll pick up all of the signals needed to drive the gauges and sends them directly to the gauge module without needing a bunch of dedicated gauge sensors and wiring mess.

Again, how you get vehicle speed and A/C request back to the ECM is unclear; the main Hellcrate manual doesn't cover that.  I ASSume the CBID one will.  If you wire it to that, then the BIM-01 will pull that signal too.

anlauto

There's only two areas in the instructions CANbus is mentioned.
First in the Body Harness description where it says (not used in this application)
and a page talking about a Star connector

Dmod1974

There are no other instructions with that module itself in a separate bag?

anlauto

No...no other instructions...
But I guess this is what you're talking about ? https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm?ptype=product&product_id=752&category_id=646&mode=prod
I watched the video...

Is it as simple as it sounds ? I can simply plug it into the DLC port and a way I go ?

Dmod1974

Yup...  Those are all basic signals present on any CANBUS.  There are likely a ton of others too: oil temp, boost, oxygen sensor values, fuel trims, throttle position, intake air temp, probably hundreds if not more that can be read by devices like that.

I'm still puzzled how you feed vehicle speed and A/C request to the Mopar ECM though....  I guess maybe it doesn't NEED vehicle speed the way they programmed it, but something has to tell the ECM when to turn on the A/C compressor and there are no wiring instructions in the manual.