Main Menu

1970 Challenger AM radio face plate

Started by 750-h2, January 12, 2018, 10:33:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

I am planning on buying Tony's heater control face plate for my Challenger as mine is cracked an I want the new chrome surround. I now need a new AM radio
face plate as I want new chrome on it also. Does anyone reproduce this plate or do I need to send mine out somewhere to get it rechromed.   If so can anyone recommend a good shop to have this done. Thanks

Cuda Cody

Aren't people just using a chrome paint pin?   :huh:  I guess I'm not fully understanding what part of the radio you are talking about.  The knobs on the 1970 are chromed plastic and there's a few places that sell them.

750-h2

I am talking about the thin chrome recessed line that surrounds the front of the radio. I have used the chrome paint pens to do this in the past but it looks more silver than chrome.

filmsurgeon

Quoteauthor=Cuda Cody link=topic=5212.msg73965#msg73965 date=1515782848]
Aren't people just using a chrome paint pin?   :huh:  I guess I'm not fully understanding what part of the radio you are talking about.  The knobs on the 1970 are chromed plastic and there's a few places that sell them.
I semi-restored mine myself.  I cleaned up the faceplate; used "chrome" paint pen for the edge surround; redid the station lens white lettering; installed new repop knobs and chrome push-buttons.  Yes, the "chrome" paint pen is not ideal, but it was cheap, and doesn't look too bad.

Cuda Cody

Lloyd Lind

Look up bare-metal chrome for model builders, they have it on eBay. Looks just like chrome on the thin chrome rim on the heater controls and radio. Super easy and cheap it's chrome metal almost like tin foil with an adhesive built in. Make sure the rib is perfectly smooth, trim a square hole in the middle to go over the radio in one piece and then rub it in to place and then trim off the extra with a Sharp exacto or razor blade. Easy.

Roadman

Quote from: filmsurgeon on January 13, 2018, 07:06:43 PM
Quoteauthor=Cuda Cody link=topic=5212.msg73965#msg73965 date=1515782848]
I semi-restored mine myself.  I cleaned up the faceplate; used "chrome" paint pen for the edge surround; redid the station lens white lettering; installed new repop knobs and chrome push-buttons.  Yes, the "chrome" paint pen is not ideal, but it was cheap, and doesn't look too bad.

Looks damn good.   :perfect10:

750-h2

Very nice filmsurgeon! Wondering how you redid the station lens white lettering? Are the numbers and letters recessed on the backside of the lens?

750-h2

Quote from: Lloyd Lind on January 17, 2018, 04:41:50 PM
Look up bare-metal chrome for model builders, they have it on eBay. Looks just like chrome on the thin chrome rim on the heater controls and radio. Super easy and cheap it's chrome metal almost like tin foil with an adhesive built in. Make sure the rib is perfectly smooth, trim a square hole in the middle to go over the radio in one piece and then rub it in to place and then trim off the extra with a Sharp exacto or razor blade. Easy.

Good idea! Have you done it.

Lloyd Lind

Bare- metal foil fix, yes I have done it. I'm getting ready to do a radio now. Just bought some more for it.

750-h2

Quote from: Lloyd Lind on January 17, 2018, 06:45:55 PM
Bare- metal foil fix, yes I have done it. I'm getting ready to do a radio now. Just bought some more for it.

Can you please post a picture when your done.  Thanks

Daveh

I just redid my whole dash and the chrome paint pen is the way to go.  Don't overthink it.  I always do and I'm glad I didn't this time and it looks great.  Good luck.

Jay Bee

Quote from: 750-h2 on January 17, 2018, 06:30:22 PM
Wondering how you redid the station lens white lettering?
So am I
As for access, once the faceplate is removed you can remove the "station lens" piece and the lettering is on that part's backside.

filmsurgeon

Quote from: Jay Bee on January 18, 2018, 06:32:11 AM
Quote from: 750-h2 on January 17, 2018, 06:30:22 PM
Wondering how you redid the station lens white lettering?
So am I
As for access, once the faceplate is removed you can remove the "station lens" piece and the lettering is on that part's backside.

I removed the old paint using lacquer thinner.  I filled in the recessed lettering using a white paint pen.  After the paint was partially dry, I carefully removed the excess paint using a Q-tip and lacquer thinner.  See before and after photos.

Jay Bee

Thanks. I didn't know that the letters, numbers and graphics were recessed.