Main Menu

Aftermarket AC

Started by dave73, July 30, 2018, 08:48:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

Who hear has an aftermarket AC system and what brand did you use? My dash is non-ac so I'd be looking into that slim units that mount on the bottom side, somewhat hidden. Are there any aftermarket options that do not add a ton of bulk to the engine bay? I like how clean mine currently is

Timbbuc2

I bought mine from Classic Air, they do have several options to choose from. My Challenger was a original AC car so I bought a kit with everything under the hood. Not bad to install.
Get in, I'll drive

GoodysGotaCuda

I have vintage air. I did not mount it as per their directions because I didn't want visible fasteners on my firewall. It's working pretty well overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

chal340

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on July 30, 2018, 09:48:01 AM
I have vintage air. I did not mount it as per their directions because I didn't want visible fasteners on my firewall. It's working pretty well overall.

And no issue to install the compressor in the engine comp? brckets, pulleys. please do you have pics. Thanks
70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.

CudaMoparRay

Vintage Air already there but here are some unsorted pictures hope these help you.

CudaMoparRay

The way it looks now.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: chal340 on July 30, 2018, 12:18:58 PM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on July 30, 2018, 09:48:01 AM

And no issue to install the compressor in the engine comp? brckets, pulleys. please do you have pics. Thanks

I have a 3rd gen Hemi. Pics may not be too helpful. The only common part is probably the firewall bulkhead area.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

73_Cuda_4_Me

Just finished Vintage Air install in the 73 Cuda... 'Most' of the engine bay installation went well... had to modify drier canister position to clear my grille, and also had to notch compressor mounting bracket to allow alternator to pivot closer to the engine. Had to get new 2-pulley alternator to have v-belt line up properly.

Getting the 4 2-1/2" duct hoses up under the dash is really not possible, but they are 'mostly' hidden...

I'd grade it 'almost perfect fit'...

I would do it again if I had to choose over... I took my time, back-tracked here and there to customize as needed for my installation... One full week for installation. No leaks, good cooling, and plenty of fan!

:alan2cents:
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Djdimart64

I am considering Vintage Air for my A/C. It looks like my install will just like yours except I have the entire car already disassembled. Did you need a double crank pulley or am I seeing a single belt driving all accessories? I looks like you do not have power steering, but maybe I am just blind. I would be elated if the single crank pulley works.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. My wife insists we have A/C, I would prefer windows down to better hear the rumble of the engine.

73_Cuda_4_Me

I have double crank pulley for power steering... only thing I had to add was a double-pulley alternator, as the single pulley one I had did not line up with compressor and alternator when mounted on Vintage Air mounting bracket...

I had to go with 56.5" belt for my setup...

BS23H3B

Djdimart64

I looked harder, I see the PS pump partially obscured by the fan blade. Thanks for the reply, it really helps.

Jonny

Hey what water pump pulley did you use? 

73_Cuda_4_Me

Mine is a stock water pump pulley with viscous fan drive and stock 2-groove crank pulley for alt/wp and ps...

BS23H3B