Main Menu

Automatic column to floor conversion

Started by hemicap, May 22, 2019, 04:50:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

hemicap

Does anyone have the Locations of the holes needed in the floor for an automatic with a console, I'm looking for a reference point to measure from and the size of the holes needed to convert my column shift to the floor.

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site from Panama @hemicap
sorry I don't have the measurements handy for you but someone here will have them  :bigthumb:

Claudia

Best and easiest way would be to set the position of the rear console mounting bracket first and then weld that one in the car.  Next you can bolt everything together (front two console mounting brackets to the console and then the console on the rear console mounting bracket in the car) and set the front two bracket positions for welding those two in the car.  Lastly, mark and drill the hole through the floor for the shifter rod.

First picture below shows the rear bracket placement which has a raised section in the bracket which lines up with the raised section in the floor (second picture).

hemicap

so the only actual hole through the floor is the round one, nothing under the shifter ? Also how big is the hole?

Claudia

Correct, only the one hole for the shifter rod in needed in the floor.  I do not recall the actual size of the hole.  I ust marked my floor based on the cover that gets attached to the floor and just cut it smaller than that.

anlauto

The hole is just centered in the bump in the floor....if I had to venture a guess I would say it's about 3"  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Here are some photos showing dimensions using the driver side seat belt hole as the datum point.

anlauto

Here's something NOT to do....I just got an email tonight from a member here having difficulty installing his console and shifter, nothing seems to line up....(for the record, he didn't install the brackets)

So I borrowed a photo from above and drew a straight line from the two forward bolts back towards the shifter.....then I took his picture and tried the same line....didn't work so well....so now he'll have to figure out which bracket to move...I'm suggesting the front bracket
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on May 24, 2019, 01:31:22 PM
Here's something NOT to do....I just got an email tonight from a member here having difficulty installing his console and shifter, nothing seems to line up....(for the record, he didn't install the brackets)

So I borrowed a photo from above and drew a straight line from the two forward bolts back towards the shifter.....then I took his picture and tried the same line....didn't work so well....so now he'll have to figure out which bracket to move...I'm suggesting the front bracket

Looks to me like the bracket that hold the linkage needs to be removed and welded in 180 degrees?

headejm

:iagree: Front bracket looks to be installed incorrectly.

hemicap

Great info guys, thanks. It took some trial and error but I think I have it all set. Whats the purpose of the big round spring, I don't have one of those, what's the best vender to get one from?

anlauto

@hemicap Was your car an original column shift automatic ? Do you have the linkage that hooked the steering column to the transmission ?

CudaMoparRay

hemicap

yes it was a column shift and yes i have all the parts and rods from it.

anlauto

Quote from: hemicap on May 27, 2019, 12:42:09 PM
yes it was a column shift and yes i have all the parts and rods from it.

Can you post a picture of them ? I'm trying to put together a set for my car. I want to put a column shifter back in the car. I could be interested in buying everything you removed ?